Dogomania

Dog Food again...

imported_raven

I am sure, there are other threads about this question. I did go through most of the posts but just did not find _the_ answer..

I feed Purina One and Simba seems to be healthy, shiny fur (the short hair he has) and good digestion. He does not like it too much, though, I always put something else in there (half a can of tuna, a tiny amount of cheese or a little bit of yoghurt).

Now I don't want to change to raw food right away. I keep it in mind, but for right now, I think, I want to stay with dry food. I don't seem to be able to find a really good dry food in the store - I go to PetSmart.

Where do you get your food and what seems to be a good dry food? And the same thing goes for cookies - what do you give your dogs? I always make sure, they don't have sugar or too much salt or some other funny things, and there seem to be less and less good cookies in the store. :-?

Oh! Food dehydrator! Great idea!!!!

Where do you buy Innova? PetSmart doesn't have it, do they?

@Dione: I already do that - I usually put something 'healthy' in his food. He loves the tuna and cheese, yoghurt when it's hot outside and sometimes a tiny bit of peanut butter (but then my beloved fiance has to do it as I am allergic... :roll: )

some doog foods are Timberwolf, Merrick, Wyson, Wellness, Canidae, Pinacle(sp?), Chicken soup for the dog lover's soul, etc.

i think the only decent brand that petsmart carries is their brand called Authority

most dog foods have a website and a store locator so maybe you can find a store in your area that carries a good food

the type of places you are going to find quality dog food are feed stores, "mom and pop" pet stores, and even tractor supply stores

i feed 2 of my dogs the chicken soup for the dog lover's soul and my other 5 dogs eat Diamond Lamb and Rice and i get both of them at the local tractor supply store

our local feed store also carries both of those foods and they carry premium edge wich is a good middle of the line food

Thank you all for your tips. I definitely check out all the food. Purina One is actually the best food I found in PetSmart. Meat is first in the list and it contains brewers rice - it's different than the other Purina brands.

I did not like the Science Diet's ingredient list but I found some treats from them which are not too bad. They at least do not contain sugar.

[quote]i think the only decent brand that petsmart carries is their brand called Authority[/quote]

actually that's not a particularly great food at all. it's petsmart's private label food and frankly not something i'd recommend.

the best food petsmart carries is blue buffalo, and if that is too expensive, i'd recommend royal canin as it is much better than other mainstream foods.

mixing different kinds of food isn't a good idea either, since they are all formulated differently and contain different amounts of nutrients in different portion sizes.

innova and california natural are nice foods, and so are healthwise and karma. canidae is good, also eagle pack, pinnacle, solid gold, advanced pet diets, some avoderm formulas, and timberwolf organics, even tho their customer service totally sucks.

I found a small store not too far from us, who does _not_ sell puppies. They carry all kinds of good food, Innova, Chicken Soup, Solid Gold... :multi:

I bought a trial size Innova Evo and Chicken Soup and got quite a few samples from other brands to try. We've tried Innova so far and Simba loves it. We tried to mix it with Purina One, since we did not want to upset his stomach too much, but he would separate the two and eat only the Innova!!! :facelick:

• 3 weeks later...

linda - compared to other brands, propac and sportmix areboth fairly low quality.

i'm afraid i can't be of much help with the bento food, as there is no english ingredient list and the company may not be producing their foods to the same standard.

[quote name='TDG']linda - compared to other brands, propac and sportmix areboth fairly low quality.

i'm afraid i can't be of much help with the bento food, as there is no english ingredient list and the company may not be producing their foods to the same standard.[/quote]

Sorry, I give not right adress...
[url]http://www.versele-laga.com/Nutri/Nutrition/Pages/Products/index.jsp?fam=121[/url]

Jack is now eating Innova Evo. (My cat is on the cat Evo, as well). He loves it! He was on wellness, but he stopped eating it after a bag. Then he was on Solid Gold until the Evo came out. I went with Evo because I do eventually want to transition to a raw diet, but, living at home with the parents right now, it's not feasible. We barely have enough freezer space for our own food, let alone pet food.

On another tangent, I got sooo frustrated at work. I work at an animal hospital that "will never recommend feeding raw." And really pushed the food they carry. When I boarded my foster cat, one of the mgrs saw the Evo bag and wanted to "see me". She kind of interrogated me. Why did you choose this? Why didn't you choose Royal Canin? It looks bad if a client asks you what you feed and you don't feed what we recommend, but I'm not saying you *have* to switch.

I didn't mention that I would like to feed raw, as I know the practice owners feelings, but I told her I like that the Evo is grain free, and I want a food with high-quality, human-grade ingredients. Then she quizzed me on ingredient labels, though she had to concede, "you are more educated than most people."

I don't think the Royal Canin is a bad food, especially their new formulas for cats (they aren't sold in stores, only vet hospitals). But I feel that it's my personal business what I feed. I don't see anything wrong with raw feeding as long as the owner has done their research and is providing proper nutrition. I realize that some people won't do the proper research, and that is why I never just recommend it to ppl. And if I mention it to someone, I stress the amount of research they will need to do first.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

I give Cheech Solid Gold MMillenium. I get it at the local dog boutique. The owners are really conscious of canine nutrition and when they first opened they had a program where you could bring in your dog and they would make a food recommendation and then give you a free bag.

Cheech has really dry skin and had always had some dandruff ever since he was a baby. They said that the Solid Gold would help with the condition of his skin and coat, and it really did -- no more flakes!

I buy it in a big 33 lb. bag a couple of times a year and then store it in an airtight container. Since he's a chihuahua he doesn't go through the chow too fast.

[quote name='Jaci']If you want to feed a good food, you'll definitely want to switch from Purina (that's something I learned when I began posting here). Typically it's ingredients aren't the highest quality.

I feed Natural Choice to my three and they love it. They actually do inhale it. In fact, Emma has gotten to the point where she eats it like a prisoner, Glutaeus Maximus in the air, elbows on the floor. It's hilarious. Gunther and Alec have also mastered the art of not removing their mouths from the bowl before they are finished, or Emma gets it!

Here is a website:

[url]http://www.nutroproducts.com/[/url]

Sarah will like this, I get mine at Mills Fleet Farm, but that's only in the midwest. It's not bad as far as price either.[/quote]

2 of mine are on prescription dog food I can only get through my Vet.....IVD (Venison/Potato) 20lb./ $40 :o

Sassy is eating Nutro Natural Choice and she loves it.....I'm thinking on trying out the Nutro Ultra :wink:

nutro is quite overpriced for the (poor) quality it offers. there are many higher-end products that are made from better quality ingredients (and most importantly contain more meat protein) for the same price or even a little less.

nutro natural ultra is only marginally better but the steep price isn't justified at all. it's basically the same quality level of nutro natural choice with a few gimmicky additions. compared to the true high-end foods, it's ridiculously overpriced as well.

[quote name='TDG']nutro is quite overpriced for the (poor) quality it offers. [color=red]there are many higher-end products that are made from better quality ingredients (and most importantly contain more meat protein) for the same price or even a little less.[/color]
nutro natural ultra is only marginally better but the steep price isn't justified at all. it's basically the same quality level of nutro natural choice with a few gimmicky additions. compared to the true high-end foods, it's ridiculously overpriced as well.[/quote]

Give a list. I tried Innova EVO with my Jack and she didn't do well on it.
Loose stools. :wink:

[quote name='Debbie']Give a list. I tried Innova EVO with my Jack and she didn't do well on it. Loose stools. :wink:[/quote]

sorry, i don't do "lists" - for the precise reasons that i'm not a psychic and can't know what any particular dog will do well on, unless i can see him or her myself on a regular basis.

it's silly that people pick one brand or another just because "so-and-so" says it's one of the "top 10 dog foods" or any similarly ill conceived "in-thing" du jour to be passed around on forums and email lists.

i don't know of any instance where this does people a favor, a prime example is the [url=http://www.mordanna.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=725]list of yearly selections[/url] from the whole dog journal.

feel free to poke around my website tho, the link is in my signature below. it contains all the tools you need to determine the differences in quality. :)

:-? Well I guess if she's doing great on Nutro Natural I shouldn't change her then...... :lol:
I didn't pick Nutro because [i]"someone else told me to"[/i] :roll: ....she had been on 2 other brands before I went to Nutro Natural.
Don't criticize, instead make helpful food suggestions without sounding condescending. :wink:
And I have browsed your site, very nice. :wink:

[size=2](Notice I didn't criticize you once.) [/size]:D :wink: