Dogomania

is dog food dangerous?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey i have a qustion. Last week at handling class my instructor ask what kind of dog food I feed my dogs. I said Pro Plan (made by Purina) He was just shocked. He was like that stuff has beef meal in it and then he told me what that was, which he said is everything that humans dont eat (eyeballs ext) But no matter how nasty that is they are dogs. I mean in the wild thats what they would be eating! I also have boght Beneful and once again he was horrifed. He said cause it had corn as the main ingridient. He said corn is really bad for dogs. Please anwser is it really that bad for them??

Guest Anonymous

Corn is not bad in small amounts. Large amounts should be avoided. Some dogs have an allergic reaction to corn. It also has to do with how much you are willing to spend. Plus my dogs have eaten Pro Plan and nothing ever happened. It is a fine dog food. Though I reccoment Beneful by Purina...

Sierra Lawrence
Dog Trainer and Behaviorist

[email][email protected][/email]

your answer depends on the dog. Purebred dogs are more "fussy" in the food department.
Dogs in the wild are not "purebred" to exact specifications. A wild dog/wolf can eat almost anything. Purebred dogs require a certain "finesse" in their food. Because they are purebred, alot of the natural resistance to allergies, disease and so forth is bred out. Allergies IS an issue in a purebred dog. A dog food rich in protein,
which is a wild animals main stay, and some vegetables, which wild dogs also eat, is ok.
The best way to find out is to try different foods and see which ones seem the best for your dog. A healthy dog will have clear eyes, a coat which is glossy and full, and a disposition that is both amiable and happy.
That may seem silly, but a healthy dog is a happy dog, and a dog with allergy problems to his food will NOT seem happy. They will have gas problems, and even dispostion problems if their food is not agreeing with them. Corn is probably not the best thing for them. Think of people: corn passes undigested in most of us. My dogs eat a diet with lamb and rice - made by Purina - and it suits them perfectly. I personally feel that rice is better for dogs than corn.

Guest Anonymous

The most important thing about dog food is that it be something the dogs will eat every day, be healthy while eating it, not become obese eating it and not have tummy upsets from it, and that the food be rated as suitable for all life stages. That last in my opinion should be proven by feeding trials not just analysis. Many people believe that dog food must be this that or the other thing due to their own beliefs prejudices etc I know people who try to make their dogs be vegetarians! Purina foods are developed using real dogs as the ultimate test of the qualities of their foods. For grocery store foods I would rate Purina and Pedigree as the best there (too many problems with dogs on Iams for me to suggest that). Thousands and thousands of dogs do just fine on Purina foods (as do many other animals with their many other feeds for everything from Monkeys on!)
Some dogs will not do well on certain foods due to inherited problems with sensitivities and allergies. Many people think all dogs are the same so preach about foods to avoid or use (note the upsurge in foods containing lamb which used to be a useful meat in determining if a dog has a protein allergy to beef or chicken but now is useless for that as so many foods contain it). Some people believe all the things they read written by people who hope to get them to buy their food instead of the one you are using.
I use a premium food which is chicken based has some corn in it but is nutrient dense so that I can feed less food and have less cleanup in the yards.
With Purina you will see more waste and less digestible food per cup but that is why it costs less.
I suggest going to the dog food sites Purina and Pedigree etc and read about the foods the processing methods and the ingredients.
You can also look up 'dog food comparison' in a search engine and find articles on the net including the Whole Dog Journals tests (they don't even test the food I use) for some more education.
I can tell you the best rated food in the world is useless if the dogs won't eat it.
I don't like many of the so called 'all natural' foods as they contain many unnatural to dogs ingredients - dogs don't eat yucca for example. Plus many require you to add all kinds of supplements their food is lacking. Makes more sense to me to buy a complete whole food suitable for all life stages that the dogs will eat readily every day.
I for one have never seen any documented proof that any one food keeps all dogs healther than any other food - I think that is because no one has actually proven that.

[quote]
On 2002-05-10 18:23, beagle88 wrote:
Hey i have a qustion. Last week at handling class my instructor ask what kind of dog food I feed my dogs. I said Pro Plan (made by Purina) He was just shocked. He was like that stuff has beef meal in it and then he told me what that was, which he said is everything that humans dont eat (eyeballs ext) But no matter how nasty that is they are dogs. I mean in the wild thats what they would be eating! I also have boght Beneful and once again he was horrifed. He said cause it had corn as the main ingridient. He said corn is really bad for dogs. Please anwser is it really that bad for them??
[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

Thank you for the helpful info! I think I will just stick with Pro Plan. I looked at the ingredients and the first one was beef. And the dogs love it. Thanks again.

Guest Anonymous

Purina is one of the commercial companies tested that contained sodium pentobarbitol in their food. Harmless trace amounts, "they" say, but since there are no studies concerning longterm exposure to "trace" amounts of the drug, I won't chance it. Many vets believe that even trace amounts over a long period of time could create problems. The potential for it is enough for me to steer clear of it.

Corn is not necessarily bad, per se, but it has no nutritional benefit for dogs and is used only as a filler. I used to feed Purina products to my dogs, but am now one of the folks who is horrified at the thought... not just for the SP, but for the lack of quality nutrition as well.