Dogomania

akita pups withother dogs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi,
I've been thinking about getting a female Akita pup for some time now, however I already have a female Tibetan Spaniel who is 3yrs old. She is approx 12ins, as opposed to an Akitas 24ins. I was just wondering if I'd encounter many problems due to the Akitas dislike of other dogs, And also due to the fact that my Tibetan is quite smaller than the Akita?
Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

dogs rarely factor size into their assessment of pack members. A prey driven dog will look at a smaller dog as prey. A smaller dog (or even a larger dog) that was scared or hurt by large dogs as a puppy may be overly aggressive with strange dogs, especially larger ones. If a dog is dog aggressive, it will not factor that the dog it dislikes is twenty pounds or sixty, if it doesn't like dogs, that's about all there is to it. They will not think that because a dog is smaller, it is any less of a dog and not much of a bother--a dog is a dog is a dog. Some will advise you to train them to get along--I don't beleive in this, especially with dogs of greatly differing sizes--or to keep them seperated constantly (which I do advise if you must have dogs that do not get along)

Guest Anonymous

Most Akitas do not get along with the same sex - period. There are exceptions though, would I take a chance with an 80 pound Akita and a 10-20 pound dog? No - my male Akita (70 pounds) has shaken a 60 pound dog like she was a rag doll. These dogs were bred to take down bear, with the tendency to become dog aggressive (over time with housemates) I just wouldn't take the chance with such a small housemate.