Dogomania

K9 SAR Slideshow Tribute 9/11 MUST SEE

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This is an outstanding slideshow of the dogs working at the world trade center & pentagon after 9/11. One of a kind.

[url]http://www.ctlegalguide.com/SlideShow/caninetribute.htm[/url]

You won't be disappointed.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Wow! You were right! :o
Thank you for sharing this site!
I bet it was great therapy for the human rescuers to have the dogs there, also.

• 4 months later...

[quote]I bet it was great therapy for the human rescuers to have the dogs there, also.[/quote]

actually, i saw a show the other day on animal planet about the dogs of 911. i couldn't find the link on their site, but i found another site at [url]www.dogsinthenews.com[/url] that talked about the rescue dogs that are deployed to the sites of destruction for the sole purpose of comforting others:

[quote] "Not all dogs are soldiering through piles of rubble. One special unit was brought in to provide emotional support to rescue workers. They reach out to these dogs because it's OK to."

An unidentified rescue worker adds, "These dogs have been trained to pick up on trauma and goes towards it. So they pursue people they perceive as being in a state of trauma ... We've been visiting a lot of firemen, police, and cleanup detail." [/quote]

i got this from an article from Jonah Goldberg. in the slideshow mentioned above you see this picture:
[img]http://www.dogsinthenews.com/issues/0109/pictures/wtc2_rescue-dog-transported.jpg[/img]

so i found this and thought i'd share one story of those dogs sent into, and retrieved from those deep holes:

[quote]Consider Servus, a Belgian Malinois (a smaller version of the German shepherd) who arrived at the Twin Towers site with his owner, police officer Chris Christensen, the day after the disaster. While searching for survivors, Servus fell down a nine-foot hole into a mound of dust and debris. When they pulled him free, "he couldn't breathe," Christensen explained to London's Sunday Herald Sun. Servus tried to vomit, to no avail. By the time the convulsions started and Servus's tongue turned purple, between 20 and 30 men were gathered to help an animal they clearly considered a colleague (often, police dogs are given full-dress funerals). The canine was rushed to one of the veterinary MASH units set up to treat the rescue dogs as well as the numerous "civilian" animals and pets injured or abandoned in the surrounding residential areas.

The vets managed to resuscitate Servus, and he was given an IV. (It was not unusual to see rescue humans and rescue dogs lying beside one another, each with his own IV drip.) When the vets unstrapped the dog from the gurney and released him for some doggie R&R, he ran straight from the tent and leapt into the police car assigned to bring dogs to ground zero. "I couldn't believe it," Christensen told the Sunday Herald Sun. "I told him three times to get out and he just looked at me, so we went to work. We worked for seven hours."[/quote]