Dogomania

Really bad smell

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My friend has curley-coated lab which has a real thick coat. He is the best dog but he smells.........foal. Like fungus. I mean it is not a dog smell at all. I cannot see any skin problems. And giving him a bath only helps for a day. He was at my house the other day and I went out for a couple of hours. A friend came back with me, walked into the house and asked me if I emptied my trash lately. It smelled like rotten food. Does anybody know what that could be??????

Guest Anonymous

On one of the other dog-related web-sites I read a similar story. The solution there was some sort of antifungal shampoo or treatment that solved the problem!

Guest Anonymous

If a dog smells foul and it's not something that they have gotten into there is something wrong and needs to be seen by a vet! Our dog Storm (purebred Akita, but a rescue) has had an odor on and off since we adopted him in August 01. We had a CBC done on him early on because of various reasons including a smell - he was diagnosed as being anemic (the vet believe that it was due to malnutrition from his previous life), gave us some vitamins, etc and all was better. In November, Storm was diagnosed with having UDS/VKH (please visit [url]http://akitaresq.tripod.com[/url] and click on the link for more info) an autoimmune disease. Within the past couple of days we had more testing done because of various reasons - including that 'stentch' he gets - he has been diagnosed as severly anemic, having hypothyroidism, AND having Ehrlechia (please visit [url]http://www.srv.net/~cdm/Dale/ehrlichia.html[/url] for more information) a tick borne illness.

Our nose can tell us something is up before our pet physically can! I wouldn't hesitate about taking this dog in - request a CBC be done (cost is around $70 USD, but worth it and more IMO). Catching illness early is key here - we wouldn't have Storm right now if it hadn't been for all the testing. The diseases he has are life threatening if not caught early on.

Guest Anonymous

Well if the ears and skin and anal glands are all clean and OK then I suggest looking at the brand of food being fed - some dogs smell awful on certain brands of food.
Also 'a curly lab'? would that be a curly coated retreiver? doesn't that breed have extra oil on its coat to help repel water?
Individual breeds have different odors so if its not a food or health issue that might be it.

[quote]
On 2002-05-09 07:47, Anonymous wrote:
My friend has curley-coated lab which has a real thick coat. He is the best dog but he smells.........foal. Like fungus. I mean it is not a dog smell at all. I cannot see any skin problems. And giving him a bath only helps for a day. He was at my house the other day and I went out for a couple of hours. A friend came back with me, walked into the house and asked me if I emptied my trash lately. It smelled like rotten food. Does anybody know what that could be??????
[/quote]