Dogomania

Trimming Whiskers?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[size=2][color=darkblue]Nothing. Unlike cats, dogs don't use their whiskers to tell if they can fit into such small spaces or need them for balance. I clip my dogs' whiskers when I show them, and only for that purpose, and I have never had a problem.[/color][/size]

[b]Sierra Lawrence
Canine Trainer & Behaviorist[/b]

[email][email protected][/email]

Guest Anonymous

Hey I do the same when I show my dogs. But then next time I go to trim them they kinda like lay them flat. Any suggestions???

Guest Anonymous

[color=darkblue][size=2]If you want the whiskers visable when you trim I reccomend wetting the dogs muzzle and fluffing it, that usually makes the whiskers stick out above the rest of the dog's fur.[/size][/color]

[b]Sierra Lawrence
Canine Trainer & Behaviorist[/b]

[email][email protected][/email]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='kahokulani']Anyone knows what happens when a dog's whiskers get trimmed?[/quote]

Dogs do use whiskers as sensory organs and you can see how they react when they are trimmed unlike when normal fur is cut.
Many breeds have the whiskers trimmed for showing and many do not.
Breeders I know have said they found a difference in their dogs' field performances when they ceased trimming the whiskers after completing the dog's championship in the show ring.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='beagle88']Yeah I think they just lay them flat because it tickeles them or something?? :P[/quote]

I suspect it could be like it is with tails - if they are trimmed all the time they do not use them. But I have sure seen my dogs using their whiskers when 'testing' things. Don't know if its balance or not but do know they do use them.