Dogomania

I'm thinking of taking Pooh Bear to obedience classes

JackieMaya

Normally Pooh Bear is very well behaved, listens to me very well, walks great on the leash, will come when I call him, etc.

BUT...

when he's really focused on those damn squirrels, he gets mommie-deaf, and I have to walk all the way up to where he is before he'll listen to me or come up to me.

I think that by taking him to obedience classes where he has other distractions (i.e. other dogs, people, etc.), that maybe he'll learn to start focusing on me instead of the distractions. And maybe I'll be able to get his attention on me instead of the damn squirrels! Maybe they can have some squirrels in the area during the training sessions. LOL! Really, his only bad habit now is his fascination with the squirrels (which brings on the barking).

I'm going to check out the class schedules at Petsmart and see if they have any that would fit into my weird schedule.

It can only help if not solve the problem!

Our nemesis is bunnies. Same thing, really good otherwise but when he sees the rabbit FORGET it!

Also he saw a horned lizard this weekend, and touched his nose to it before hubby told him "Off" ... then he seemed to listen, but when we took off on bikes again he had to go sniff it one more time. :roll: Luckily I think the lizard's armor prevented bud from eating it :o

[quote name='ESSlover']At our OB class there was a bunny that they'd bring in and you'd have to get you're dog to sit/down/stay and stuff. Carse didnt do too well on that part. :o Talk about tunnel vision..[/quote]

That is EXACTLY the kind of training we need!!

Of course we
ll be there for 10 hours getting it right :lol:

I just checked out the Petsmart dog training site, and this is what their Advanced Class is:

[b]Advanced Learning[/b]
Focus on keeping your dog's attention despite distractions, plus learn more advanced behaviors while continuing to strengthen your bond. Key topics covered include:
-Brief review of basic cues
-Advanced cues such as "stay" from a distance
-Learning despite distractions
-Relationship-forming games and play
-Additional language ("heel", "stand" and more)

This class looks like it would be just what Pooh Bear and I need! Kewl! But it didn't say anything about bunnies in it! :roll:

OR . . . . you could join me in my quest to eradicate the world of small to medium fuzzy vermin :evilbat:

classes and attention work would do good -- just remember to start small and slow -- you can't immediately bring in the bunnies.

in carse's case the bunny was such a distraction that he wouldn't do anything except obsess. we eventually put up a curtain to inhibit his view and he just stared in eggbert's general direction. that's an example of too much too fast -- he just wasn't ready to go all out bunny :o