Dogomania

Torn on pit bulls (again)

BuddysMom

A 10 year old mauled by his own family's dogs and just hanging on.

They broke all the rules, of law and common sense, as many pit bull owners do.

The whole breed suffers, as well as those who truly love the whole breed.

If you love these dogs is it worth promoting their "responsible breeding" just so more af them can suffer and be tortured? Would it be not more humane to let them phase out into the pages of history? Can we keep ignoring the legions of pit bull BYBs and torturers?

edited to take out the last line, which was a prediction on my flaming. Also to add the link so you know what I'm talking about:

[url]http://denverpost.com/carman/ci_3181341[/url]

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Im not going to flame you....
But I would like to say this kind of thing happens with all breeds. So, if you ban one breed for such a thing then all breeds who bite/maul/attack should be eliminated. That would mean, NO DOGS. Whatsoever. Any dog can bite, any dog can kill. why point to one breed and say it should be eliminated for it?
The parents should be held responsible for the family dog. And if they have children further steps have got to be taken to protect the children and the dog.
I have said it a million times, and Im more than willing to say it a million times more... Any one of my dogs can be around children and not a single problem will ever arise. BUT, I take the precautions I know are necessary when children and dogs are involved together.
So, should my dogs be punished for what someone elses dog does? So, to me it sounds like you agree with BSL. And if you look at the way BSL has gone with the banning of breeds you can see it extends to several other breeds.
I am sure, BM, that dogs just like yours have bitten, mauled, and even killed. Should they be eliminated as well?

No I don't agree with BSL, the main reasin being that it would not work.

I don't know what would work though. And I am pretty sure that breeding more APBT's, no matter how wonderful thay are, is not a healthy step toward a solution if one does exist.

By the way if you can find a report of a dogl like Buddy killing or maiming someone please send it along. If it helps you in your search, the best guesses on his breed are lab/BC, beagle/springer, or lab/basset. Oh yes, and he's CGC, TDI and of course proudly nuetered. Bring on those news reports of maulings by dogs similar to him then, can't wait to see them.

[quote name='Hmmmm']So, now mutts dont bite/maul or kill??
Thats ridiculous.[/quote]

Sure some do, but you said ones like mine. Find me one like mine who has maimed/killed.

In reality that is just a distraction from the main issue, which we will never agree on, which we have been around the block on many times, so we may as well forget it.

But I do appreciate Alan's trying to see my point of view, and everyone who is interested in a solution beyond BYB; one that would work. Like I said I don't know if such a solution exists.

I have completely changed my stance somewhat in pitbulls. I don't think they should be in residential neighborhoods without a fenced yard, because people are stupid and don't know how to take care of their dogs.

I look at pitbulls and how they can be agressive to other dogs-- but yet it's kind of being a hypocrite. . because my dog is VERY animal aggresive when they come in our yard. He beat up a pitbull before on his chain and made a boxer walk away bleeding. Luckily theres been no serious incidents. While we are out walking he does not try to fight any dog he ignores them-- it's just if they come in our yard - he's fuming mad! And guess what-- my dogs a lab!

He's the sweetest animal towards most people but he does not like other animals at all. Except for little dogs - he just pretty much ignores them.

Guest Anonymous

I dont think it would be all that difficult to find the breeds your dog is made up of involved in attacks. Labs, BC... Ummm, COME ON. As well as the rest of what you listed.
Maybe we should blame your dog for the bites of all those breeds? After all, thats what happens to the pit bulls. they are blamed for attacks before the identity of the dog is even known. And, a lot of times it never even was a pit bull. One of the dogs in this case was a pit-cow mix?? But that will go against the pit bull.
[quote]Would it be not more humane to let them phase out into the pages of history?[/quote]
Lets just phase out every breed that might end up attakcing someone. And we might as well take care of the ones that already exist. Guess that means your dog would have to go too??
Your definately right. I would never in my life agree with any of you "phase out" bullshit.
And you are a dog lover??

I wish I had the statistics in front of me. It's my understanding that pit bulls are not nearly as frequent a biter as many other breeds. I think chihuahuas are #1, but of course they can't do much damage with their tiny mouths. But if I remember correctly, it was something like a german shepard with the most dangerous rating. No one's suggesting we do away with them because they're popular. Rin Tin Tin, and all the war stories, and police dogs, and so on, make GSDs seen as heros. But they can be very dangerous if trained badly, just like many large dogs.

I'm not in favor of any breed-specific legislation or removal. That just blindly attempts to address a symptom, not the problem. The problem is idiots who don't properly raise, train, and restrain their dogs. And people who engage in macho fighting "sports" with animals. I know an Italian greyhound who was used as live bait to "train" fighting dogs. The lucky IG survived and ended up in rescue. People who do that are sick, and they create monsters out of man's best friend.

There are LEGIONS of wonderful pit bulls who would never hurt a flea!! I never said there weren't. And mutts who have killed, never said there weren't.

Jess, I am sorry I'm making you sick.

But I am equivalent of a genocidal maniac just because I suggested that MAYBE human being's SELECTIVE BREEDING of certain dogs be curtailed in order to stop a culture that leads to cruelty and abuse?! (A culture which some of you conveniently look away from; at best?!) Humans own dogs. We decide if, when, and to whom they breed. So I guess this makes all of us slave masters? OK if you think that, go join PETA.

Good link Alan. :D

I agree with what Hmmmm has said. Where will "phasing out" breeds stop? Rotties are powerful and many bites by them have been reported... what about them? And German Shepherds too? What about the other bully breeds, will you say theyre too dangerous too?

Pit bulls are popular dogs and they make up a big percentage of the dog population.... meaning the number of bites is actually a smaller percentage in comparison to other breeds.

I understand the concern for public safety and wanting to have bad breeders stop breeding, but why get rid of such a great breed. Not too long ago, I wouldve probably agreed with you BuddysMom, but I've come a long way since then. The fact is, youd never be able to completely get rid of the pit bull because people wont comply. Most likely we'd end up with a bunch of cur, man-biting, overall badly bred dogs on our hands instead of the great dogs we have now.

[quote name='Jessashelony']Ok BM... Find my proof that pit bulls are more dangerous than any other breed...

Other than just the fact that they are the ones that always make the news.... (regardless of the fact that they aren't always actually American Pit Bull Terriers)[/quote]

But Jess you miss my point (and that is much my fault for taking Hmmmm's bait before...)

It is not about whether pit bulls are more dangerous to people ...

It is about the fact that they are so horribly abused by people THEMSELVES.

THAT is what breaks my heart the most. And I can't help thinking, that people who make more litters of pit bulls are setting more up for horrible tortured deaths.

Yes good post CC, and many of you.

No the breed shouldn't be eradicated ...

But what is to be done, to protect the DOGS?

The BYB / thug problem with pit bulls is like meth; like nothing we have ever seen before and it results in unrprecedented cruelty INCLUDING bsl ...

Doesn't anyone else see that?! Doesn't it break anyone else's hearts?! Or do you just want to keep on loving youre own and ignoring the insane crisis all around?

Edited to add, No I don't know the answer. But maybe we can think about it?

[quote name='Alan']You know, we have a sheriffe here. He is great. He trained the officers on things to do to bust Pit Bull rings. They were all trained on what to look for and everything. It was in the paper. 90% of the people in the paper, bitched at him for doing it. They said he was wasting time and money. Even when it was poited out that often times other crimes like gambling and drugs are associated with dog fighing, they still thought he was a joke for doing it![/quote]

Thanks Alan. That is the stuff I'm talking about. This lawman should be lionized instead of spurned.

[quote name='Alan']
I have said this before but you are gonna make me say it again.

You are about three times smarter than your age!

What the heck do you eat for breakfast anyhow? I need some of it!

What ever it is I eat, just makes me a smart a**. Even worse, a nice smart a**. They dont seem to go good together do they? :lol:[/quote]

Thanks Alan. :oops: :D

I eat cereal. :lol: Yum-may! :P

Thanks, BuddysMom as well. :wink:

I do think something needs to get done because, yes, it does break my heart to know that so many pit bulls are abused. Id also love to see a ban on breeding for one year... maybe every ten years or so until the overpopulation gets under control. Unfortunately we wind up with the same problem as BSL again... people wont comply and the people wo would, complain and protest like hell.

One thing I would like to see, is petshops being illegal. That and selling dogs over the internet. Oh and no stupid newspaper ads for selling pets either. :roll:

[quote name='Alan']I wrote in and gave my two cents. It's on the internet. If you want to see if, I will see if I can find it. Its just readers from the paper putting down pits and the sheriffe.[/quote]

Yes, I would really like to see it if you can find without much trouble. :angel: