Dogomania

I NEED an ORI PEI puppy

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am looking for a male ori pei puppy with lots of folds and wrinkles. Either a chocolate or tan color. I live in arizona and I CANT find any breeders here. I found one at the pet store and fell in love with him but he was $2500! I don't have that kind of money. I have a loving home and I am willing to give him lots of love. Please contact me to discuss the puppy or information on a breeder.

Guest Anonymous

Hi I cant help you but i did want to tell you to never ever buy a puppy from a pet shop they come from puppy mills 90% of the time. Acctually it might be more good luck!!

Guest Anonymous

I consider myself fairly literate on most breeds but have never ever heard of this. Tell us about it....the web site did not have any info other than they sold them.

I did get the impression that they might be a big dog.

Guest Anonymous

I hadn't heard of one either. I did a little research and found that an Ori Pei is a pug/Shar-pei mix. Cute pug looking dog with a lot more wrinkles.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-05-06 16:05, geometro wrote:
I am looking for a male ori pei puppy with lots of folds and wrinkles. snip
[quote]
If you cannot afford that price how will you afford all the health problems this mix breed mutt will likely have? Do you even know all the health problem the parents could have had? You do know its not a purebred dog right? and that it is about as valuable as any dog you adopt from your local pound?
Just because the pet store says its valuable doesn't mean it really is!
I'm glad you don't have any irresponsible breeders producing this medical horror of a mixbred in your area - you should be thankful too.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

actually, the ori pei IS considered a purebred by akc and fic... they have been bred for several generations...ALL dogs have gotten started SOMEWHERE... and an ori pei has been developed to be like a shar pei but a smaller version and not as many health problems... there are many breeders that have been breeding this dog.. they are fairly small 25-35 IB and with a very sweet temperment...

[b]Geometro. I found this site...experts on Canine Breeders, they have a female Ori Pei available, she is fawn with black mask though...if colour doesnt matter then check this site out. (Please read up on this breed, do your research first) if you havent already done so, (in case the breed is not suited to you)....seeing an adorable looking puppy in a shop that catches your eye might not be the breed for you in the long term!

[url]http://www.todayspet.com/puppies.phtml[/url]

Guest Anonymous

Geometro...

I don't know where you're getting your information on these dogs, but NO the American Kennel Club doesn't recognize them (even provisionally) nor does the American Rare Breed Association and if the FCI does I'd love to know what group because I couldn't find them. You gotta be careful especially with the brachycephalic (flat-nosed) dogs because they have all kinds of health issues and if you don't know what you are getting into that $2500 price tag could be a drop in the bucket and don't expect that pet shop to take the dog back & refund all of your money. Let me put it to you this way...these breeds suffer from breathing disorders (especially the ones w/ LOTS of those cute wrinkles you like) which may lead to laser surgery of the nasal passages for the dog to ever breathe correctly and not suffocate in his sleep! Yes, flat-face puppies are ADORABLE, but check w/ the parent breed clubs of the dogs you say these are bred down from and ask them about health issues. These clubs can be found @ [url]www.akc.org[/url]. And for heaven's sake, don't buy a dog from a pet store. I can tell you one thing... I live in TX and my parents breed Bulldogs - a litter every 3 or 4 yrs - flat-nosed dogs can't take the HEAT! So I hope you plan for this dog to live indoors all the time. Don't mean to jump your case, but the title to this post set off ALL my alarm bells by your writing that you NEED this puppy... A dog is a 15 yr committment on the average...think this over carefully.javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

Dogmom

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Guest']actually, the ori pei IS considered a purebred by akc and fic... they have been bred for several generations...ALL dogs have gotten started SOMEWHERE... and an ori pei has been developed to be like a shar pei but a smaller version and not as many health problems... there are many breeders that have been breeding this dog.. they are fairly small 25-35 IB and with a very sweet temperment...[/quote]

Boy where do you find your misinformation? - the oripei is not a purebred dog breed by AKC standards as for the FIC I've not known the true international registering body to add mixes to their registry. I do know some of the scam registries desiged by puppymillers who can't register AKC anymore having been caught in their dishonest registering practices offer papers on mixes but who cares about those fakers anyway?
Sure there are lots of breeders breeding this mix to make a buck off of the gullible - heck people breed poo mixes too but all they are is mutts. As for it being healther - every honest article on this travesty of a mix outlines all the EXTRA health problems they have. Oh boy a breed with pop eyes, sharpei fever and bad knees hocks and hips not to mention allergies and skin problems - just what the average pet owner needs! IDTS!

Guest Anonymous

I'm sorry, I apparently misread your post...(':wink:')you said the FIC recognizes the breed and you are correct. The FCI I mentioned is the Federation Cynologique Interationale which is the primary authority and registration body of dogs in Europe....like a European AKC. This FIC is well....something very different. You gotta be careful. There are "registries" out their that will register anything including 1st or 2nd generation mixed breeds as long as the breeders send in that fee. There are registries that accept Schnoodles, (schnauzer/poodles) Peke-a-poos, Cockapoos, and just about any other goofy combination you can think of....but they list them a purebred. Our rescue dog came from a puppy mill....complete w/ registration papers from the Worldwide Kennel Club....whoever they are....what a joke! Deal w/ reputable breeders and registries, not some fly-by-night "in it for the $$' outfit. (':evil:') I'm not saying you won't get burned even if you do, but why walk into a committment like this blindly!

Dogmom

Guest Anonymous

I am so fortunate to speak from experiance on the subject of ori-pei pets. I own one and she is a true joy! Her name is Ming! She relates well with our entire family. She is black with white flecks. A regal beauty. She is still just a spoiled pup at four months old. However, independant and docile, friendly, smart, and very loving. She mixes well with our 2 other dogs. I find she is a wonderful asset to our lives. I wish you luck in finding the ori-pei of your dreams.... Don't give up your search... It is well worth the wait. I'm disappionted that you encountered such negative responses about this breed via e-mail. No, we did not pay 2500 USD for our pet. She was 500.00 and worth every cent. Bonne chance!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='[email protected]']I am so fortunate to speak from experiance on the subject of ori-pei pets. I own one and she is a true joy! Her name is Ming! She relates well with our entire family. She is black with white flecks. A regal beauty. She is still just a spoiled pup at four months old. However, independant and docile, friendly, smart, and very loving. She mixes well with our 2 other dogs. I find she is a wonderful asset to our lives. I wish you luck in finding the ori-pei of your dreams.... Don't give up your search... It is well worth the wait. I'm disappionted that you encountered such negative responses about this breed via e-mail. No, we did not pay 2500 USD for our pet. She was 500.00 and worth every cent. Bonne chance![/quote]
You sound like a shill for the misbreeders producing this mix for profit :cry: or someone who is breeding them and selling them to the gullible. if you paid $500 for a mutt you were ripped off - the dog is worth the adoption fee from the local pound and no more!

Guest Anonymous

Nice comments by the Ori Poo owner. I think the guest said he/she was the owner of the dog, not a breeder. Again, the AKC Jonses and keeper uppers mistake worth and value for $$$$.

Guest Anonymous

I have never heard of this type of dog either, and simply because it's a "mutt" doesn't mean it's not worth paying for. When I went looking for a dog, registered was on the very bottom of my list of wants for a dog. What are we buying, a companion or a pedigree?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='hazelhover']I have never heard of this type of dog either, and simply because it's a "mutt" doesn't mean it's not worth paying for. When I went looking for a dog, registered was on the very bottom of my list of wants for a dog. What are we buying, a companion or a pedigree?[/quote]

Why would anyone advocate the profiteering off of the creation of mutts done by the unscrupulous misbreeders of this world?
A pedigree should give one the assurances of health, longevity, breed type, specific traits and personality - sure mutts make great companions sometimes and sometimes they are healthy but I can assure you people who are mixing breeds for profits don't give a darn about anything but your cash. :cry: And don't care about the health of either parent or the pups as long as those pups sell to the gullible for a nice profit. :cry:
Sure there are purebred breeders who do the same but at least with them you have a chance of finding a responsible breeder - but you don't with the people mixing breeds for the sole purpose of making pups to sell.
You want a mix? - go to the shelter and get one where you adoption fee will have some value in terms of vet care on the dog before you adopt.

Guest Anonymous

Point well taken. However, the pompus response in question made no distinction between buying mixed from a breeder or someone who acquires a mixed by any other means. Not buying mixed will not stop breeders from breeding mixed, as if the owner or anyone looking for one are exacerbating a cruelty. Besides, most come that way by the chance method. Hats off to those that adopt/buy these creatures born to unfortunate circumstance. You stem cellers/cloners need to quit looking for the perfect dog...it's the owners perception.

Guest Anonymous

I don't normally like to get up in arms but...
I don't believe that every backyard breeder is just in it for the money, any body who has ever had an accidental litter (And when I was young we had a couple)(As an adult I have all my pets spay/neutered!!!) and cared enough to do the right thing and vaccinate, deworm and do all the other thousands of things to keep those puppies healthy would know there is no profit!!! Feeding good quality foods to 4 pups it very expensive. After the litter our dog was fixed. I should say she was VERY young to have puppies and we were not really expecting a dog to go into heat so young.... and while this is not an excuse it is an explination... and at the time it was very exciting... (I think I was 15). I now know the consequences........ I hate going to the pound, but I go every once in a while with a friend looking for thier own love..... All those sad eyes.......

Guest Anonymous

I own an ori-pei. He was an unexpected gift from step son and daughter-in-law. We really didn't want a dog. They thought it was a good idea since the grand kids live with us. He is turning 1 year old in July. Great disposition, stubborn but loyal! Great with grand kids. Beige with Shar-pei features about 35 lbs. Named Baggy. We had to have surgery done at about 6 months old on the 4 eye lids due to the entropien condition. This cost around $500.00. I guess we did pay for him! So far, no other health problems but he does seem to have difficulty with hot/humid days. I do not know what they paid for the dog but he was bought at the pet store where my daughter-in-law works. [/b][/i]