Dogomania

Should shelters lie about a dogs breed?

Lucky Chaos

Just a question I was debating with my friend a few days ago. I came accross a VERY obviously purebred (or close) pit bull on petfinder, listed as a lab/heeler mix. Now it could have been a mistake, but I doubt it. So, my question is, is it right for a shelter to lie about a dogs breed to get the dog adopted? Is it better for the dog to possibly be put down because of the breed, than to lie? Or could lying about the breed cause way too much trouble, since certain breeds have certain charactoristics that owners should be aware of?

I'm with the others: full disclosure is the only way to go. Lying doesn't get anyone anywhere and this is applicable to dog breeds. Not only does is cause problems for the owner, it can cause problems for the dog as it will pay any ultimate price once the truth is discovered. There could be possible legal implications (fraud etc) stemming from this deceit as well. Furthermore, as SG said, if a shelter can lie about a dog's background, what else could they be lying about?

how bout this . . . what if there is a ban on a specific breed is it ok for shelters to bend the truth to save the dog?

several counties here in md have no pit bull rules which means any dog that is comes into a shelter and is listed as any portion pit is destroyed, period end of story. there are many ways rescues get around this and one way is obviously 'doctoring' their description of the breed or sending them to other counties :)

I dont like that shelters do that but I can see why they would. On the one hand I agree with Jess, SG, and BK but part of me has had the [i]experience[/i] first hand of how difficult it is when you do label a dog correctly. :-?

Weve labeled puppies by breeds other than pit bull when thats what it most likely was. I cant tell you how many people Ive had run at the words, "pit bull." So I can see shelters frustration with this. However, I dont think its right to decieve people. They need to know what theyre getting into.

Ive always been upfront about what breed a dog probably is but if I have one of the people "above" me say to not do it, then I have to listen. :x I dont agree with it but we have gotten more puppy adoptions that way. You all are right about the "what if"s but we havent had it happen. Id hate for anything bad to happen because of mislabeling so that why I dont do it unless I "have to" (when Im told to by other people).

We have gotten returns because someone thought a lab mix was a pit bull, but we didnt mislabel. The mom was a black lab, and we had no idea who dad was.

I always see pit bulls labeled wrong, most likely intentionally...
boxer/terrier mix
pointer/terrier mix
lab mix
mastiff mix
or labeled under AmStaff or Staffy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well theres also those times when a shelter picks up a stray thats obviasly a mix but they can only put their finger on only one of the breeds. Like say it's a Springer mix and they only know the springer for sure is it safe to put it as a Springer Spaniel mix but then tell potential adopters "Well we picked him up as a stray and we know he's a mix but the only breed we can really identify in him/her is Springer and their may possibly be a little bit of (put breed here) mixed in there somewhere"?