Dogomania

Raw Meet

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is it ok to give raw (red/white) meet to your dog? Many people told me its not good to give your dog a raw meet. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Guest Anonymous

I regularly give my two dogs chicken and am looking into going on to the BARF diet for all three of my dogs ....maybe you could read some on it too on the internet and somehow find your answers there?........K.

Guest Anonymous

Raw meat is the best thing you can feed your dog. You do however need to worm them once every week 1/2 to two weeks.

Guest Anonymous

Thats because you don't have to worm dogs that are fed a raw diet you just have to worm dogs that are fed a diet contaminated with worm eggs....

[quote]
On 2002-05-17 10:17, sashagirl wrote:
[quote]
On 2002-05-17 07:17, Anonymous wrote:
Raw meat is the best thing you can feed your dog. You do however need to worm them once every week 1/2 to two weeks.
[/quote]

Wow!! That seems like a lot. I didn't know that.
[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

I am sorry I don't understand the answer to the worming statement... why is it neceesary to de-worm so often on a raw meat diet? could we just go over it again please?....K.

Guest Anonymous

To keep your dogs healthy. You dont want them with bellies full of worms. Dogs with worms dont look healthy or feel healthy.

Guest Anonymous

After working as an advisor for a major dog food company who also employ vets, what would you be feeding with your raw meat?
if you are adding it to a complete dry or moist food, then add no more than 15% raw, as it will totally upset the balance, if you are feeding just raw meat red or white, then your dog will not be getting all the nutrients that he/she needs. as to worming every two weeks, i have never heard anything ever ever ever like it. yes worms have a two week life cycle, but who in their right mind would feed a dog from food (meat) that has an iffy background. do humans worm themselves
fortnightly, should we all start today?

Guest Anonymous

The answer is it isn't - its an old wives tale that dogs fed raw meat get worms from doing so. Now contaminated raw meat might cause a problem if the contamination included worm eggs of a type dogs are susceptible to.
Raw meat is not a complete diet for dogs. Normally wild canids eat entire animals such as whole mice, rabbits etc and get lots more nutrition than the raw muscle meat provides.
Plus they will add some vegetation into their diet.
Anyone considering feeding a raw diet needs to do serious research on the subject including all the dietary needs of the dog, what is available from which foods, what dogs can digest, what disinfecting of the foods needs to be done and how to balance the diet etc
there are premade raw diets one can buy and keep frozen until you are ready to feed it but I would want to see feeding trial results on any such food before testing it on my dogs

[quote]
On 2002-05-18 00:03, Anonymous wrote:
I am sorry I don't understand the answer to the worming statement... why is it neceesary to de-worm so often on a raw meat diet? could we just go over it again please?....K.
[/quote]

Just to present the other side.... I had one of my allergy dogs on the BARF diet. Bought the books and joined the lists. She did well on it for months. Her coat, skin and teeth never looked better. However, she became ill with salmonella. From eating the same meat we eat (of course, we don't eat it raw) as per our vet and lab reports. The people on the lists insisted that I must have done something wrong. Yeah, right, how many ways are there to feed raw meat to a dog? I followed all the "experts'" advice. I've long since found out that my dog's illness wasn't an isolated incident. Your dog may not get sick, the gazillions of dogs whose owners are on these lists may not get sick, but MY dog got sick and so have many others whose people I have talked to. Enough for me to never try it again. Just to present the side that says that it is not without risk, no matter how well you research it. I feed a holistic diet supplemented with cooked food as per a published canine nutritionist I am working with. I'm having much better luck so far.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Horsefeathers! on 2002-05-18 12:44 ]</font>

Guest Anonymous

One of the commonly skipped steps in the feeding of a raw diet to dogs is the dininfection part - normally the cooking kills the bacteria but there are other ways to do that including a seed extract and peroxide soaking (sounds delicious doesn't it?) I've had discussions with people who feed raw but the dogs I have seen who were being fed raw diets were not in the best of conditions - I don't blame the diet exactly I blame the poor execution of the diet which is quite likely to happen unless the feeder becomes an amatuer dog nutritionist.

[quote]
On 2002-05-18 12:39, Horsefeathers! wrote:
Just to present the other side.... I had one of my allergy dogs on the BARF diet. Bought the books and joined the lists. She did well on it for months. Her coat, skin and teeth never looked better. However, she became ill with salmonella. From eating the same meat we eat (of course, we don't eat it raw) as per our vet and lab reports. The people on the lists insisted that I must have done something wrong. Yeah, right, how many ways are there to feed raw meat to a dog? I followed all the "experts'" advice. I've long since found out that my dog's illness wasn't an isolated incident. Your dog may not get sick, the gazillions of dogs whose owners are on these lists may not get sick, but MY dog got sick and so have many others whose people I have talked to. Enough for me to never try it again. Just to present the side that says that it is not without risk, no matter how well you research it. I feed a holistic diet supplemented with cooked food as per a published canine nutritionist I am working with. I'm having much better luck so far.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Horsefeathers! on 2002-05-18 12:44 ]</font>
[/quote]

In other words, BARF is NOT totally safe. Guess what? I didn't skip any of the aforementioned steps. I was diligent beyond belief. Nope, nothing wrong in my execution of the diet as per the "experts." Doo doo happens, I suppose, but RAW doo doo won't be happening to MY dog again. The only thing I could have done differently is raise my own chickens and cows and handle them from birth to slaughter to dinner table, but that's about as likely to happen as a Lawrence Welk spot in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. If other folks are able to do that, then go for it. I don't live on a farm.

Anyone in the market for some "all natural" dog books? I've got a stack of 'em and have read 'em all and BLAH!