Dogomania

Seziures

HuggyBear

• 2 weeks later...

I see this is an old post, but since I am new I thought I would share my experience. I had an older dog, about 5 years, with diabetise taking injections 2 times a day. she began having seizures about a year after being diagnosed. they were quite scarey to watch, she would wobble around and run into things. they would last several minutes. my vet did not prescribe any meds. he said if she started having more than 4 (I think) a month he would look into it. She was having them a couple times a week, but he never did put her on meds. She quit having them almost as fast as they started?? It was approx. 4 months that they lasted.
Is your dog having them?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I "had" a service dog that had to be retired because he started having Grand Mal seizures. The first one was on New Years Eve scared me to death. When you have a 120 pound German Shepherd that doesn't know you it can be dangerous. He also was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism which was a contributing factor. Some breeds are just more pre-desposed to having seizures. With Max we put him on Phenobarbitol which didn't control them, then we added Potassium Bromide. The problem with seizures if they aren't controlled quickly the dogs brain will only continue to miss fire more frequently. Max started having Grand Mal seizures two to three times a day and at least twice a week. When they have repeated seizures in the same day its called railroad tracking. This happend to Max, I had to rush him to the vet, she gave him a shot of valium to break the cycle, he died in my arms. I'll never forget that. We did a necropsey to see what was going on and the vet discovered a small tumor on the pituary gland. We also discovered he had an enlarged heart. One thing to remember if a dog is seizing. DO NOT! Put your hand near their mouth, its a good way to get bit. A dog due their anatomy can not swallow it's tongue its best to just let nature take it's course and move anything awayf from the dog that could hurt them. Good Luck.