Dogomania

15 week old golden retriever peeing problem

bronson

We have a 15 week old female golden retriever and she is really sweet BUT she likes to go pee in her kennel and if she can she licks it up. She is confined in a porter kennel and we have made it small enough that she can just turn around in it and we have a towel in the bottom of it for her to lay on. We take her out quite often and at the same times so she knows she is going to go out. She actually lays on her wet towel and doesn't seem to have a problem with that. We even feed her in the kennel thinking that she won't want to pee where she eats. That doesn't seem to work either. We also have a 5 year old yellow lab and I've had a bunch of other dogs but I have never had this problem. We got her at 8 weeks of age and she is good in every other way but we do need to get her trained so any ideas will be appreciated.

Got her from a private party and there were 10 puppies to choose from, she is 15 weeks old and will be 16 weeks this Monday, and she is taken out of her kennel about every three hours and when she gets up from a nap or after she eats which is twice a day. When she comes out of the kennel it is right outside to the business area.

Thanks for getting back to us!!!
We took her to the vet and he gave us some pills for the possibility of a bladder infection and then about a week later I took her back in and they gave her a clean bill of health. I agree about thier not wanting to soil thier den area but she just doesn't seem to care if she is wet. I am now trying a muzzle on her to keep her from licking anything up and I put a plastic tub (like tuperware) in the bottom of the kennel to catch the pee so if she does do her thing she will have to lay in it. I am going to give her a bath this AM because I just can't stand the way she smells anymore.