Dogomania

How can you tell when a rat terrier is pregnant?

ciampam

I did keep an eye on her. I have a roomate that at night that would come out to use the restroom and leave her door open at night..so, it is really hard for me to keep and eye on my dog in my house...and also she told me her dog was to old and thing did not work....

[quote name='ciampam']I did keep an eye on her. I have a roomate that at night that would come out to use the restroom and leave her door open at night..so, it is really hard for me to keep and eye on my dog in my house...and also she told me her dog was to old and thing did not work....[/quote]
Umm...Dogs are never to old to get another dog pregnent.

thats not necessarily true....some dogs "shoot blanks" when they are older..

if you would have gotten your dog fixed then you wouldnt even be wondering if she was pregnant or not

take her to the vet and have x rays done to see if there are puppies

she could be pregnant or she could be going through a flase pregnancy..

get your dog fixed!!

[quote name='ciampam']She was the only dog in the house and i didn't feel i had to get her fixed since she was the only dog... but, trust me this won't happien again...[/quote]

it's still much healthier for her to be fixed.

after each heat they have they are at a higher risk for certain cancers and other diseases

plus dogs have been known to go through windows, chew through doors, jump fences, mate through fences, etc. to get to a female dog

OK. ok. Let me explain. I lived in my own house with my husband and kids. I got baby girl. she was the only dog in my house until i decided to help a friend out until she got her own place. So, I told her at night to please make sure her male dog stayed down stairs with her at night only while we were asleep. I am not on here to get jumped on by everyone telling me I should have gottan her fixed. When she is going to be the only dog in the house...

I'm sorry if we're coming across as jumping on you. Everyone here just really cares about the welfare of the animals. In the long run it will be better for everyone if you have your dog spayed now. Less risk of the dog trying to escape to mate, less risk of cancer and other related health problems, less risk of adding more puppies to an already over-populated dog population, less stress and things for you to have to worry about. :D

Guest Anonymous

I'm glad you are going to get her fixed...I'm also glad you are willing to keep up to 10 pups (I think that is what was in my friends litter). I also hope that if you do have puppies and keep them you get them fixed.

You were NOT being jumped on. You came to a group of dog loving people who are either involved in rescue or are in the rare class considered RESPONSIBLE breeders. We don't condone back yard breeders or puppy mills.

Most people are like me and believe that all dogs that are pets only should be fixed (pets only...eg those not in conformation). It's not only the pet over population issue it is a health issue. Pyrometria, mammary cancer are just two of the many issues that come from having an unaltered female.

welcome to dogo, i'm happy you decided to spay your dog.
the problems with pregnat dog don'e end only in money and spaces ( althought it's no less important ) whatabout the time you'll need to be there? do you know what's it 10+ - dogs runinng around all day? madness it's not the word, do you know how is it to train 10 dogs in the same time? to spare time to play and walk them? no breeder in the world would manage that.
and of course pics, you don't think you can stay here without showing us your lady? :angel:

An *old* dog doesn't necessarily shoot blanks..... :wink:
My friend that lives out in the boondocks has a young female dog.......and a neighboring *old*(12yr.) male dog got her preggers....... :roll:
She only had 2 pups, but none the less he wasn't shooting blanks entirely !!! :lol: :lol:

I hope your dog isn't pregnant and you get her fixed before this might happen again..... :wink:

[color=darkblue][/color][size=6][/size] I don't think see is going to have 10 puppies she not that fat. yet..... I can not wait until I fined out....I will try to keep everyone informed about Baby girl... Is she pergo or not...either way I still love her and will keep spoiling her like my own...I tried to tell the owner of the male dog that he could still get my baby girl prego. She wanted to say that he was to old and could not do anything...Boy won't she be pissed If I find out she is and I hand her the vet bill...lol

[quote name='Debbie']An *old* dog doesn't necessarily shoot blanks..... :wink:
My friend that lives out in the boondocks has a young female dog.......and a neighboring *old*(12yr.) male dog got her preggers....... :roll:
She only had 2 pups, but none the less he wasn't shooting blanks entirely !!! :lol: :lol:

I hope your dog isn't pregnant and you get her fixed before this might happen again..... :wink:[/quote]

I know, what i was saying is that an old dog CAN become unfertile or whatever it's called.....most dogs dont..but some do

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP'][quote name='Debbie']An *old* dog doesn't necessarily shoot blanks..... :wink:

I hope your dog isn't pregnant and you get her fixed before this might happen again..... :wink:[/quote]

I know, what i was saying is that an old dog CAN become unfertile or whatever it's called.....most dogs dont..but some do[/quote]

I was directing that toward ciampam so that she didn't get a false sense of security with her un-spayed female around *old* male dogs :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Debbie'][quote name='AllAmericanPUP'][quote name='Debbie']An *old* dog doesn't necessarily shoot blanks..... :wink:

I know, what i was saying is that an old dog CAN become unfertile or whatever it's called.....most dogs dont..but some do[/quote]

I was directing that toward ciampam so that she didn't get a false sense of security with her un-spayed female around *old* male dogs :wink:[/quote]
My Oakie dog produced pups when he was 16.