Dogomania

Bullmastiff Advice!

Shannon_C

Guest Anonymous

I hope you can help. I have a 6 mo. old female bullmastiff. Her ears began to fold around 13 weeks and I have been taping ever since? They refuse to train and I dont know if it will do any good to continue at this point? Is there a certain age inwich the cartilage hardens to form the ear to lay properly ? Any suggestions i would be greatful :D Thanks so much

[b] The cartilage in a Bullmastiff puppy's ears is very pliable. Sometimes during the rapid growth stage and teething, the ears will either ''rose'' (the ear folds back to reveal the inside) like a Bulldog's ear or ''fly'' (the ear stands up at the base but folds over at the tip) like a Whippet or Greyhound's ear. Neither is correct for the adult Bullmastiff, but often the ear will resume its proper carriage as the teething stage is passed. Other puppies must have their ears taped to encourage the ear cartilage to fold in the proper manner. It must not be allowed to stay folded incorrectly, as this greatly detracts from the overall appearance.

A roll of duct tape, rubbing alcohol and scissors are all that is needed to tape the ears. Inspect the puppy's ears to make sure they are clean and free from of infection or mites. Then clean the inside and outside of the ear with alcohol. This is to remove the natural oil, which might prevent the tape from sticking to the ear. Duct tape (so named because it is used for taping the joints of air conditioning ducts) is normally found in three-inch widths.
You will need to use half that width. Tear off or cut six strips that are one and one-half inches wide and are one inch longer than the puppy's ear (measured at the forward edge).
Place a strip on the inside forward edge of each ear, allowing the extra inch of tape to hang down.
Now place another strip of tape along the outside forward edge of each ear, also with an inch of tape extending off the tip of the ear. Press together the sticky sides of the one-inch strips.
Fold one ear properly, and attach another tape strip to the underside of the tab hanging from the tip of that ear (the sticky side will be facing out, not touching the dog's hair). Holding that ear folded properly, fold the other ear and run the tape strip under the dog's chin, attaching it to the underside of the tab on the other ear. The ears should now be pulled down and held just tightly enough that the cartilage fold is in the proper place. Attach the remaining strip of tape on the outside of the tape strip running under the chin, to reinforce the tape and to cover up the sticky side.
Leave the ears taped for about one to two weeks. Then gently remove the tape and clean the ears. Observe the ear carriage for 24 hours.
If the ears remain folded properly, they will not need re-taping. If the ears return to their previous position, repeat the taping as necessary until the ears are carried properly.

Good Luck' with your ear taping! :roll:

[/b]

Guest Anonymous

Shannon:

I have never heard of using ducktape for dogs. Usually its athletic tape that i use or have been told to use.
Does ducktape come off easily?
Just curious.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hello: I wrote to you a short time ago about trying to train my puppies ears. I have been taping for months with no luck and I am taping properly. Do you know at what age the cartilage begins to set or harden? She is alittle over six months now. I AM STARTING TO THINK THAT HER EARS MAY STAY LIKE THIS!? :-? Any Ideas. THANKS ADAM