Dogomania

Syberian Female in need for a Male

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 1 1/2 year old pure bred Syberian female, red color with one blue and one brown eye colors. I am looking to breed her when she reaches 2yrs old. I am looking for a pure bred male husky, hopefully in my area, suitable for my princess. I don't know how to go about finding that dog. So I am writing here hoping that I will get my questions answered. She is under a vet's care and will be checked for any serious condition preventing her from breeding. Same should be the case with the potential mate.
Anyone can help? I live in Baltimore, Maryland.
Thank You.

Guest Anonymous

First off you might want to start by learning how to spell the name of your breed. That will make things a bit easier.
You need to learn all the tests that should be done on your girl before even considering breeding - again using the correct breed spelling will help you look that up on a search engine like [url]http://www.dogpile.com[/url] try Siberian Husky genetic and see what you get.
Best way to find a top quality dog for a stud is to find out where the dog shows in your area are and attend them making sure to buy a catalog.
I also suggest a trip to the site [url]http://www.petfinder.org[/url] to see exactly how many dogs of your breed are being dumped by owners before considering breeding.
Another good starting point for finding shows and dog people and info on your breed is [url]http://www.akc.org[/url].
Then you can look at [url]http://www.shca.org/[/url] for info on ethical breeding and hereditary problems etc.
You might want to show your dog to make her attractive to breeders with top quality dogs - a few nice show wins can really help that.
Of course if your dog is purebred without any AKC papers the correct thing to do is to spay her.

[quote]
On 2002-05-19 08:20, Anonymous wrote:
I have a 1 1/2 year old pure bred Syberian female, red color with one blue and one brown eye colors. I am looking to breed her when she reaches 2yrs old. I am looking for a pure bred male husky, hopefully in my area, suitable for my princess. I don't know how to go about finding that dog. So I am writing here hoping that I will get my questions answered. She is under a vet's care and will be checked for any serious condition preventing her from breeding. Same should be the case with the potential mate.
Anyone can help? I live in Baltimore, Maryland.
Thank You.
[/quote]

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

"Of course if your dog is purebred without any AKC papers the correct thing to do is to spay her".

One thing I have noticed about the people that post on this Board is that they all think that AKC is GOD. And if the dog isn't registered with AKC than it is worthless. Then in the same breath, they criticise a person for NOT spaying or neutering when AKC will NOT allow a neutered or spayed dog/bitch to be shown. Where is the logic in this? AKC is known as the "Evil Empire" in some of the breed circles. Breed circles meaning ...... dog breeds, not "breeders".

"THE CORRECT THING TO DO IS TO SPAY HER" -------- Spay or neuter just BECAUSE the dog isn't AKC registered, well Thank GOD the Border Collie or Australian Kelpie people don't feel this way. If they did, there sure as heck would not be any of the great herding dogs around. They would all be foo-foo show dogs with NO herding instinct OR herding ability left in them. But by golly, they could sure trot around the ring and look pretty!

There are LOTS of AKC registered dogs/bitches that are not worth breeding -- but are JUST because they are registered. They are so inbred with lots of genetic problems just because a certain judge liked "that look", so that dog was bred over and over, back to her father or to her "winning-champion brother", thus producing genetically unsound puppies all in the name of "show". Win, win, win, is all they are after.

Don't judge a dog by his papers or lack there of. Some are totally worthless --- and YES they are AKC registered!

Contact the breeder you got her from if you can!!!!
Get her/him to assess the bitch, if she is good enough, get her to sugest studs suitable to the bitch, go to shows, watch the dogs talk to the people, don't rush into anything, get all the tests done that your breed needs, then sit back again and think about it. let us know what you do?

In the uk, you can show a castrated dog or spayed bitch. but you don't see many males winning top awards with no testicles!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roo

Guest Anonymous

Guest I saw an AKC registered poodle the other day..after talking to the breeder a little more found out it was not a full poodle but a Maltese/Poodle..Makes you wonder about all of those AKC pups and dogs>> It is something I look for yes but I do look at parents and do DNA if it is going to be more than pet quality..but I do not deal in herding dogs (no cattle or sheep,, just kids)(but it could work) :D :P

Guest Anonymous

dont be discouraged by negative facts. she needs to be akc registered and should get a rateing by OFA. You might want to be shown a little & get her championship if it is possible. the same goes for the male.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']Guest I saw an AKC registered poodle the other day..after talking to the breeder a little more found out it was not a full poodle but a Maltese/Poodle..Makes you wonder about all of those AKC pups and dogs>> It is something I look for yes but I do look at parents and do DNA if it is going to be more than pet quality..but I do not deal in herding dogs (no cattle or sheep,, just kids)(but it could work) :D :P[/quote]

Jacsmom: you missed my POINT ENTIRELY. Go back and read the threads previous to my post. I was commenting from another post regarding how everyone thinks that if the dog isn't AKC registerd then it should be spayed or neutered ---- not taking into consideration that it is a full blood, genetically correct dog -------------- all that doesn't matter to these AKC crazed show people. They look at the PAPERS first before ever looking at the dog. And would pass up a PERFECT dog for an IMPERFECT one as long as it was registered with AKC.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']Guest I saw an AKC registered poodle the other day..after talking to the breeder a little more found out it was not a full poodle but a Maltese/Poodle..Makes you wonder about all of those AKC pups and dogs>> It is something I look for yes but I do look at parents and do DNA if it is going to be more than pet quality..but I do not deal in herding dogs (no cattle or sheep,, just kids)(but it could work) :D :P[/quote]
Then you likely did not see an AKC registered dog - did you see any papers?
If you did and you know the papers were false reporting the breeder to the AKC for mixbreeding will resolved that little problem.
AKC papers are only as good as the integrity of the breeder - and now that AKC is doing DNA testing on all dogs belonging to people producing more than a certain number of litters - well isn't it funny how many of those breeders are now down on AKC and changing to the scam registries?
:roll:

Guest Anonymous

No I see your point and agree(to an extent)...Was just stating something I had seen about an AKC dog (papers and all)...

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']
Jacsmom: you missed my POINT ENTIRELY. Go back and read the threads previous to my post. I was commenting from another post regarding how everyone thinks that if the dog isn't AKC registerd then it should be spayed or neutered ---- not taking into consideration that it is a full blood, genetically correct dog -------------- all that doesn't matter to these AKC crazed show people. They look at the PAPERS first before ever looking at the dog. And would pass up a PERFECT dog for an IMPERFECT one as long as it was registered with AKC.[/quote]

But you have no proof the dog is purebred without papers from a breeder with integrity. There *are* no perfect dogs out there of any breed just ones that come really close to the standard. And breeding mixes and dogs of unknown origins serves no purpose other than puppy production.
A breeding quality dog is not just the look of the dog itself its also the ancestry on the dog and the plusses and minuses of all those dogs in the pedigree to be considered when choosing a breeder partner etc. People who know what they are doing look at the pedigree to understand the genetic predispositions there in the background of the dog.
If the dog *is* purebred but not registered the dog has no history behind it, it has not come from a responsible breeder, and likely is not owned by a responsible breeder (unless of course it is a spayed or neutered rescue)
Why would you want to encourage irresponsible people to breed dogs?
What if that 'perfect' dog was carrying a hereditary defect that the breeder knew about, that the breeder then let the pregnancy go through and placed the pups unregistered on non breeding papers? What if that dog was bred anyway? Why would you want to encourage that?
I don't so I suggest spay neuter on all unregistered dogs and all mixbreds.
Saves among other things a lot of people who do rescue a great deal of time and effort cleaning up after the jerks who just HAVE to breed their dog...

Guest Anonymous

Yes saw AKC papers but lady would not give her name.. Wrote AKC a letter though as to were puppies were being sold and who to contact for more information>>> :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']Yes saw AKC papers but lady would not give her name.. Wrote AKC a letter though as to were puppies were being sold and who to contact for more information>>> :wink:[/quote]

The AKC papers must have had her name on them if she was the breeder. Its right on the front.
If more people who saw misrepresentation would contact AKC fewer breeders would blatantly do this.
The thing to be careful of is seeing papers that someone *says* are AKC and are really ContKC or APR or ACA or any one of a dozen or more paper producing organizations that are in business to support the mills.
Heck I just got snailmail from ACA wanting a picture of my dogs for their new breed chart they plan to distribute to veterinarians. This group suggests local pet stores as the best place to find a puppy of your choice - gee I wonder who organized them? They are not getting a picture of my dogs to help advertise the mill industry with!

Guest Anonymous

This lady knew what I was looking for because she held them with her fingers over her name...but they were AKC...That is nothing as to were she (a breeder!!) was selling them at a flea market. Oh well I sent in the name of the place and owner as everyone has to register with a name address and phone number when they sell anything in these places. I was astonished at the least but AKC knows about this one now.. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

This lady knew what I was looking for because she held them with her fingers over her name...but they were AKC...That is nothing as to were she (a breeder!!) was selling them at a flea market. Oh well I sent in the name of the place and owner as everyone has to register with a name address and phone number when they sell anything in these places. I was astonished at the least but AKC knows about this one now.. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']This lady knew what I was looking for because she held them with her fingers over her name...but they were AKC...That is nothing as to were she (a breeder!!) was selling them at a flea market. Oh well I sent in the name of the place and owner as everyone has to register with a name address and phone number when they sell anything in these places. I was astonished at the least but AKC knows about this one now.. :wink:[/quote]
Ah the fleamarket pet stores and mill outlets - she might not even have been the breeder lots of people get the pups wholesale to sell at the fleamarkets - I'm glad my area does not permit sales of live animals at such venues.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='Anonymous']
Jacsmom: you missed my POINT ENTIRELY. Go back and read the threads previous to my post. I was commenting from another post regarding how everyone thinks that if the dog isn't AKC registerd then it should be spayed or neutered ---- not taking into consideration that it is a full blood, genetically correct dog -------------- all that doesn't matter to these AKC crazed show people. They look at the PAPERS first before ever looking at the dog. And would pass up a PERFECT dog for an IMPERFECT one as long as it was registered with AKC.[/quote]

But you have no proof the dog is purebred without papers from a breeder with integrity. There *are* no perfect dogs out there of any breed just ones that come really close to the standard. And breeding mixes and dogs of unknown origins serves no purpose other than puppy production.
A breeding quality dog is not just the look of the dog itself its also the ancestry on the dog and the plusses and minuses of all those dogs in the pedigree to be considered when choosing a breeder partner etc. People who know what they are doing look at the pedigree to understand the genetic predispositions there in the background of the dog.
If the dog *is* purebred but not registered the dog has no history behind it, it has not come from a responsible breeder, and likely is not owned by a responsible breeder (unless of course it is a spayed or neutered rescue)
Why would you want to encourage irresponsible people to breed dogs?
What if that 'perfect' dog was carrying a hereditary defect that the breeder knew about, that the breeder then let the pregnancy go through and placed the pups unregistered on non breeding papers? What if that dog was bred anyway? Why would you want to encourage that?
I don't so I suggest spay neuter on all unregistered dogs and all mixbreds.
Saves among other things a lot of people who do rescue a great deal of time and effort cleaning up after the jerks who just HAVE to breed their dog...[/quote]

Guest.........maybe I am just not making myself clear. There are some people in this world that don't care if the dog is AKC registered. They want a companion, pet, a dog to spend the rest of their life with. Some people on this forum thinks dogs like this are totally worthless and should be euthanized, immediately. I am NOT advocating nor would I EVER suggest the breeding of two dogs with unknown origins.

My grandfather raised Border Collies his entire life, until he passed away at 88 yrs old. He never registered his dogs. He said, "you can't work papers". He had several generations of dogs, they had the best of care, they were healthy, they did not have genetic problems, he did not inbreed. And YES they were full blood Border Collies. They were working dogs, they worked for a living and were his companions after work. He bred mainly for himself and used the dogs on the ranch (he had over 20,000 acres). He was the kindest man to his dogs. When he did sell his pups (at many requests), he sold them only to working ranches, and to people he knew. He did spay and neuter the Border Collies that did not show any herding ability or ones that were not apt to make good working dogs. Some people on this forum will condem him for not spaying and neutering his dogs because they were not registered......so be it.

Herding/working people are a different culture than the show people. Ranch/herding people use their dogs in their everyday life. Most (98%) of my dogs are registered, some (2%) are not. My best Border Collie (YES, I know his origin) is not registered, and yes I have bred him to our best working bitch (she is registered). Their pups are used on the ranch. They are good working dogs. On the other hand, the pups he produces that are sold (VERY RARILY and only by request -- sold before mating) to working ranches are neutered and spayed either BEFORE they are sold --- these are sold as started dogs, or sold on a neuter/spay contract (YES, I check).

My point was that not all dog are worthless just because they are NOT AKC registered. "Perfect" meaning, the perfect dog for a person that is wanting a dog. One that doesn't chew, dig, run away, one that is willing to do anything for their master, etc.... YOU are just nit picking, and nit picking every word. I am not an idiot and will go toe to toe with YOU anytime about genetics and breeding integrity.

Being genetically predisposed does not always mean it will happen, most of the time it's the environment that pulls the trigger. Even registered dogs have genetic diseases that are unforeseen until it crops up. Inbreeding/line breeding should NEVER be done by a novice. It has it's place (a very limited place in opinion).

Again, I am NOT an advocate for breeding mix bred dogs or dogs with unknown origins. NEVER, EVER would I encourage breeding a dog just because it's pretty, or because the neighbor has a good-looking dog, etc.

And I DO suggest and insist on neutering and spaying on a regular basis. Some are hipocrites they say this, then on the other hand they have a litter of pups. NOT every pup will find it's way to adult hood, to old age. No matter how much you screen the applicant, some bad buyers slip by you. And if you say "that has never happened to you", then you are not being realistic or you are not checking on your puppy that you sold.

You are reading things into my post that simply are not true, but I do appreciate your response so I can clarify my view(s).

I still agree with the statement that AKC is not GOD. The American Border Collie Association is the registry for our Border Collies and the Working Kelpie Council and The North American Australian Kelpie Registry is the registry for our Kelpies. So, saying that, I can only assume that since the Border Collies and Kelpies are NOT AKC registered that they ALL should be neutered and spayed, because they are NOT worthy to be on this planet as intact dogs?!?

Guest Anonymous

[quote]First off you might want to start by learning how to spell the name of your breed. That will make things a bit easier. [/quote]

I noticed that also. I was waiting to see if anybody else would say something about that.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='beagle88'][quote]First off you might want to start by learning how to spell the name of your breed. That will make things a bit easier. [/quote]

I noticed that also. I was waiting to see if anybody else would say something about that.[/quote]

I noticed it, but she didn't have to be so rude in her response. Another way of saying the exact same thing would have been, "The correct spelling of the breed is........".

People come to this forum for education. It is up to the people with knowledge to educate, guide and nuture the folks that aren't as knowledgable.

Sometimes by being tactful and nice, a person can change the mind of another one. And this would be beneficial in some instances (like neutering and spaying or breeding).

For every action there is an equal or opposite REACTION! Push and you get pushed back. Ask and you get asked back. A little bit of tact goes a LONG way!

Guest Anonymous

Thats true but if you are going to breed that kind of dog or any kind of dog you should at least know how to spell the name... thats my opition at least.

Guest Anonymous

From the "get a grip" files...

Ok, ok, that was me. It's Saturday night, I have no life, and I'm just being a doo doo. Pay me no mind. Nobody ever does, anyway... :roll:

Guest Anonymous

I meant that was me re: the anonymous "knobhead" remark... not the one before it.

Gone for that coffee (maybe I should be contemplating something a little stronger :-? ) and doughnuts now. And one apple for Mei Mei.