Dogomania

Ethical-Responsible

TLCPETS

How ethical would it be for a breeder to breed only to improve thier bloodline?
No puppies would be outed to the public. All puppies not kept by breeder for breeding/show purposes would be euthanized.
I am so tired of all the breeder titles that comes with selling puppies, and if you give them away......it's worse. 9 times out of 10 a free dog/puppy is a mistreated dog/puppy.
Would this be responsible, ethical or what?
Edit:
Why not spay/neuter? Because I dont breed to furnish no one with puppies but myself. I dont need to sell puppies to support my hobby.

I may misunderstand, so please be patient.

Are you saying that you would breed a litter and keep all the puppies (not sell them) and then breed those puppies back to each other to improve your bloodlines?

Wouldn't this be considered inbreeding or linebreeding and if so, wouldn't that cause severe genetic problems with any offspring eventually?

I think over time you would be causing more harm to your bloodlines than good and not it's not very ethical IMVHO. I heard of a Belgian Sheepdog breeder who did this very same thing with 4 littermates. Her goal was to have a 10 generation pedigree just off of the original 4 dogs ...... I believe the results were so disastrous health wise, she never bred or had another dog again.

[quote]9 times out of 10 a free dog/puppy is a mistreated dog/puppy.[/quote]

If this is true then the breeder is somewhat responsible for what happens to the pup. It is up to the breeder to conduct a thorough screening and reference checking before placing a pup, whether free or not.

[quote name='JudyHoffman']I may misunderstand, so please be patient.

<<<Are you saying that you would breed a litter and keep all the puppies (not sell them) and then breed those puppies back to each other to improve your bloodlines?>>>>

No this is not what I am saying.

<<<Wouldn't this be considered inbreeding or linebreeding and if so, wouldn't that cause severe genetic problems with any offspring eventually?>>>>

Not neccesarily. Inbreeding/linebreeding doesnt create problems. It merely brings hidden problems to the forefront (ie) recessive to recessive genes.

<<<I think over time you would be causing more harm to your bloodlines than good and not it's not very ethical IMVHO. I heard of a Belgian Sheepdog breeder who did this very same thing with 4 littermates. Her goal was to have a 10 generation pedigree just off of the original 4 dogs ...... I believe the results were so disastrous health wise, she never bred or had another dog again.>>>

I think this lady should have done her homework on genetics.

<<<If this is true then the breeder is somewhat responsible for what happens to the pup. It is up to the breeder to conduct a thorough screening and reference checking before placing a pup, whether free or not.[/QUOTE]>>>

True, but people do lie.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about ethical or responsible, but I would have to say it is definitely inhumane. How cruel is it to bring puppies into this world and then euthanize them because they didn't meet your requirements? There are sooooooo many good homes just waiting for a pet.

If your own children didn't live up to your expectations, would you have them killed? Sorry, but I think that killing perfectly healthy puppies FOR ANY REASON is inhuman, unethical, and irresponsible. If you don't want to be responsible for the puppies that you cause to be brought into this world, then you shouldn't breed at all. Just my opinion, of course....

• 2 years later...