Dogomania

Castration of my Friends my Dogs NEVER!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Peng1zrule']sixjollydogs, i appreciated your statistics, and they seemed optimistic statistics, to me. right now, at my local shelter, fifty dogs go in every week (forty cats, on average) I read the paper every week for a month, as it has the weekly turn ins. Out of all the pets turned in over a month, ONE dog was adopted out. just one. and not a single cat. two hundred dogs went in, one came out...it was heartbreaking...and partly because dogs can and do get pregnant through fences.[/quote]

So if you want to do things to change that try any of these options
Run an ad for the adoptable dogs/cats in your local newspaper's classifieds
Get digital photos of the animals and post them at [url]www.petfinder.org[/url] along with a description
Get local civic groups to sponser a pet of their choice for adoption on a weekly or monthly basis
Volunteer at the shelter and take animals to adoption days at local pet supply stores or even malls
Make sure the shelter has hours it is open when people can come and see dogs and cats for adoption
Volunteer to temperament test (learn how if you don't know how) and also to work on training with shelter dogs to make them more adoptable
Promote spay neuter of all adopted pets and the parents of discarded pups and kittens (I know a shelter that offers a free spay and neuter to people who dump pups or kittens!)
Get going with fund raising to create a low cost spay neuter clinic or a better more accessible shelter
There is lots you can do from the inside and the outside of the shelter world to reduce kill stats.

[b][color=indigo][/color][size=6][/size]
I for one had my Bullmastiff neutered in September :o but i had no choice and the reason for this is he had a testicle that was still up inside his scrotum...which could have caused problems later on, however saying that i would still have gotten him done as it prevents cancer in later life. Even though i am a considerate owner of my dogs, they would all be spayed/neutered eventually. My little Westie cross was neutered when he was 8 years old, (now 13 years) the vet told me the same thing about cancer so i decided to get him done. It doesnt stop is sexual behaviour though towards my 6 year old spayed Border Collie :lol:. My friend had a Kerry Blue Terrier that got cancer and they were told that if he had been neutered he would not have gotten it!

The males being dominant are the ones to watch, (unless a breeder)..i myself think its wise to get all pets neutered and spayed. [/b]

Hulk

I found a good article that may be useful to you. It is a research article from the US CDC (Center for Disease Control).

They did a study on dog bites and dog fatalities. According to the report, 80% of dogs referred to a trainer for aggressive behavior were intact male dogs. ...and over 70% of the dog bites were intact males.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I have decided to have my 2 Pits neutered. I am not doing this for any reason accept this:

By having Hollywood & Hercules fixed I will be putting them in less of a compromising position for them. I asked myself that question, why would I put my 2 best friends in any type of compromising position. I won't.

-Hollywood

• 3 weeks later...

well i am sorry to say this but i have 2 dogs and they have both been done. i delive it was the right thing to do. i also have a cat and she has been done as well,my partner said he is glad he only has 2 legs or he would be in trouble as well :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='sixjollydogs']Hulk

I found a good article that may be useful to you. It is a research article from the US CDC (Center for Disease Control).

They did a study on dog bites and dog fatalities. According to the report, 80% of dogs referred to a trainer for aggressive behavior were intact male dogs. ...and over 70% of the dog bites were intact males.[/quote]

Yep most common dog to bite is an intact male dog with NO obedience training - interesting that last little factor isn't it? :roll: and also the fact that no breed in particular is immune from having untrained testosterone :wink: being the impetus for biting behavior!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Anonymous']
Some men refuse to neuter their pets because of their own problems on the subject of sexuality.
[/quote]

LOL I've heard that too, in fact there was an absolutely classic quote about men and castration of pets on the web somewhere- I'll dig it out and post it one day.
Also re: litter dominance/fighting. Can anyone tell me if the "runt" of a litter is born first, last, or in between and what is the main dominance factor, birth order or physical size? I ask because Grandad had 2 male dachshunds and one was the runt, both left entire, the bigger (and maybe not older) dog was the dominant one.
I know there are lots of situations where the small Westie reigns over the gigantic Rotty... but with related dogs what's the story?

There was definitely a runt in the dachshund litter. The breeders rang Grandad after he'd got the first dog (Oscar) and asked him if he'd like the runt (Fritz) otherwise he'd be put down the next day. (is that standard practice?) Grandad being a softy, agreed. :D Neither dog died of cancer and they were both entire (and not bred from BTW).
I thought maybe Oscar was top dog because he was the first one to call Grandad's "home", but I don't know how valid that is- when Rinny (GSD) moved in with us, he instantly became top dog over BK, who's much younger. They're about the same size and neutered, but I thought it weird BK wasn't more territorial.
I still think if you're not going to breed from a dog then you should have it neutered, but in the end it's up to the individual.
K- I think the rec. age for neutering is 6 months min. in Australia? Though that may not help you in clog-land ;)
(from a fellow clog-wog) :D

Guest Anonymous

Sasha here is my take on the 'runt ' of a litter...

A female 'accepts' a male so many days for mating. So there for pups are conceived in those days at various times. So it is safe to say that the 'runt ' is the last conceived pup of the mating. Therefore he/she would be the less developed pup or smaller pup than the littermates. But over time would grow to be as big or bigger than the others. Kind of like a premature child..... :wink:

This is just my .02 and i have talked to vets and explained it and several agree. :wink:

Great choice hulk! Just wanna add, at least your dogs will be at rest. Unless used as a stud dog, an intact dog has a crazy sex drive that drives them mad their whole life, especially when there is a female in heat around! Not many people consider this when making the choice to nueter or not, I personally think that if the dog is not intended for stud then neutering is the only humane way to go!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura']Great choice hulk! Just wanna add, at least your dogs will be at rest. Unless used as a stud dog, an intact dog has a crazy sex drive that drives them mad their whole life, especially when there is a female in heat around! Not many people consider this when making the choice to nueter or not, I personally think that if the dog is not intended for stud then neutering is the only humane way to go![/quote]

Any if anyone wants a clue about males and females that are intact and longing for each other :wink: let me assure you the 'singing' of sad love songs at 3 AM is NOT amusing nor is the cleverness of the two at getting together at the least opportune moment unless you are fanatical about keeping them apart. :roll: