Dogomania

Flea and Tick prevention

Bronxie

Guest Anonymous

I use Frontline plus on all my dogs. They have said a few bad things about it recently but when you consider Lyme diesease and etc that can come from ticks it is the best that I have found. I have tried numerous things. I also have used Advantage on my sensitive skined Cocker and it broke her out but the Frontline did not. That is just my .02 though. :D :P :D

Guest Anonymous

First we used Revolution (she was already using it when we got her), which didn't do a darn thing for ticks. We only found that out after a day at a state park and lots of time spent picking ticks off of her! We just started using Frontline Plus...highly recommended by my vet. We put it on a few days ago, and she seems to have no reaction to it. I don't know how long it takes for a reaction to show up though.

Guest Anonymous

I use Advantage but am going to switch over to Frontline because I feel that Advantage does not kill all the fleas. For 4 years I have not had a proublem with fleas untill this year. Now I have two flea bags! :-? Does anybody know if the fleas are just really bad here in the western part of the states???

Guest Anonymous

Beagle:
I live in California and the other owners haven't mentioned anything about a bad case of flea bites. I use Advantage and havent had any problems with fleas so i'll stick with it until then.

Guest Anonymous

I live in Washington and have had very little problems with fleas, we use advantage. The winter this year was not cold enough to really kill off the bugs, so it might be alot worse this year then the last. Mind this is the first year that I have used such methods, as they were unavailable to me when we had our last dog. I also feed a little brewers yeast with with my dog's kibble, she loves the flavor and will rarely eat it without the yeast (spoiled :roll: ) and this seems to help as well, plus it's healthy. If your fleas get really bad I would suggest spraying the yard... this will not stop the problem but will help lessen the amount of fleas on your dog for a while.

Spray your yard with tick/flea repelant and then find a drip or whatever it's called.....I recommened taking everyons advice...on whether or not it's good...but most of the time depending on if your dog stays home 99% of the time....the tick/flea repelant should be fine...My labe never had a tick or flea on them and we lived in the country and did the spray....

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Bronxie']I tried going on frontlines site but I can't get through :x Do you need a prescription from the vet to use it? Sorry about all the questions. I just don't feel comfortable letting Elle go to the park without any protection. :cry:[/quote]

No you do not have to have a prescription. You can just stop by a vets office and pick it up or go to [url]www.healtypets.com[/url] has it also. I use the Frontline Plus now. I know in the eastern part of the states we did not get a cold winter and the ticks are awful. Have not seen much of fleas yet Knock on wood!! :D :D :D

Guest Anonymous

Frontline Plus kills flea eggs along with all the other stages of fleas and ticks tooooo (hahaha) (I sound like a commercial) :D :D

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Bronxie']What methods do you guys use to prevent your dogs from getting attacked from these little critters?[/quote]

I use either the Preventic or Tick Arrest collars for ticks - they work great by paralyzing the mouth of the tick so it cannot bite. The Amitraz from the collar gets into the dog's skin oils.
As for fleas I use a 210 day floor spray By Zodiac which has pyrethrins and Precor in it - kills any adults and stops the babies from growing up.
I also occasionally bathe the dogs esp if they have been out with other people's dogs in the same area using Sulfodene Scratchex shampoo.