Dogomania

pits

Guest Anonymous

Why do you think we hear so many horror stories over pit bulls  

1. 1. Why do you think we hear so many horror stories over pit bulls

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']I can't submit a vote to this as I think that both are equally to blame in these cases[/quote]

K... you are exactly right. People see the high demand for pits used to fight so they breed "pits". Alot of times the ones people breed to fight are not even purebred. Then stupid people don't take the responsibilty of training them according them to their breed and then when they get out they will attack if provoked. It is NOT the dogs fault! If someone murders someone they will just (usually) get thrown in jail, but when a dog attacks someone even if the dog did not kill they still put the dog to sleep.

pits are an awesome breed but why do we find so much bad noose about them.

You are asking a question that you dont want to hear the real answer....

The reason why not just the "pitbull" have such a bad rap is becuse of both...breeders and owners....some people just want a dog and get a breed they know nothing about and dont research it......

That is the problem of ALL BREEDS...even the german shepard....

Guest Anonymous

I agree, I think it's both ends. Breeders who care should find out what's going to happen to thier dogs... maybe even insist that most of thier puppies get fixed! I know this will not stop the problem, but it might mean that those who just want to breed for fighting wont be able to as the dog is fixed. Unfortunatly there are alot of breeders who are in it for the money and don't care where the pups go. (I think they must not interact with the pups... how could you condem something so cute to that kind of life?) :(

Puppies......every dog goes threw the news...no matter what....It's the pitbulls time now....alot of dogs will go threw it and this has been going on for years...There have been dog bites of pitbulls but they are only a small percentage....I read that one year pitbull was second and the COCKER SPANIEL was first....so I'm just waiting for the poodle to come becuase no one expects those to bite or change or attack or kill people.....

Puppies,
The reaseon the pit is getting it at the moment, is because the press and the anti dog bragade are joined, somewhere, somehow. breeds are picked off at ramdom, yes the pit has had alot of press recently, but go back a bit the gsd had loads of bad press, the dobe, at bit, the rot loads,
in most cases once the breed is in the press, the iffy's want one.
If breeders were only more selective, if only owners were more responsible, if the press only stopped picking on one breed at a time, and told of the hoorors that crossbreeds have done, then the general public would know the truth.
Roo

Guest Anonymous

Everyone here seems to be on the right page with both owners and breeders are to blame with the pits. So, no need to the pile more wood on the fire. :D

• 11 months later...

The pit bill is the most exploited dog in the world.
And humans need to stop attacking the pit bull.
because when the pit bull is extinct, because of these
judgemental idiots, what are they going to start attacking
next.all dogs are beautiful,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

[b][color=darkblue][/color]I couldn't choose either one, since both are to blame, but here is my thinking:

A pit bull most often requires an educated owner. The owner has to make the effort to raise the dog correctly, train it and love it and make it a part of the family. Pit Bulls NEED to be socialized and part of the family, thats the type of dog they are. To treat them otherwise just asks for trouble.

Breeders need to ensure that their dogs come from good lines, both physically and tempermentally. Breeders are also responsible for those first few weeks of socialization AND for ensuring that their dogs go to the best of homes.

[/b]

• 2 weeks later...

[color=green][/color] I've studied this subject for a long time, and I have come up with a theory that since cock fights have begun pits seemed to be the best choice to be a fighting dog. With this in mind they bred them for this purpose. I find that they have been bred for so long to be such fierce fighters that it's hard for them to get that out of their systoms. I have the feeling that it's been etched into their instincts and they just can't help themselves. If you have an agressive pit it could be a mental disorder too. An aggressive pit can come from a healthy home or a bad home. It's not nessesarily the owner or the breeders' fault in some cases, but in others they are both to blame. It depends on the situation I guess. That's just what I think don't get me wrong. I love Pits with a passion! And, I just can't stand them being picked apart like this!! *cries*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[color=blue]Although I definitely believe both breeders and owners share the blame for the horror stories we all hear about pit bulls, I think owners share a bigger share for two reasons:

1. Although instinctual behavior is signigicantly more prevalent in canines than in humans; I firmly believe that a dog that was bred to be vicious can 'beat' his genes with a strong, dominant, yet loving owner. However, someone who is getting a pit bull that was bred for ferociousness probably isn't going to be very responsible or loving. :hmmmm: This leads to the more significant conclusion that,

2. The demand for vicious pit bulls by irresponsible potential owners drives irresponsible breeders to supply ferocious pit bulls. If society can get rid of the demand (through harsher penalties that are actively enforced); or if society could make it unprofitabe to supply (again using the previous tactics) - maybe the problem wouldn't be so bad and everyone could benefit - especially the poor dogs who are depending on man to do the right thing for them.

Aurelius Victor [/color]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='NoisyTiger'][color=green][/color] I've studied this subject for a long time, and I have come up with a theory that since cock fights have begun pits seemed to be the best choice to be a fighting dog. With this in mind they bred them for this purpose. I find that they have been bred for so long to be such fierce fighters that it's hard for them to get that out of their systoms. I have the feeling that it's been etched into their instincts and they just can't help themselves. If you have an agressive pit it could be a mental disorder too. An aggressive pit can come from a healthy home or a bad home. It's not nessesarily the owner or the breeders' fault in some cases, but in others they are both to blame. It depends on the situation I guess. That's just what I think don't get me wrong. I love Pits with a passion! And, I just can't stand them being picked apart like this!! *cries*[/quote]

Ok, I am not trying to argue with you but I do have a few comments about your post. Dog fighting and human aggression, or ANIMAL aggression and human aggression are not the same thing. A dog can have both animal and human aggression, but if a Pit bull is animal aggressive it will not lead to human aggression. They are not related.

Fighting dogs (pit bulls) were bred, to NOT bite humans...in most cases "man biters" were culled. Would you like to get into the ring with an injured, man biting dog fighter? Probably not so much. It is not likely that dog fighters are the cause of human aggressive Pit bulls, it would just be far too risky for them to have a man biting dog....not to say there are none.

I personally think that the people, not dogs to blame are backyard breeders. People trying to feed the demand for human aggressive Pit bulls. They are breeding litter after litter of dogs with unknown, and possibly dangerous temperments and backgrounds. They are not checking the parents, the grandparents, the dogs health..they are simply making a profit.

Also I think a lot of the time that you hear about a "Pit bull attack" or a vicious Pit bull that they are not always Pit bulls. I think there are a lot of uneducated breed guessing going on...and if the dog has a blocky head, stocky body, short sleek coat and cropped ears, or not...it can only be a Pit bull.

Not to mention the fact that there are a lot of mixes, and they seem to never mention the mix...which could possibly explain the aggressive nature of the dog. If the mix is a guardian breed..then that would explain why it was acting aggressive, would it not? But instead it's only the Pit bull being blamed.

I am not saying there are no so-called "bad pit bulls" out there, but I do not think they got their by themselves. And dog can be tought or conditioned in some way (abuse, neglect, isolation) to be aggressive. It simples takes a person to do it. Even if there is a Pit bull who was born aggressive, their breeder should be educated and care enough about the breed and the public to NOT breed the probably aggressive parents. If there is an aggressive Pit bull, the owners should have the sense to put it to sleep.

Sadly we cannot rely on the senses of the owners, because far to often they are simply senseless, clueless and or know exactly what they have and like it. In those cases the dog gets blamed unfairly.

I just do not believe a dog wakes up one day and goes, hrmmm Im really bored today..lets go maul my owner. Sorry to be so harsh..but there are signs along the way leading up to each attack. Maybe the owner is too neglectful, stupid, uneducated, careless, dangerous..because they are looking for a vicious dog...but there are signs, if you look for them. Any dog, of any breed can or will bite under the right circumstances. The problem is the wrong people have their hands on this breed.

It is a very powerful breed, it does have the capablity of doing some serious harm...it can bite, maim or kill. But just because it can, does not mean it will.

After all that rambling on and on, I think it's people who are to blame. I think people at some point either neglected to cull the aggressive dogs from greed, demand or lack of knowing any better. And the dogs cannot stop or help what a human has started.

[quote name='ThePoutyPitbull'][quote name='NoisyTiger'][color=green][/color] I've studied this subject for a long time, and I have come up with a theory that since cock fights have begun pits seemed to be the best choice to be a fighting dog. With this in mind they bred them for this purpose. I find that they have been bred for so long to be such fierce fighters that it's hard for them to get that out of their systoms. I have the feeling that it's been etched into their instincts and they just can't help themselves. If you have an agressive pit it could be a mental disorder too. An aggressive pit can come from a healthy home or a bad home. It's not nessesarily the owner or the breeders' fault in some cases, but in others they are both to blame. It depends on the situation I guess. That's just what I think don't get me wrong. I love Pits with a passion! And, I just can't stand them being picked apart like this!! *cries*[/quote]

Ok, I am not trying to argue with you but I do have a few comments about your post. Dog fighting and human aggression, or ANIMAL aggression and human aggression are not the same thing. A dog can have both animal and human aggression, but if a Pit bull is animal aggressive it will not lead to human aggression. They are not related.

Fighting dogs (pit bulls) were bred, to NOT bite humans...in most cases "man biters" were culled. Would you like to get into the ring with an injured, man biting dog fighter? Probably not so much. It is not likely that dog fighters are the cause of human aggressive Pit bulls, it would just be far too risky for them to have a man biting dog....not to say there are none.

I personally think that the people, not dogs to blame are backyard breeders. People trying to feed the demand for human aggressive Pit bulls. They are breeding litter after litter of dogs with unknown, and possibly dangerous temperments and backgrounds. They are not checking the parents, the grandparents, the dogs health..they are simply making a profit.

Also I think a lot of the time that you hear about a "Pit bull attack" or a vicious Pit bull that they are not always Pit bulls. I think there are a lot of uneducated breed guessing going on...and if the dog has a blocky head, stocky body, short sleek coat and cropped ears, or not...it can only be a Pit bull.

Not to mention the fact that there are a lot of mixes, and they seem to never mention the mix...which could possibly explain the aggressive nature of the dog. If the mix is a guardian breed..then that would explain why it was acting aggressive, would it not? But instead it's only the Pit bull being blamed.

I am not saying there are no so-called "bad pit bulls" out there, but I do not think they got their by themselves. And dog can be tought or conditioned in some way (abuse, neglect, isolation) to be aggressive. It simples takes a person to do it. Even if there is a Pit bull who was born aggressive, their breeder should be educated and care enough about the breed and the public to NOT breed the probably aggressive parents. If there is an aggressive Pit bull, the owners should have the sense to put it to sleep.

Sadly we cannot rely on the senses of the owners, because far to often they are simply senseless, clueless and or know exactly what they have and like it. In those cases the dog gets blamed unfairly.

I just do not believe a dog wakes up one day and goes, hrmmm Im really bored today..lets go maul my owner. Sorry to be so harsh..but there are signs along the way leading up to each attack. Maybe the owner is too neglectful, stupid, uneducated, careless, dangerous..because they are looking for a vicious dog...but there are signs, if you look for them. Any dog, of any breed can or will bite under the right circumstances. The problem is the wrong people have their hands on this breed.

It is a very powerful breed, it does have the capablity of doing some serious harm...it can bite, maim or kill. But just because it can, does not mean it will.

After all that rambling on and on, I think it's people who are to blame. I think people at some point either neglected to cull the aggressive dogs from greed, demand or lack of knowing any better. And the dogs cannot stop or help what a human has started.[/quote]

*Claps* Wonderful post! :D

[b]ThePoutyPitbull wrote:[/b][quote]Dog fighting and human aggression, or ANIMAL aggression and human aggression are not the same thing. A dog can have both animal and human aggression, but if a Pit bull is animal aggressive it will not lead to human aggression. They are not related. [/quote]

[color=blue]Outstanding post, PoutyPitbull! :klacz: :thumbs: :grins:

I completely agree that agression toward other animals & agression toward humans are totally unrelated. The Bulldog is a perfect example of a breed that has overcome a ferocious tempermant through the actions of responsible breeders. At the height of the 'baiting' era in 16th century England, Bulldogs were bred to fight not only other dogs; but monkeys, bulls, bears, and even lions! :shocked!: Athough the average Bulldog today wouldn't harm a fly (my puppy Ivan runs from 2 inch lizards and praying mantis's); one Buldog trait that have survived is his unwavering loyaty to man. In the 'baiting' era, any Bulldog that displayed agression toward man was not only not bred from, but killed. :cry: Obviously, the evolution of the Bulldog took centuries, and it was due to the actions of resposible breeders and owners who recognized the breed had merit beyond baiting other animals. I'm sure the Pit Bull will also survive, as long as there are those who love the breed, or dogs in general; and understand that the entire breed should not be punished for the actions of a few irresponsible humans.

Aurelius_Victor :shiny: [/color]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Gunny Bunny']

Your poll is inaccurate, some people may think that "Fighting Dogs" in of themselves are the problem. The balance of other ideas are only periperals.[/quote]

And WHY are they fighting breeds, may I ask you? Because of PEOPLE. SOoo they are made 'bad' because of one of two things. OWNERS or BREEDERS. The human race disgusts me. Especially people like YOU :evil:

How on earth did the breed come about anyway? Humans. Why did HUMANS create them? Hmm?
Wanna know a secret? Golden Retreivers used to be vicious pets.. And Pits were top family dogs then...