Dogomania

Puppy's Shots?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abusser'][quote name='Anonymous']
I would say the local vet should know what diseases are endemic BUT if you plan to bring the pup to the US at any point you probably should do the standard DHLPP+Parvo shots - ask your vet if the L (for leptospirosis) component is needed in your area - the others are for standard diseases found in dogs all over AFAIK.[/quote]

Thanks that's the kind of info I wanted![/quote]

Sorry I skipped the schedule but its normally 8, 12 and 16 weeks for shots
and then a booster at a year.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='abusser'][quote name='Anonymous']
I would say the local vet should know what diseases are endemic BUT if you plan to bring the pup to the US at any point you probably should do the standard DHLPP+Parvo shots - ask your vet if the L (for leptospirosis) component is needed in your area - the others are for standard diseases found in dogs all over AFAIK.[/quote]

Thanks that's the kind of info I wanted![/quote]

Sorry I skipped the schedule but its normally 8, 12 and 16 weeks for shots
and then a booster at a year.[/quote]

My vet suggests shots at 6, 9, 12, 16, and 20 wks. I suggest check with the veterinarian in your area. AND look at this diploma, if you're worried about his credibility.

Guest Anonymous

Here is one for Tic Doc and Guest..due to the recent uproar over the yearly vaccination..Do you or don't you give yearly boosters??? :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']Here is one for Tic Doc and Guest..due to the recent uproar over the yearly vaccination..Do you or don't you give yearly boosters??? :wink:[/quote]

I do - my feeling is anyone raising dogs had better be raising dogs that can handle the mild challenge to the immune system presented by killed vaccines. I think we do the dogs no good service by reproducing ones with allergies and other immune system response problems.
OTOH I do not use the Lepto component in pups due to the high incidence of problems with it - plus in my area the vaccine does not cover the endemic strains and in the last 15 years the two dogs that did come down with lepto in my area both had been immunized for it!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']Here is one for Tic Doc and Guest..due to the recent uproar over the yearly vaccination..Do you or don't you give yearly boosters??? :wink:[/quote]

There is so much controversy concerning the issue of yearly vaccinations. There are so many well needed research projects dealing with cancers, tumors and other illnesses being brought on by the vaccine itself. Even the Veterinarians are divided on this issue. Some Vets say yes, give boosters, some say it is not needed.

You can have the titer checked in the blood serum to see at what level the vaccine is at.

My concern is: The combination vaccines (you know the all-in-one). This is a concern because of the terratogenic effects that could occur. Scientists are getting more educated every day. With more education comes different ways of doing things.

Cancer used to be unheard of in dogs (animals). Now, it is becoming more common.

I said all that to say......Yes, I do vaccinate yearly. I also vaccinate for Lepto because we are in the country with lots of wildlife and stock tanks.

I think the Rabies issue is something to be debated. If it's a 3 year vaccine, then why vaccinate every year? This may be a can of worms, but it is something that bothers me. Are we chemically killing our animals with kindness?

Guest Anonymous

Here they give the first Rabies that last one year...Then after that year the second last 3 years... I too vaccinate every year but was wondering because of all the controversy..

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']Here they give the first Rabies that last one year...Then after that year the second last 3 years... I too vaccinate every year but was wondering because of all the controversy..[/quote]

What I find funny (as in odd) is that all the controversy seems to have come about due to a discovery in cats that ONE cat vaccine if given in the same site every year MAY cause a tumor in some small percentage of cats.
Local reasonable (IMP) resolution? my vet rotates locations every year and notes on the charts the sites used to vaccinate the animals now.
In 30 years plus all my childhood years until I had dogs as an adult on my own I've only ever seen two vaccine reactions - one was for a cheap kennel cough injectible vaccine by a company who's products I will no longer use (it was cheap I should have known!) and once to lepto component given to pups that were just on the edge, unknown to me, of having a case of coccidia.
I use only a 5 way combo shot for the diseases that kill dogs and use the one judged the best by people I trust. I think any dog that is not able to meet such a mild immune system challenge should a) not get the shots and b) not be part of a breeding program no matter how pretty they are.