Dogomania

What sort of activities does everyone do with their dogs?

GSDmom

Guest Anonymous

Games!!!!

More a case of what games they play with us LOL

Seriously I take my quad down on the beach and we all play tag. me and 2 dogs.

Guest Anonymous

throw tennis balls in the yard, take them to a doggie park, to the lake for swimming, let them follow you around the yard when you mow the lawn, play chase,tag ect...
Too many to list!
mom of 5 yr old GSD and 4 yr old Lab

Guest Anonymous

Right now my 15 wk old Lab likes to see how many times he can knock over his water bowl!!!
Aside from that we fetch bumpers (with a blind 3 yr old Cocker also) and swim in the pool.
We hide things around the house for the Lab to find. He has a good nose!:)

LOL! Puppies are way too much fun! Right now I'm trying to teach my dogs to speak. It's really hard after I have spent so much time getting after them for barking!
You can never play too many games with them!
Just curious Jacsmom, was your cocker born blind or is there something else wrong? My dalmatian will be 3 years old in August and he went blind in January. He developed cateracts and we can not afford the $4000 to have the surgery.

Guest Anonymous

She was born partially blind and it only gets worse. She was born in a green sac and I bottle fed her since she was 2 days old. The vet said it looked as if her third lense had dropped.
My Cocker is one of the smartest dogs I have. It took me 2 weeks to house train, she fetches, plays tags, and does tricks. I just cannot move major things around the house.
I hope everything goes well with yours!!! I have to go get the water bowl:)

Jacsmom, is that something genetic or a freak thing? Your dog must come from good breeding. I used to have a cocker from admidily poor breeding who was not so good with really small kids and if you were afraid of dogs, he would bite. Tried it with me once. He was not very smart either. I loved him anyway, and he was great at fetching, playing soccer, loved to run in the woods too. I trained him in obedience and after alot of training, he did really well in 4-H and fun matches. Even won a reserve trip to state after qualifying for the regional dog show!

Guest Anonymous

I have the best Cockers at one time I had 4 now I have 2. Mine are all very laid back. They are very good with kids. In fact my blind Cocker is very protective over my son and the children I watch. Most Cockers I have seen around here are hyper and crazy!!LOL
I am wanting to compete in something with my Lab. I am just waiting to see if he has a strong point and work on his obedience right now.

I used to travel to dog show with a couple friends who had cockers. They were wonderful dogs. They were all clowns! Good luck with finding a sport for your lab! My friend has told me fly ball is alot of fun!

Guest Anonymous

I have looked at that and he loves to fetch.. Of course what Lab doesn't!! He really has a good nose:) I just had to get him out of the toilet he was swimming in it:)

Guest Anonymous

My dogs love to play in water....and have one of those cheap kiddie pools you can buy at Wal-mart.

they also like to play a game called "poor starving dog" when I am eating ice cream or just about anuything else.....this is played by staring at your human and drooling...an occasional pitiful whimper is sometimes used.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-05-01 09:24, Jacsmom wrote:
snip
I just cannot move major things around the house.
[/quote]
try marking the furniture with a scent like vanilla or orange or cinnamon or even lemon furniture polish etc
if you mark each one with a different odor lightly enough not to offend you the dog should be able to 'see' them with her nose even if you move them :smile:

Guest Anonymous

I can see that :smile: then the Lab would eat EVERYTHING in the house!!! LOL No really she does great the puppy (which can see) runs into more than see does. She can turn on a dime. She is truly amazing! She plays fetch too!(you just cannot throw it a mile away) :smile:

I do everything I can with my dogs, play fetch, walk them everywhere, take them swimming, do obedience, tug o war, roll around on the floor with them... Tessa knows how to go up the slide, speak, roll over, wave, shake hands... I also play a game with her where I hide the keys and she go's and finds them, I make it hard... putting them in trees etc but she always finds them!!!!
Luv Jeanne

[quote]
On 2002-05-09 11:07, GSDmom wrote:
That's cool Jennene! Sounds like your dog loves a challenge! How do you teach them to wave?
[/quote]
To teach her to wave, all I did was to teach her to shake paw and then when she assosiated my hand with her raising her paw I just started waving when she was in an exited "want to do tricks" type of mood and said "wave", so she started to wave!
:smile:

Guest Anonymous

I have two staffy's and we go running (A LOT)
as you probably know these dogs need a lot of exercise and almost constant stimulation to be smiley!! I ride my bike and they run free beside me.. we go in the early morning so that there is no-one else about to spoil our fun.. I alternate the runs from 7.4km/9.7km and occasionally 11km per day and we also go on a 2.5km walk in the afternoons....I do play games with my dogs too I play pat-a-cake and incey wincey spider and we have tug of war in the garden (my shoulders and arms still ache from last time!!)but I still have a problem....no matter what I do my dogs will not "fetch" anything for me and bring it back....any ideas anyone??...............K.

Sounds like they are happy doggies! Will they chase a ball? My boy will chase a ball or stick, but is possessive and would not bring it back either until I added a second. That is, I throw one ball and entice him with the second. He is greedy and ususally wants the second one so I throw it when he drops the first near me. He loves it!

I had a cocker spaniel that would do this too. What I did with him was to go and put the ball in his mouth when he dropped it, grab his collar and run back to where I originally was standing. If he dropped it, I just had him hold it again. Also, the whole time we were on our way back, I would say his name and come. You also might try using a different command when you are playing such as "bring" if you think it might work better. Good luck!

My puppy pit loves to play tag!! If I tell her to go outside she will play! Then I have to get the laser out and make her play with it. I mean upstairs, downstairs, through the first living room , throught the second living room outside back inside over and over again! She loves the dog park, She is a little pussy when her little friends aren't there because their are some really big dogs there but then they start barking and then she starts barking and then they play until we have to leave becuase the park is closing! :D

Guest Anonymous

Ok here goes! Sibe mix- 4-h champion, obedience ch., agility, shake paws, catches treats and is very loyal!

beagle- obedience, conformation, bays on command, catches treats, and acts stupid (even though hes not)

I also enjoy walking with them and going up streets I have never been on. Our neighbor has a pool and all the dogs (including his) jump in and swim, also I love (with beagle ON leash!!) walking through the huge orchard behind our house. I got my beagle a tracking leash and he goes on trails for hours!! Its fun to watch! :D