Dogomania

What sort of activities does everyone do with their dogs?

GSDmom

Cool! We have a few people in our SAR group that have Newfs! It's neat to watch them work as they just amble along at the handlers pace and will stick thier nose up when they are on scent. They are great at it!
We used to have someone stay with us who had a pit also. He would attach a tire to his dog also samson just loved pulling that thing around the yard!
The neighborhood kids all like to come over to our house and play hide-n-seek with the GSD. They try and stump him, but so far they have not been able to. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

[size=7][b][color=red]We are going to my Uncle's Lake house this weekend with my LAB Mac!!! He absolutely loves swimming and boat riding!! He's an awesome dog that just LoVeS water!!![/color][/b][/size]

Ahhhhhh, swimming sounds like a plan! Flyball sounds really fun. I have never tried it, but a friend told me she used to do it and the dogs really enjoyed it. What exactly do they have to do for that anyway? Just chase the ball and bring it back in the fastest time?

• 1 month later...

Wow! Really COOL! My hubby thinks it would be fun to have a team of huskies and do sledding. The closest I have ever gotten to that is hitch my great dane to the wagon and go for a ride LOL! Are there working line huskies and show line huskies like GSD's or can you get both in the same dog?

Guest Anonymous

Fortunately of unfortunately,(it depends on your perspective and how competitive you are :wink: The majority of sled dogs are not registered dogs like Siberians or Malamutes- both have been mostly bred for looks and not working ability. There are exeptions of course, but most top competitive mushers run Alaskan Huskies (not an AKC registered breed) or some outcross of Alaskans, the most popular and fastest right now being Alaskan & German shorthair mixes called Euro-hounds. If you are interested in Alaskan Huskies there are lots of good sites out there. My dogs are of the older, wolfy types, sort of resembling tall, lanky Siberians, but in a wider variety of colors from pure black, all white, grey, and a very unusual sable brown, almost brindle. What they have in common is a desire to run; long, straight backs;and tough feet. Contrary to popular opinion, they have very little if any wolf in them.

It's really sad when dogs are bred for their look alone. I realize that with many breeds it's no longer feasable for them to do the job they were bred for, but with breeds like huskies, malamutes, GSD's and others it's a crime. Do you have any pics of your dogs you could post? Have you ever run the Iditerod(? spelling)? I had a bf who had a purebred husky. His goal was to have a team, but he could only afford them one at a time. Don't know if he ever did it though! That dog was something else! One time he got loose (you could never catch him) and went running through mud (it was spring) then proceded to run throught the open doors of a church on sunday morning shaking mud everywhere with my bf and his dad right behind LOL!

Jesse BSD and I have done obedience, agility, and herding, tracking is coming in the fall.
Brittany and I have done obedience and agility.
Candy and I have done obedience and agility, flyball coming soon.
Non 'formal' activities include running wild at the dog park having a blast playing with their pals, going for rides in the van, going to Petsmart, visiting grandma and teasing the cat-who puts ALL the dogs in their place with no problem at all, piling together on the big bed to watch tv and cuddle.

Guest Anonymous

We have never done the Iditarod- the money and training time is beyond what I'm capable of!! We have only 12 dogs- All Alaskans and one Pomeranian :o We do Mid-distance racing usually from 30 to 150 miles. I'de love to post pics of my guys but don't own a computer- I'm at the library! Check out a site called Sled Dog Central- Lots of pics and info. The Pomeranian is the mascot and lap warmer in the winter!

Carol, that is really neat! Sounds like you guys enjoy all sorts of activites! Are you going to do competition tracking? I started my GSD in tracking, but switched to trailing and airscenting. I have a friend who has a Belgian Turv, they are related to the BSD right? Really neat dogs! Do any of your dogs have titles?
Pumpkin, that sounds like alot of fun! Do you live in Alaska? How many dogs do you have on a team? Do you have any for back-up? How long does it take to train a dog?

• 1 month later...

I take Blitz to obedience- he likes it and is doing well, his only problem is that he gets bored! (I eventually want to do agility with him- but 7 yrs is a pretty late start...) He is beginning to learn how to fetch (for class), being uninterested in anything that doesn't have a pulse is an obstacle we are overcoming. When we first got him he was a maniac destroyer of everything but is quite happy to snooze in the sun now in his middle age, and catch the occasional rat or bail up possums in the tree at night. He goes for a run off-lead at least every other day at the local dog park, he loves that (maybe too much-where is that suspect "humping" emoticon!). He just likes being with people no matter what we're doing, so we can take him to a cafe knowing he'll be quite happy to sit quietly for a little while.

Egg- maybe Duck is barking because she is bored or seeking attention? Have you noticed *when* she is barking ie. when you are not patting her, when she wants something....? :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Cody plays fetch, enjoys the park, and he always has his nose to the ground, so we may give tracking a try.

Cody also does agility. We have trained for 2 years and he is the fastest dog (and most accurate) that the club has ever trained (their words). They were looking forward to Cody being a serious competitor, as they wanted to be able to state that Cody came out of their club.

I took Cody to Bud Houston's Agility Camp, and there I found that Cody can not travel, he is extremely nervous. He barked all night at every noise, did not eat or sleep for 3 days and would not even take treats during traing (and he is VERY,VERY food motivated). It was so bad, we had to leave at the end of the third day. He can still compete locally (although, there are not many local competions), and does well at local show and go's. Right now we enjoy back yard agility quite often.

Jesse has had 4 levels of obedience (he's still a beast on the leash, though) and we are getting ready to start a new obedience class with a different instructor who will help me deal with the leash problem. I would eventually like to compete Jesse in obedience. He also was in agility but is so clumsy, he has fallen off the dog walk several times, and he loves most of the obstacles, but he is definately not agility material. He loves chasing balls, frisbies and people (if they run). We go to the park and walks (although hubby or son has to walk Jesse, he's to strong for me).

Harley is starting obedience training in november. I will eventually put him in agility, and maybe even flyball. I'm looking for a herding club at the moment, but the closest club I have found so far is about 2 hours away. Harley loves fetch, frisbee, the park, going on walks.

I/m hoping to have an Australian Shepherd Puppy within the next few months that I will show in conformation. If the pup has the talent, I would also do agility.

I'm hoping to compete one of my dogs in agility, and right now, Harley seems to be the most promising. He is very, very fast like Cody and I know for a fact he travels well. I'll keep my fingers crossed! :wink:

I don't really have the answer to the barking problem! My dalmatian will bark or howl if he is bored or wants something. We try and keep him happy and it keeps the howling down. He especially will bark in the house because he prefers to be outside. My GSD barks at anything that moves and we are currently working on this. It helps when he has a good run during the day to tire him out. He does quiet on command at least. Sometimes it helps to squirt them with the hose. I am hoping with maturity he will cut back on the barking when he is outside. Inside he is great. :D