Dogomania

Nutro Brand Dog Food

Guest Anonymous

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Nutro is a good food, and I would certainly select it over any other dry food sold in most supermarkets and most pet stores! More details about why....

There are basically 3 qualities of dog food.

1. Supermarket brands like Alpo, Pedigree, etc. which are the cheapest and contain the poorest ingredients. (And some "sub-supermarket no-name or store brands which are absolute crap.)

2. "Premium" dog foods like IAMS, Eukanuba, Science Diet, etc. which cost a bit more, are often sold in pet stores and pushed by veterinarians, and which advertise a lot! These have slightly better ingredients but cost more than they are worth usually.

3. "Super Premium" dog foods like Bil Jac, Innova, California Natural, Canidae, Flint River Ranch, and others. Most of these are holistic--unlike 1 & 2 above, they contain no artificial ingredients or preservatives, food coloring, etc. They also contain the very best ingredients--what are sometimes called "human grade" ingredients. In other words, they use the same chicken you would eat, not ground up chicken bones and guts. They are also fortified with various "probiotics," or natural enzymes and bacterial cultures (like in yogurt) that help digestion.

There is of course some disagreement and different preferences among dog owners over which food are premiums or super premiums. Some, for example, might consider Eikanuba a Super premium, but it is definitely not!

To answer your question about Nutro: It is considered by many nutritionally educated dog people to be the best of the "premiums." It is kind of on the borderline between premium and super premium.

I would advise any dog owner to feed a super premium food. These seem to be more expensive, but in reality they are not because they are so superior nutrionally that your dog will usually eat far less per meal and be satisfied. They also have greater health benefits, often helping to eliminate problems like food allergies because of their beteer ingredients.

However, super premiums are not as easily available. You may need to hunt around to find a large feed store or major pet center that carries them. (Search for any of those I've named above on the Internet. They all have sites.) I personally use Innova and Bil Jac--two formulas because I have four very different size and breed dogs. I have tried Flint River Ranch and Canidae and both are also excellent. Each has a different percentage of ingredients and a different philosophy, so you need to read up on them online and select what sounds best for your dog. In my experience, most dogs love the tast of Bil Jac and Flint River the best! That's not to say the others taste bad. I had a dog that refused to eat dry kibble who would readily gulp down any of those--dry!

If you don't wish to get into super premium foods, Nutro is probably the next best choice. It is almost up there with the super premiums, but costs less and is easily available in several formulas. The Nutro Max formulas have a bit more protein, and the Nutro Natural Choice formulas are the most holistic, containing the more natural unadulterated ingredients. Either is a good choice, and make sure to consider which of there several formulas is best for you dog (Adult, Senior, Puppy, Large Breed, Lite, etc.)

Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Kelly']Hi,
Has anyone had any experience with this brand? What type? Thanks.[/quote]

Well to weigh in on the other side I do not like this food at all. I have never had a dog do well on it and they all produced lots of gas and stinky big stools when fed it particularly the lamb one.
I do rescue and have had dogs brought to me that were on Nutro that only had their stomach problems clear up when they were taken off of it.
I know some people do have good luck using it but my criteria for a food is all the dogs have to do well on it and be willing to eat it twice a day and for that this food does not fit my bill.
I happen to use Bil Jac but there are plenty of good foods out there - just remember the important part of the food is how it makes the dog look and feel not the advertising gimmicks being used to market it.

Guest Anonymous

I would buy Bil Jac but when you are only 14 and your mom says the dogs are your responsibality then I have to buy my own. I use Pro Plan. Bil Jac is expensive... but you get what you pay for!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='beagle88']I would buy Bil Jac but when you are only 14 and your mom says the dogs are your responsibality then I have to buy my own. I use Pro Plan. Bil Jac is expensive... but you get what you pay for![/quote]

I see lots of healthy dogs on ProPlan - I just don't like to pick up the amount of poop that goes with it :) so I feed a more expensive brand with less fillers in it. If you only have a choice of supermarket type foods I think (after doing analysis of the contents and seeing that they do feeding trials - on beagles no less :) ) that Purina ProPlan could be a pretty decent choice for you.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='beagle88']Once I am old enough to get a job they are going straight to bil jac![/quote]

But remember its only a great food if your dogs do great on it :-)
And maybe by then someone will have come up with a food your dogs will like better and do better on - you never know :-)

Guest Anonymous

Thats true! I need to save and try a bag. I will never go back to atta boy. I hate that stuff. Thats before I realized how important my dogs nutrient is!

Hey you know how in dry dog food the number one indgrident (s/p) should be beef or chicken. What should it be in wet dog food?

Guest Anonymous

You had to have known this was coming...

Nutro was one of the foods tested by the FDA found to contain sodium pentobarbital. I was as surprised as anyone since I was actually considering this as an alternative to the food I am already feeding since Nutro is more widely available. I expected to find the sp in foods like Ol' Roy and such. I was highly disappointed that it was found in Nutro.

High price does not quarantee quality, though quality does not come cheap (if that makes any sense). Eukanuba and Science Diet are basically high priced garbage.

Guest Anonymous

By the way, when cornered, Nutro had to pull the "human grade" claim from their labeling as it was discovered to be a blatant lie.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='beagle88']Thats true! I need to save and try a bag. I will never go back to atta boy. I hate that stuff. Thats before I realized how important my dogs nutrient is!

Hey you know how in dry dog food the number one indgrident (s/p) should be beef or chicken. What should it be in wet dog food?[/quote]

The number one ingredient usually about 83% of canned dog food is WATER :lol: which is why calorie for calorie dry food is the better buy.
Canned food is for flavoring with my herd of dogs -they get a small bit of canned food and the rest dry for their two meals a day. Plenty of fresh water kept available of course :D

Wet food, also known as tinned, may and yes it has more water in it than dry, but alot of canned foods can be fed as a complete food they still have all the nutrients in them, pedigree tinned can be fed as a complete food, and will not harm a pup, adult, senior in any way, they are totally balanced.
Pedigree naming one company do an awful lot of feeding tests, and breeder trials, to get the information that is needed, they take all and any infrmation on board, they have vets, nutritionalists, all at hand.
Ter is a total difference between complete dry food and premium dry food.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='roo']Wet food, also known as tinned, may and yes it has more water in it than dry, but alot of canned foods can be fed as a complete food they still have all the nutrients in them, pedigree tinned can be fed as a complete food, and will not harm a pup, adult, senior in any way, they are totally balanced.
Pedigree naming one company do an awful lot of feeding tests, and breeder trials, to get the information that is needed, they take all and any infrmation on board, they have vets, nutritionalists, all at hand.
Ter is a total difference between complete dry food and premium dry food.[/quote]

Well my vote is for a complete premium food for my dogs :-)
About the canned foods as being ok no harm etc - one problem with canned foods - teeth! I like feeding the dry food dry for better tooth cleaning and providing the water for sloshing it all down. Even with my big breeds I make sure the food I feed is low expansion and they get it with only a bit of water to it - not enough to make it less than crunchy.
I proved the canned food as a yummy to go with dinner but dinner calories come from the dry food for the most part.