Dogomania

dobermen

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

How are the ears taped? With a cone-type or antler-type? I keep my Dobies ears tape for 2 months with each week put less and less tape. Ending the last few weeks with only the base and the tips of the ears taped. they stand up great. Your breeder should give you better advise or if you got him from the shelter call your Local Doberman Club.

Good Luck.

You have had your dogs ears cropped??!!!
No offence, but that is unheard of in this country, and whenever I hear of a poor little puppy with hacked up ears my heart goes out to it.
Even if I lived in a country where ear cropping was legal, I would never buy a pup with cropped ears.

Guest Anonymous

I'm with Aroura on this one, it's one thing you deciding to have your ears or anything else for that matter peirced you can make that choice, but to cut any animal for purely cosmetic reasons is barbaric.

I know that some working dogs need their tails docked because of possible damage and long eared dogs having their ears cropped for the same reason, ie when these dogs are working in a forest etc. and are running catching their tails and ears on trees it's not unknown for these dogs to have very bloody ears and tails as a result so docking and cropping is in the dogs best interest, but for cosmetic reasons....................NEVER!!!

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone ever seen a dobie with natural ears win a dog show? I have pit bulls and dont crop their ears. All a matter of opinion and taste.

Guest Anonymous

And its great that someone actually answered the question instead of telling the poster its wrong to do. Opinions are opinions- no right or wrong.

[quote]
On 2002-05-15 11:17, Anonymous wrote:
How are the ears taped? With a cone-type or antler-type? I keep my Dobies ears tape for 2 months with each week put less and less tape. Ending the last few weeks with only the base and the tips of the ears taped. they stand up great. Your breeder should give you better advise or if you got him from the shelter call your Local Doberman Club.

Good Luck.
[/quote]

Someday we are all going to have to think of a topic that does not generate any controversy.....hmmmm....how about....which direction does the sun rise?

Seriously, there are strong opinions on so many issues involving dogs.

Sasha, I don't doubt that you love your dog...but a question.....why crop....other than looks? ...and I am not meaning to be critical of you.

I do wonder why folks do this procedure which serves only to create an image the owner wants.

Putting an animal under anethesia in itselve involves a certain level of risk.

I think the US is one of the few places where this is still legal.

Would like to hear thoughts on both sides?

Does the surgery cause the dog post-surgical pain?

Does it lead to ear problems since the inner ear is more exposed?

What are the thoughts out there.

Guest Anonymous

To sixjollycollies:

You dont agree with cropped ears?
Then how do you feel about how English Bulldogs are born? Did you know that every litter comes in this world under the knife? I belive it is called a C-section, you cutting open her belly and taking out the pups 1 by 1. So, should be stop breed them because it puts the bitch under more stress than ear cropping? Everyone should be helpful here instead of feeling that they are more rightous then the next person.

And by the way, I was the one that posted the reply about how my Dobies ears are tape. And by no means do they show any discomfort after the cropping.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-05-16 17:17, Horsefeathers! wrote:
Are you seriously comparing a medically necessary procedure that could mean the difference between life and death for a mom and her pups to a purely cosmetic procedure, the only similarity being the anesthesia?

Medically necessary? Well i guess we do need to cut them for every litter since the breeders have mutated these dogs for pure cosmetic reasons, or you think this is how the breed started?
Why dont we talk about what the original question. Oh, I forgot, this is the place to voice your opinion on what the person is doing wrong not on how we can help him.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-05-16 10:11, sashagirl wrote:
My main reasoning. Pit Bulls normally have rather small ears in comparison to a lot of other dogs. And they flop forward. (Not the best description) Any way, my male had larger ears than normal and he didn't hold them very well. It made him look less like a Pit. My boyfriend at the time wanted to get them cut. He was more his dog as I already had a female (ears uncut). Now that we are broken up he is with him and I have the female. Any way, he wanted to get them cut so I checked into it to make sure that it was safe and not too painful. He didn't act like he had any pain after the surgery, of course Pit Bulls have a very high threshold for pain, so I am not really sure.
[/quote]

You apparently havent seen very many pits. Their ears come in all different sizes. My housedogs ears dont "flop forward" they flop to the side- called handlebar ears. Some of them flop forward, some to the side, some stand up straight, some have one up and one down. People crop their ears for cosmetic reasons.

People who post about something that others feel is inherently wrong should expect that they will be told this. They should not be told in a manner that is rude or "lecturing".

Telling someone that what they wish to do is wrong...at least in the mind of the person writing the reply is not wrong as long as the rules of courtesy are followed....after all isn't the purpose... to learn?

What I think is unfortunate is all those posts underneath a cover of anonimity. If you believe your view point is right...then way not claim it? I can't say that I have as much respect for those who will not put their name to what they say.

Guest Anonymous

Actually if he had gotten the dog from a good breeder the ears would have been done and standing before he brought the pup home.
IME the best bet is to use the least possible tape and then only use it to support the uncut edge leaving the surgical surface open to the air and readily accessible for cleaning with hydrogen peroxide (in the US a common disinfectant) at least twice a day.
I reinforce the uncut edge with a couple of layers of tape and then curving the ear around in a cone shape put a circle of tape around the ear at the point the ear bends.
I don't use supports that go into the ear which eliminates the ear canal infection problem, I let the muscles keep working the ear which helps to hold them up and I make sure there is no infection (the only thing IME that causes the pups any pain after this surgery)
In case anyone didn't notice - its WAY too late after the surgery is done to complain about it having happened...
Properly cared for cropped ears are less of a problem to a dog than the spay or neuter operations are. While I am all for spay neuter that is an operation done solely for the convenience of the owner and quite likely done totally against a dog's will if they were given any say or capable of having any say in the subject.
[quote]
On 2002-05-15 09:43, sixjollydogs wrote:
Don't mean to sound like a smart-alec...but you would most likely get the best answer on this from your vet or a good local breeer.
[/quote]

I just want to say sorry for my first post, it was a bit oppinionated and uncalled for. But it is a topic I feel strongly about, when I look out the window at my darling boxer pup, Lily, I could never imagine her in any other way than with her gorgeous floppy ears. I didn't buy her to look agressive or "sharp", I bought her to love her and care for her, and to me love is unconditional, whatever she looks like and personally, I could never make an appointment at a vet to bring her in and have him cut off part of her, she's a whole package and I like her to stay that way, even if it was legal to ear crop here. Besides, she's my baby, and about that comment before about it being the same as peircing a babys ears... I would never peirce a babys ears!

Guest Anonymous

Interesting thing is no one would force you to do that with your pup but you don't think anyone with a differing opinion should be able to act on it simply because its a different opinion than yours.
I bet you will have no problem spaying her - a far more serious operation than cropping.
Is your boxer docked? a short tail is much kinder than a bloody one in your happy breed.

[quote]
On 2002-05-17 15:30, Aroura wrote:
I just want to say sorry for my first post, it was a bit oppinionated and uncalled for. But it is a topic I feel strongly about, when I look out the window at my darling boxer pup, Lily, I could never imagine her in any other way than with her gorgeous floppy ears. I didn't buy her to look agressive or "sharp", I bought her to love her and care for her, and to me love is unconditional, whatever she looks like and personally, I could never make an appointment at a vet to bring her in and have him cut off part of her, she's a whole package and I like her to stay that way, even if it was legal to ear crop here. Besides, she's my baby, and about that comment before about it being the same as peircing a babys ears... I would never peirce a babys ears!
[/quote]

Medically necessary? Well i guess we do need to cut them for every litter since the breeders have mutated these dogs for pure cosmetic reasons, or you think this is how the breed started?

^^^Don't know how I missed that. Hmmm... you sound intelligent enough. I thought you would have understood that I meant potentially medically necessary. As in if it were deemed necessary (doo doo happens). Not that I think it needs to be done for every litter. Sorry. I thought that would be obvious. Besides, it was really more of a rhetorical question that had nothing to do with the subject at hand. I was just sort of thinking out loud, so to speak. I'll try to be more articulate in my postings. My boo boo. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Horsefeathers! on 2002-05-19 13:36 ]</font>

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-05-19 10:55, Horsefeathers! wrote:
snip[/quote]
In Doberman Pinschers its well documented exactly how the breed started and when and why. For this breed yes cropped ears were a part of the deal from the very beginning - cropped ears made for less of a 'handle' for someone fighting with the dog and as ears injure easily and bleed profusely the shorter ears had less injuries.
Now the difference between the utilitarian working dog crop and today's show crop is something else again! but that is true in many of the cropped breeds - what was intended as functional has become subject to 'style'.

Guest Anonymous

I feel it is the owners choice if you should crop. Personally I love the croped look. That is my own choice. What are we going to say is cruel next.. obedience, because you use chockers? Cmon people. Croping dosen't hurt the dog that bad and a LITTLE pain is NOT going to kill the dog.