Dogomania

OH...MY...GOD! Three Landseers at my favorite rescue!!!

JackieMaya

At the rescue I got my three kids from, they have THREE, count 'em, THREE Landseer puppies up for adoption! There's 2 girls and a boy, and they're all 5 months old. And they have the biggest adoption fee I've ever seen at this shelter: $500 a piece. The two girls have been together their whole life, so they would prefer that they get adopted out together.

If I didn't have any dogs, I would get the two girls. There's no way I can get one, but WOW! Some day ...

The boy:
Kyber:
[img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/MN09/MN09.5366530-2-x.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5366530&adTarget=&SessionID=43783faf3b621eda-app3&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=[/url]

The girls:
[url]http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5375707&adTarget=&SessionID=43783faf3b621eda-app3&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=[/url]

Nixie
[img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/MN09/MN09.5375707-2-x.jpg[/img]

and Elsa
[img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/MN09/MN09.5375707-3-x.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Debbie']:wink: You better stop looking J.M......you're torturing yourself !!! :lol:[/quote]

I don't know why I keep looking! I should have that site blocked! LOL

[quote name='DrJeffrock']Great looking dogs. Why such a high adoption fee?[/quote]

I suppose because they're a pretty rare breed around here.

They are stunning!

I think the adoption fee is not right but I can see why thay have to do it ... they are probably afraid someone would turn around and sell them for a profit. Also they may have had to buy the pups from a neglectful owner (? just speculation ... I saw a similar situation like that on petfinder, they upped their normal adoption fee from $100 to $500 for two apricot poodles).

Those are the prettiest Newfies I've ever seen! They are very lucky to have found their way into a good rescue.

As for the adoption fee, why the anger? Any dedicated Newfie seeker would tell you that 500 dollars is nothing for a fully vetted baby. (Vets charge by size for spay/neuter- if you think getting your dog fixed was expensive!). Plus, if a potential owner cannot pay that upfront, they are not ready for the vet bills. (newfiemom, I'm sure you have stories!)

Ideally, adoption fees should be equal and cheap. Let's be honest though- there will be a line of people who will gladly pay 500 dollars for these puppies. It will not hurt their chances to find responsible homes. If they can charge a higher adoption fee to help cover costs for special needs/less desirable dogs in the program, why not? I'm sure they eat huge vet bills all the time. Look at the number of senior dogs on the site who have needed special vet care- they can't ask higher adoption fees for them to help cover their vet care because they might not even be adopted if they were 'free'.

And then there are the dogs they take in and vet who will never make it to adoption- all the parvo litters they lose, the HBCs they try to save..

I don't have a problem with rescues charging more for purebreds for the reasons BM said and also because won't that money go to help the rescue give more dogs good homes? I dunno, I just don't see a problem with it.

But I can say that at $500 a piece those dogs have very, very little chance of going to a home together. :(

Actually, I agree with Woof and Abker. Ideally, the adoption fee should be the same, but rescues often have to operate in the [color=red]red[/color]. I know of some rescues that have higher rates for the more adoptable dogs. It's just an effort to raise more money for the rescue. Fair isn't always fair in rescue work. If it helps the rescue be able to stay in operation while helping find dogs a proper home, I'm ok with it. I can understand where people would be p*ssed by raising rates for some dogs, but by the same logic, ALL dogs should have a chance at a home. You have to pick and choose which dogs to save, and you have to raise money however you can. It may not be fair, but you can only do what you can do. The dogs get a carefully screened home and the rescue gains funds to help them operate. I can't find any problem with that. $500 seems high, but if they can get it, more power to them.

Then again, there are breeders that call themselves "rescuers" (not meaning the legitimate breeder/rescuers), but we aren't talking about them. I see them on Petfinder all the time, though. :x

Well said HorseFeathers.
As for the breeders on petfinder, no kidding! Luckily, they're usually pretty obvious though (the fact that the pups aren't fixed and there are no adult dogs avaliable :roll:)

Raising the adoption fee also gives 'average' dogs a chance. When someone is looking for a big puppy and you have a litter of black GSD mixes and these flashy Newfs, Average Pet Owner will want the pretty purebreds rather it is the right choice or not. The fee helps them make the decision, gives the less desirable pups a chance and prevents a flood of inappropriate applications on the Newf pups.

It would probably be a good thing if the female pups are split up- that is a lot of dog for one person, and at that age pups should be easily seperated regardless of history. [/quote]

I think the higher adoption fee is an excellent idea for those pups-it helps to weed out the serious adopters from the "oh aren't they so cute and goofy" adopters, and may lessen the chance of the dog being returned to rescue because the new owner was not prepared for a 100 lb. dog with the grace of a linebacker... :D