Dogomania

Anyone have some dog treat recipes??

AussieMom

With Christmas and Chanuka a little over 4 months away (I start planning early), I thought that I'd start a thread asking people to share any recipes they have for home-made treats that their dogs love. This will give us a bit of time to find any exotic ingredients we might need and maybe even do some of our "baking" early. (To say nothing of testing the treats out.)

If this is a repeat from someone else a while back, please ignore it and point me in the direction of the other posts.

Guest Anonymous

I cut hotdogs in to little thin slices and put it in a food dehydrator for few hours.
This is very easy and cheap treats to make and they love it. They like it better then any baked treat I ever tried and it last for weeks with out refrigeration.

I used to make this for Cosmic & his friends:

[b]Cosmic's Garlicky Cheese Cookies[/b]

Ingredients:
1 cup oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup milled flaxseed (for texture & fragrance)
1/3 cup flaxseed (also for texture & fragrance)
1/2 block of cheddar or any hard cheese (grated)
1 tblspn of butter or margarine
Enough milk to moisten

Mix the whole lot up. Cut with nice cookie cutters, bake till golden brown & serve! :D

Substituting the cheese with 2 tblspns of vegemite or marmite & 1 tblspn of BBQ sauce also makes a bice BBQ flavoured variation.

Honey & dried fruits (no raisins!) also work just as well.

Tried apples & carrots (grated), which weren't received with as much enthusiasm. :roll:

Another simple treat:

[b]Beef Liver Pieces[/b]

Freeze a chunk of beef liver.

When frozen, remove from freezer and let thaw VERY SLIGHTLY. (5-10mins?) Slice with a sharp knife into very very thin slices (2mm). Lay a single layer on a baking sheet & bake slowly until dried. Lasts about a week or 2. The dogs LOVE this stuff. :o

OOh! This makes for a very pretty dish at a doggy party! :D It's done sort of chinese style (sorta like the meat stuffing in wantons):

[b] Meatball covered Eggs

Ingredients: [/b]
- 10 hardboiled eggs

(A)
- 600-800 grams of minced pork
- 15 water chestnuts (skinned & minced) - [i]*(not sure if this is available in the US, it's what gives the meat in wanton it's lovely 'bite' and texture. This ingredient can be replaced by a small handful of minced turnip or removed altogether.)[/i]
- 10-15 sweet beans (or a small stem of broccoli), minced
- 1 small carrot, grated

To bind (B):
- 2 tblspns corn flour
- one raw egg

Seasoning (C):
- I tblspn sesame oil (olive oil will do just as well, sesame oil imparts a lovely fragrance though.)
- small dash of soy sauce
- pepper

[b]Method[/b]

Mix ingredients A,B and C to form a minced meat paste.
Grab a small handful of meat, pat into roundish circle of sorts. Place hardboiled egg in centre and [i]wrap the meat around the egg, covering it completely.[/i] [b]Try to pack about 1-2cm of meat around each egg.[/b]

When you have 10 nicely wrapped meatballs, steam the whole lot!

Once it's cooked, let cool. If there's fluid in the dish that the meatballs are in, remove the meatballs gently.

Just before the party, cut each meatball in half to expose the egg encased in the meat! It'll look very very pretty. 8) Expects lots of ooohs and ahhhhs. :lol: Actually, most of my meatballs were eaten by the humans. :roll: BAD parents! :evil: