Dogomania

pregnant shihtzu past due date

AKelley

Hi...My female ShihTzu is pregnant. She was due on the 24th. Today is the 28th and still no pups. Her temp dropped to 98.4 2 days ago, but she has not progressed beyond that. She seems fine, great appetite. She has milk and I can feel the pups moving around. Normal discharge, nothing abnormal except for the delayed delivery.

I have called my vet and am currently waiting on him to get back to me....please, I have not experienced this before. I am trying not to panic and I keep reminding myself that her due date was calculated from the first day of breeding, but it was not the ONLY day she was bred. She bred every other day over the next 10 days or so. I guess what as me puzzled is her drop in temperature a few days ago...has anyone else experienced this?

She is 4 years old and this will be her 3rd whelp. No past complications. Beautiful, healthy pups each time.

Thanks in advance...

She has not started digging yet. She has however, been hiding in dark places to sleep.

The only thing I've done different with this pregnancy is upgraded her food. I was feeding her Nutro when she was pregnant before. After a ton of research, I've switched all of our dogs to Innova, and she is currently eating Innova puppy.

Okay, I just got off the phone with my vet. I feel a ton better....the thing that had me concerned was the temp dropping and still no labor.

I am breeding on a very small scale and only have 2 breeding females. I don't think I will do the temp chart anymore.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. I was near panic mode. My vet and I have a great relationship but he recently relocated to Hilton Head. I haven't decided which local vet I will be using as of yet, but I am lucky to have the cell number of my vet that moved. He was good enough to call me back, regardless of the distance.

Thanks again....expecting pups soon.