Dogomania

AGILITY

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have an agility question. I am competeing in agility and I run backwards to get my dog thru the weave poles. My trainer is quite upset over this. It has been successful and we are now only 1Q away from excellent. I would like some feed back on why this method of weave pole handling is bad....

Guest Anonymous

Well, there could be alot of reason why this is bad but as in competeing, I haven't heard of a disqualification for running backwards. But maybe your trainer disagrees with this method becuase it leaves you a little unprepared for falls. You could be running backwards and trip and wouldn't be able to save yourself from the fall and I've heard of some judges taking points off for falling. But if that's not the case, it could be becuase if you were to fall, it would cause your dog to run over to you or run somewhere else on the course. or your dog could run behind you and cause you to fall onto your dog and possibly even injure it. There's alot of reason why it could be bad, but maybe you should ask your trainer.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Yes your trainer might be woried because it is very easy to fall in agility. I have had proublems that if I fall then immediently my dog will come and over right away to me. Maybe your trainer is afraid something like this might happpen if you fall???

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']I have an agility question. I am competeing in agility and I run backwards to get my dog thru the weave poles. My trainer is quite upset over this. It has been successful and we are now only 1Q away from excellent. I would like some feed back on why this method of weave pole handling is bad.... [/quote]

So what does your trainer say is the reason he or she doesn't like it?

• 1 month later...

One reason running backwards while your dog is weaving is that when you are done with weaving you then have to turn your body CORRECTLY to help direct the dog on to the next obstacle. Since your dog takes much of it's direction from your body language, if you turn awkwardly or incorrectly you might send them to the wrong obstacle. Even if you can call them back before they go off course, you've wasted 'precious' seconds getting your dog back on track. You might then also become flustered at this point and sometimes that can snowball on you.
Also, as others have mentioned, should you stumble and fall, so many things can happen, you might fall on your dog, in your dogs path, fall into the weave poles or just plain hurt yourself and wreck your run. If you fall on your dog or into the weave poles, runs over, you've DQ'd. If you hurt yourself, runs probably over as well. If your dog comes to you to ask why you are sprawled on the ground when there's more stuff to do and touches you, most likely will also DQ.
However, if this method really REALLY works for you and your dog, I sure wouldn't tell you no no bad handler, I'd just be holding my breath as you executed your repositioning to go on.