Dogomania

Rawhide bones

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My dogs love to chew rawhides, but I have heard that they are not good for them. Is that true? If so, what is a suggested alternative?

Thanks for any advice!

Guest Anonymous

Anything in large quanitites isn't good and the way some raw hide may be processed probably has some residual chemicals that you wouldn't really want to be feeding to your dog. Mine still get a rawhide every now and again.

A great alternative is to go to your local butcher shop and buy some raw knuckles, very cheap and dogs just go crazy for them.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

A lot of times the rawhide gets flimsy instead of breaking and can get stuck in the dogs throat. Agree with the knuckles and dogs love them. As well as pigs ears.

Guest Anonymous

Rawhide chews may be cured with harmful chemicals, Arsenic or other poisons may be put on them to keep rats away during shipment. They expand when wet so if a dog swallows a piece it may get caught in there digestive system, and when chewed they get soft and wet and filled with germs. Also they may encourage chewing on Leather items in your home. Your best bet is to get your dog a "Nylabone" and/or a
"Kong" ball.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: deke on 2002-03-11 09:18 ]</font>

Guest Anonymous

Chewing is normal for a dog, its like reading a book or watching TV, so you should provide something for them to chewing on, not just on special occasions.
By the way Rawhides have the bigest mark up for pet stores this is why they are in prominent places and are often placed at dog eye level.

Guest Anonymous

My dog chews on dropped deer antlers. I called local vet and wildlife office. They said it's safe to chew on. I think it's better for her to chew than rawhides.

Guest Anonymous

I never give my dog the rawhide chews.
Since chewing is natural entertainment for a dog I like to use a cotton Floss rope. He can play with it with me or without me :smile:.

Guest Anonymous

I was warned by a vet that the floss ropes were very bad for dogs as they injest the rope and it can cause blockage in their systems - I didn't altogether stop using them, just only let my guys have theirs when I am home and can watch what they are doing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

RAWHIDE GETS CAUGHT IN THE DIGESTIVE TRACT.
PIG EARS SPLINTER AND GET LODGED IN MOUTH, THROAT, AND DIGESTIVE TRACT. ROPES SHRED AND ARE NOT DIGESTABLE, AND THEREFORE GET ENTANGLED IN THE ANIMALS INTESTINES. GREAT TOYS AND CHEWY'S ARE NYLABONES, AND DEFINITLY THESE HARD RUBBER CONE SHAPED TOYS CALLED DENTAL KONGS, THEY COME IN TINY, SMALL, MED, AND LARGE SIZES. YOU CAN STICK PEANUT BUTTER IN THEM, DOG BUSCUITS, OR!!!! A DOG PUZZLE, SHAPED LIKE A BOX, WITH A HOLE IN IT AND YOU INSERT LITTLE TREATS AND THE DOG KICKS IT AROUND TO GET THE TREATS OUT. THAT IS A GREAT TOY.

Guest Anonymous

FROZEN CARROTS are the best thing to give your dogs, healthy alround..............and what's more if your dog is teething you can't do any better.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought i should have my say about rawhide dogs chews. I would not recommend these given to dogs'*THEY ARE LEATHAL*. large or small. A few years ago my dogs used to have these and I was always there to keep an eye out for any problems, while I was sitting watching the telly one evening, my Bullmastiff who is 2 years old now...was there munching away with his, next thing i knew he was choking, i immediately rushed over to him to find that half of the rawhide was lodged down his throat, i quickly pulled it out. Thankfully he was ok. If I had not have been there with him or was not quick enough, i might have lost him. I found out a few weeks later that a 2 year old Bullmastiff had choked on one, while his owners were in bed, they found him gasping for air the next morning, but it was too late. So please do not give your dogs rawhide, I also stopped giving my dogs bones, as they become very brittle and splinter, which can also be dangerous if swallowed and the stomach gets punctured with these sharp bones. Instead I give mine plenty of Bonio Biscuits, Frozen Carrots, Plenty of fruit which is very good for them, they have there teeth cleaned on a regular basis to prevent the build up of tartar. So they dont need bones to keep there teeth clean. When my dogs are alone they have about 6 or more Kongs each with various foods to keep them occupied till I return, and you can guarantee thay there will be a couple that haven't been touched because they are still working on the other one. The Bullmastiff as the large ones because of his size and the other 2 who are medium size, have the smaller ones. While there are new products coming out, who knows what they will do to your pet. You might have been giving your dogs rawhide and bones for years with no problems, but there is always the first.
PLEASE DONT WAIT FOR IT TO HAPPEN. There are plenty of other toys and treats on the market!

Shannon
Bullmastiff Researcher,Owner and Lover of all Animals.