Dogomania

GSD needs help!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay, here's the deal (kinda long). At one point my parents had 3 dogs, 2 GSDs and a Rat Terrier. One GSD, Cody, came from the humane society. Kayley, other GSD, from a breeder. Rat Terrier, Rocket, from a pet store (they didn't know any better). Anyway, soon after they got Kayley my dad got really sick. No one else seemed to be willing to take on her training. She eventually killed Rocket. She bit him very hard around the mid section and punctured something. The vet said it was best to put him down b/c he likely wouldn't survive the surgery.

Okay, fast forward a few weeks and my parents find a good home for her with a local pastor and his family. No other dogs or cats. 3 kids who play with her every day. For the past couple of months they've been fighting skin issues with her. Kayley will scratch so hard that she makes herself bleed. The vet has not diagnosed anything specific. They've tried antibiotics, allergy shots, etc. Nothing is working. They're going to put her on a duck (and something else) based dog food b/c the vet thinks maybe she's allergic to something in her food. Problem with this is that even if it works the cost of the food is simply too much for the pastor to afford. It's over $40 every two weeks.

So, here I am desperately seeking help for her. Any ideas on foods to try? Any other suggestions to help with the skin problem? Anyone know of a rescue that is breed specific to GSDs that could maybe help? My mom can't take her in b/c with my dad gone she can't afford that food (if it works) either. But the pastor also is looking for someone knowledgeable to talk to, someone who may be able to help find the right solution.

Long story short, any suggestions for treatments or new food? Also a GSD specific rescue? I ask for a GSD rescue b/c I know that breed specific rescues are usually willing to take on dogs with medical issues that others either won't take or would have put down. Thanks in advance for any help.

Guest Anonymous

They could try chicken instead of duck. Kinda like my recipe... Just buy a huge bag of frozen legs and boil them with cabbage, carrots and rice. If the legs are boiled long enough the bones will soften up enough not to hurt the dog. Pretty much anything can be added to it for extra nutrients. I would also suggest adding a little oil in there.

Guest Anonymous

Hmmmmm, would that be all she gets fed? I've never fed homemade before so I'm not sure how it all works.

And Mei thanks I'm looking at their site now. Maybe they'll be able to help.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='BentleysMom']Hmmmmm, would that be all she gets fed? I've never fed homemade before so I'm not sure how it all works.

And Mei thanks I'm looking at their site now. Maybe they'll be able to help.[/quote]
As long as she is getting the nutrients she needs that would be enough. Leaving the bones in there helps add a lot of nurishment dogs dont always get. I do mix some raw meat in after everything has cooked (while its still warm). Its meat made specifically for working dogs, called Quail, and its not expensive. You might do some checking at the farm stores around and see what they carry as far as natural meats go.
I also add garlic, barley and a few other things but if she has a problem with some foods I would just start with the basics.
Oh, and if they have to feed duck... It may be cheaper at the Asian market...

Guest Anonymous

The only problem with that is I'm not sure that they'll go that extra distance in preparing her food themselves. I hate to see her given away, but if they can't help her I'm hoping that a GSD rescue will be able to take her in.

Guest Anonymous

The good thing is... It is very simple to make. All they would need to do is throw everything in a big pot and bring it to a boil. let it simmer for a bit and its done. They could make enough for a week or so...

Whenever I come across an allergy prone dog, the first thing I do is either feed them raw, or find a food with no or low grain content, as I've found most food allergies are caused by carbs, grain, and beet pulp.
See if they'll try Innova Evo, it's strictly protein, no grains. While it's expensive, they'll actually feed less of it since it's really high calorie food. I could feed three dogs (65 lbs, 60lbs, and 50 lbs) for three weeks on a 30 lb. bag. Supplement it with some fish oil or Missing Link and see how she does.

Wow, I have been going through skin issues with Baxter since we got him too. Pyrs being white have notoriously sensitive skin, and although I don't have problems with Sash, Bax has had big hot spots on his left hip on and off.
The rescue group had great success with Pro Plan Turkey and Barley, which we had switched him from when we first got him. He's back on it now! Several Pyr owners that we know with dogs with skin issues and even food allergies have had great success with this food, as well as the Pro Plan Salmon for sensitive skin and stomach. I know that food can be a huge debate here, and while Pro Plan is not the human-grade feed a lot of people prefer, you can't argue with this kind of success, right? And it is reasonably priced-$30 for 40 pounds, my 106 pound Pyr only needs four cups a day. :D I have found that corn is a big factor with allergy-prone dogs, too, so whatever they choose they should keep that in mind.
Also, a bit of olive oil or flaxseed oil on the food morning and evening helps too, I have done this for years with Taz and it stops the winter itchies.
For an existing hot spot, the key is to keep it dry. Gold Bond Triple Action Medicated Powder is a goldmine for this. Hot spots are self-perpetuating, ie, they are caused because the dog is so itchy he will scratch and bite and lick and that's where they come from.
My newest thing is Solid Gold Sea Meal, which Baxter has only been on for a week now. Any treatment that goes to the source of the problem does take about a month for results, so I cannot say for certain if this will help him or not, but I have seen enough before and after photos to convince me to try it. It is $19 for a pound, and you only use a teaspoon for a big dog like mine.
I hope this helps her!