Dogomania

GSD

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I wonder if you can help me, i have recently paid a deposit for a german shepard dog who we hope will be a friendly household pet but also a good guard dog. The problem is he is completly white and i have been told white alsations can be very vicious within the home and to other people and animals (i have two cats). could you give me any information you have on this matter .
[email][email protected][/email]

Guest Anonymous

HI

I GREW UP WITH A WHITE ALSATION AND IT WAS A BIT SOPPY DOPE! I WAS 10 AND MY SISTER WAS 8. WE HAD HER FOR 8 YEARS.

I ALSO KNOW A 10 YEAR OLD THAT IS USED IN TRAINING CLASS AS AN EXAMPLE OF GOOD BEHAVIOUR.

OTHER THAN MY OWN EXPERIENCES I CANNOT TRULY ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.

Guest Anonymous

I have to say to this that for the most part dogs are what you make them. Try to sozialize the puppy as soon as possible. Have him around other dogs, people, kids....It's like Pit bulls. I know many that are very very friendly to people and animals. BUT you have to get them around people and animals and not keep them separated from everything. Let the dog know what is acceptable and what is not. I thing that will be your best bet for having or getting a great pet. A Shepherd is sually protective by nature. No need to think that by sozializing him he will not protect the family.....

Guest Anonymous

You shouldnt have a problem training him. I have a freind with a white gsd and its one of the smartest Ive seen. Only problem- the white color comes from inbreeding and you may have some health issues. Make sure when you get the shots to ask the vet to check for hip dysplasia. Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Temperment is not related to color. It is genetic. If your pup is not shy now, chances are he will be fine. Also, early socializatian and obedience trainig or some kind of training such as sch, SAR, agility, showing, exc all are a great help.

Guest Anonymous

You put a deposit on a pup without knowing the temperament of the parents or the dominance of the pup you would be buying from the litter?
Protection is the last thing you want to see in a family pup or even encourage. Dogs can't tell the difference between the kid's new friend who is wrestling with them and the 'bad guy'. Many dogs lose their homes when they bite the wrong person!
You want a friendly outgoing pup with medium temperament for a family dog - one that will alert you when someone comes but not take action on its own initiative deciding who may come and go on your property.
If the breeder cannot predict the temperament of the pup you plan to get and if the parent dogs are not nice friendly dogs once introduced to you then I would ask for that deposit back and look for a breeder who cares about health and temperament (a dog sick with sore hips is not a great one to live with kids for example) in the pups they produce.