Dogomania

Pig ears..good or bad?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have not heard anything about pig ears if the are bad for dogs. I know rawhides are bad for them. Any help would be great.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-05-08 14:35, Anonymous wrote:
I have not heard anything about pig ears if the are bad for dogs. I know rawhides are bad for them. Any help would be great.
[/quote]
Does anyone have any info on puppy food? I was told that Eukanuba uses a chemical for preservitives that is also in tires and that it was not good. Any website with ingredients would be best.
thanks

Guest Anonymous

Can you remember the name of the additive. I too have read of a bad additive used in a lot of dog foods...starts with a "e" but can't recall the name. Have heard it is bad.

As for pig ears, the hazard is to humans. Wash your hands after handling to protect against e-coli and salmonella.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-05-08 14:35, Anonymous wrote:
[/quote]
you have to be sensible about pig ears - buying American inspected ones is safest in terms of bacteria
making sure your dog does not get too many calories from them is your responsibility - they are fatty and high calorie treats!
watching or supervising while your dog eats one is wisest as they can swallow hunks and get them caught in their throats obstructing breathing
I buy sliced pig ears from [url]http://www.petextras.com[/url] and then the dogs have the chew fun with a smaller calorie item and also a chew that they can swallow without getting hurt if they decide to do that

Guest Anonymous

ethoxiquin might be the one you are looking for - however preservatives beat spoiled food in terms of danger to your pets!
there is a comparison of foods website - go to a search engine and put in dog food comparison and see what shows up

[quote]
On 2002-05-09 12:50, Anonymous wrote:
Can you remember the name of the additive. I too have read of a bad additive used in a lot of dog foods...starts with a "e" but can't recall the name. Have heard it is bad.

As for pig ears, the hazard is to humans. Wash your hands after handling to protect against e-coli and salmonella.
[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

[b][color=red][/color][size=6][/size]Pig ears are fine for dogs and puppies! Let them be dogs and eat them! My dog has one everyday and he's fine! :lol: :D [/b][img][/img]

Maybe [u]your[/u] dogs haven't had any problems from pigs' ears, but I've known, personally, of too many dogs who did get sick from them. According to the vet, it was salmonella. I was skeptical at first, but apparently, it's not at all uncommon. I've heard that you have to be careful of who you buy them from, but I've got too many dogs in my household to take the chance on one out of the whole bunch getting sick. Of course, I've been accused of being entirely too cautious about these things, but, as I've said before, any time I am made aware of some new (to me) illness, it occurs within my household. Always, every single stinkin' time :roll: . I give mine natural treats, or Kongs filled with something enticing. 8)

As far as letting dogs be dogs... if I'd let mine, they'd just as soon eat week old road kill! :P

Guest Anonymous

I found the perfect treat!!! (well maybe) Yesterday my neighbor was cleaning out her garden and pulled all of last year's carrots, tough, woody things with a very bitter taste. Well her dog Clar, and mine, Hazel just loved them! They spent several hours playing tug a war with them until the winner, whoever got the carrot, would trot off proudly with her prize. They would then knaw the thing down to nothing. I should day that my neighbor doesn't use chemicals in her garden... so no additives. And I figured what could be a better teething toy then something so healthy! Hazel also gets the occassional apple piece for a treat, pealed to make eating easier. (she doesn't like the peal) :D

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']snip
Always, every single stinkin' time :roll: . I give mine natural treats, or Kongs filled with something enticing. 8)
snip:P[/quote]
Ahem last time I checked pig ears were all natural :lol:
bad teeth vs careful buying - hmm I'll pick careful buying and good teeth for my herd - everyone here had pig ear strips last night and loved them!

Guest Anonymous

So you really believe that ANYTHING that's labeled as "all natural" is healthy? Seriously? You're just yanking my chain, aren't you? No? Okily dokily, 'nuff said... :lol:

Guest Anonymous

There is a pet store by my house that I love. They only sell the natural indgrients and the dogs the it! Its a lot more expensive though!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']As far as letting dogs be dogs... if I'd let mine, they'd just as soon eat week old road kill! Horsefeathers ..you make me laugh...thank you :lol:
even though my dogs are properly fed they love to wolf down all the dead things we find on our walks in the wood so extra vigilence and a plastic bag here!!!...K.[/quote]

Well you have to admit that stuff on the woods walks is 'all natural' :lol: :wink:

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

We had to promise when we adopted Ruby, that we would NEVER feed her rawhide!
So, when we saw pig ears & pig bones, we tried them. (gave them to Ruby) :)
She loved them! So, we gave her one every day. :D
Well, I suspect my husband was giving her one also at lunch, so she would leave him alone to eat his meal. :roll:
Anyway, all of a sudden, she refused pig ears! :o
We kept trying to no avail. :(
So, we brought the 1/2 bag we had left (big economy size) to Atlanta Pet Rescue along with a couple toys she shunned & her collar she quickly outgrew.
Maybe it was the grease content, I don't know.
But, she still eats the pig bones! :-?
Is this strange?