Dogomania

My dog is leaking

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My dog appears to be leaking. While lying down on my bed or hers I have found in her in quite large wet spots and I can't understand why. She's four years old and very housebroken and doesn't seem to be doing this on purpose. I am taking her to the vet today but wanted to do a bit of investigation on my own before I got there. In all other ways she's as healthy as ever it's just the leaking. Anyone know what this could be?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='mmartin']My dog appears to be leaking. While lying down on my bed or hers I have found in her in quite large wet spots and I can't understand why. She's four years old and very housebroken and doesn't seem to be doing this on purpose. I am taking her to the vet today but wanted to do a bit of investigation on my own before I got there. In all other ways she's as healthy as ever it's just the leaking. Anyone know what this could be?[/quote]
a variety of things can cause this best bet really is the vet

Guest Anonymous

I am having the same trouble with my 2 yr old girl (Ridgeback). I have had her to the vets, had urine samples, xrays etc. She has had 4 courses of antibiotics and it is still happening. They also tried her on hormone tablets, this did not work either. I was talking to a grey hound breeder (they seem to know a bit) on the weekend. They suggested boiling parsley in a boiler and giving her 2 cups of the water a day for about a week. Said it fixes up kidney infections. Have don't this for 5 days so far, and problem still happening. Let me know what the vet says. Ta.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Seems this problem is quite common ? There are several posts on this subject - but no one has come back with any results yet ?

Guest Anonymous

After ruling out by urine specimens and cultures and xrays that it is not a urinary tract infection or a kidney infection/ailment, it is usually found that some spayed females will start to become incontinent - Not all. Sometimes no reason is found, and sometimes there can be a small tear in the urethra from spaying. There is a medication out (I cannot remember the name of it) that can usually help some of these cases, but working with your vet or going to an internist and working together can be very beneficial. Just remember, your dog isn't doing this on purpose and please don't scold him or her. A housebroken dog can become dreadfully ashamed of being incontinent. There are also doggie diapers that can be used especially during the night.

Guest Anonymous

There is a medicine called Phenylpropanolamine (PPA) that is used on inconsistant dogs, estrogen(DES) is also used. Talk to the vet again and ask about increasing the hormones or about the PPA and see if it would help any. As guest said remember that it is not the dogs fault and I am sure they do not like it anymore than we do!! :wink:

• 5 months later...
Guest Anonymous

My Luna is 11 years old, she is a pound puppy I got many years ago. I am not sure if she is inconsistant bc of old age or if she Has a UTI. She has never had a UTI and is not prone to them, but I have washed her bowl out over the last few days bc the new cat likes to put food in her bolw and is gets dirty more often, I have been using dish soap could this cause it ? Before I put them in the dishwasher but I dont have one any more :-? she will be off to see the vet in a day. I just do not know what can cause a UTI. Luna is very house trained.

Thanks
Dee

• 3 months later...

I know that I'm really late on this one, but you might want to check that it really is urine. I know we used to come home to find amazingly large wet spots on the bed, which we first thought to be something along the sort of leakage.

After a few hours of observation we discovered that she was actually chewing on a toy or licking her paw and the wet spots were actually umm... slobber. The poor thing would salivate so much that she would move around on the bed to avoid the wetter areas (and at times she would just find herself right in the middle), creating an even wider area. This led to the institution of covers for the beds; just throw them off at night and a quick jab with the foot closest to her when you could tell she was doing this during the night ;)

Funny thing is that this was the only time beyond when you had something she wanted (food...) that she ever drooled...

• 3 years later...

My 9 year old spayed husky just started leaking today. At first I did think it was slobber but literally watched a puddle form under her from the back end of her. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow but the thing is that it does not smell or look like urine. It is perfectly clear and has no smell almost like she is leaking water. I take her outside and she does her business like normal so I am confused.

• 1 month later...