Dogomania

shih-tzu's breath

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

If her breath is sweet or foul smelling like a urine smell, take her to the vet - these could be signs that something is wrong with her physically. If she just has stinky dog breath, be sure to brush her teeth 3 times per week with doggy toothpaste.

What are you feeding her, brand, wet or dry? Are you feeding table scraps at all? Her stomach may be upset if her diet varies too much. She may also not be ready for dog food, you might want to pick up a small can of Esbilac Step 2 Formula and let her lap it up or mix it in with her dog food. Try that for 3 days and see if that improves her breath.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: akitaresq on 2002-02-07 07:15 ]</font>

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure what type of base it is, I don't have any on me, but it's what I used with the rescue puppy's I've had since 3 weeks of age (Step 1 too).

I do have an at home recipe for making puppy formula:

1 c. evaporated milk
1 c. water
1 tbs. honey or karo syrup
1 egg yolk

Mix ingredients together and put it down for her to lap up. Fresh water should always be available.

You're welcome!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: akitaresq on 2002-02-07 12:51 ]</font>

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi Tesha.
I thought i should point out a problem that most people on here dont.

If your puppy's breath smells really pongy, this could indicate worms, (I know what I am going to say wont be nice) but these are nasty worm like things that live inside your pet and whatever your pet eats, they take away' leaving your puppy unhealthy, prior to bad breath and becoming ill, if its left. There is help at hand here...your vet can provide you with some worming pills or paste, which ever you will find easiest to use. Dogs do have to be wormed regular just as other animals do, like Cats and Horses!
What i would advise you not to do is let your dog lick your face.

Shannon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-02-06 16:06, tesha wrote:
She really has terrible breath and only seven weeks old. Anything we're doing that might be causing that? What can we do for it?
[/quote]
Puppy breath should be the sweetest thing in the world - never mind brushing her teeth get her to a vet to check this out!

Guest Anonymous

Cheapest and easiest method that works:
Buy a rope toy. It flosses the teeth. Buy a dental bone or a REAL bone from the local butcher. They will clean the teeth off.
I own several dogs and use this method. IT WORKS! People, dont be so quick to take a dog to the vet over bad breath. Its common amoung dogs and can be taken care of if you provide the right "toys".
As for dogs eating their own feces, some do it some dont. Wont hurt them. But it is nasty. To stop this from happening you need to clean the crape up as soon as it hits the dirt.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-05-01 06:37, Anonymous wrote:
snip rope bone
People, dont be so quick to take a dog to the vet over bad breath. Its common amoung dogs and can be taken care of if you provide the right "toys".
snip coprophragia[/quote]
7 week old pups don't have bad breath for the reason of dirty teeth with tartar build up their breath should be fresh and sweet if they are healthy
Rope bones can cause problems if bits are swallowed, and can also train pups to chew on cloth items in your home - not always what people want.
A puppy with bad breath deserves an extra vet visit to find out why - it would be terrible to buy a rope bone instead of discovering a kidney infection for example or a raw ulcer in the pups mouth for another.