Dogomania

SAR K-9's

GSDmom

Anyone else train in search and rescue? I have a dal that I have been working with and a GSD that is also doing well. Both dogs are the first I have owned of each breed and both work very well. Except that the dal will not be certified due to developing cateracts just before he was going to test. What is everyone else's experiences with their dogs and SAR? Would love to hear about it!

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I work with my 4 yr. old GSD , and although he just started this year, it seems as though he is a natural. He is scheduled for his testing in the fall. Luckily enough in some states, civilians can use their SAR dogs if they meet a certain criteria, which mine does. I am also training a puppy now for SAR work. She is very eager to track and seems to love the work. SAR is very demanding at times but we all love the work. Good luck and thank GOD for people like you that take the time and volunteer to do this type of work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LuvsGSD, GSD's seem to be naturals at it don't they!? Glad to hear he is doing well. Are you airscenting, trailing or tracking? I do airscenting and trailing with my boy. He's doing good, but he's not mentally mature enough to certify yet. Have to wait until that adolecent stage passes lol!

• 3 weeks later...

ok guys I'm gonna talk alot if you are for real

I'm a SAR and survival FANATIC I've been training in as many areas as I can think of and absolutly love the rush

but here it seems everything is governed by the fire dept. I've known a couple of guys in differant groups but all they really do is body recovery and while that is a valid service its not what I want to specialize in ya know? so where should I go and what should I say?

I think the problem thus far is that I'm only 19 and most everyone else is in their 30s but I'm in excellant condition and have been trained in almost every aspect of diving at the nations top school I've also got survivalist training in parts of Alaska. I really think I would be great for the job I almost joined the FD on my 18th birthday but they didn't want a "kid"

anyone you could hook me up with would be great

and if not just tell me some stories, then I'll get all hyped and bust through the FD's door and not leave till I'm on the squad!

Your best bet is to go to your local police dept and ask them. While we LOVE live finds, 3/4 of our calls end up in body or evidence recovery. We get alot of calls for drownings, but just the other night a man wandered away from a nursing home and the dogs located him fine yeah doggies!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Shepard's are great for police dogs but I think they lack certain traits for SAR work. Sure they can be trained in SAR and do great at it but it takes a very special trainer and allot of time to teach them compared to other breeds. Scientific studies proved that dogs with darker color fur have better scent than lighter colored dogs. Skin pigment playes a part in scent recognition. My first choice in a SAR or evidence dog would be a black lab. Someone posted they train there dog air/scent and trailing. This is not recommended as training method for the best results in either of the categories. If you want a skilled airscent dog keep him away from tracking and trailing. Airscent dogs are mostly used when the find is so old there is no track. If you teach him to trail you only slow his training down. Yes he will trail while on a real search and that is fine. I just do not encourage it during airscent training. You want the dog trained to have his nose in the air not on the ground.