Dogomania

Aggresive Labs!

Sharpeigirl

I was at the vets office today with Sassy. And a guy comes in, and tells the clerk, he can't bring his dogs into the building until the other dogs are out of sight. I'm thinking okay, maybe it's a large dog, like a GSD/Mastiff Something that doesn't like other dogs. To my shock he say's, they're 2 spayed female labs!! I just went for a urine sample so I decided to take Sassy back to the car, well there outside the door were the pair of labs! Sassy wears a muzzle at the vets office. I take it off once we get in the car. Well I wish I would've taken it off a bit sooner. One of the labs lunges for Sassy, and I don't think I've ever moved that fast before. I pulled Sassy away as fast as I could. Thank god I got her away before she got bit. Another client comes out behind me with a large intact male boxer. Same result the lab goes for this dog as well. I have a problem with that. I swear he could invest in a soild & sturdy muzzle for his dogs. Never have I seen that kind of aggersion from a lab in my life!! :o SHocking.

[quote name='Sharpeigirl']I'm thinking okay, maybe it's a large dog, like a GSD/Mastiff Something that doesn't like other dogs. To my shock he say's, they're 2 spayed female labs!![/quote]

And thats exactly how stereotypes are formed. :wink: I've seen WAY more aggressive labs in my life then I have GSDs or pitties. Glad to hear Sassy was ok though!!

yep there are loads of aggressive labs and retrievers out there. The perfect family pet has been so overly bred to match its stereotypical image with demand, that careless breeding occurs and the genetics are not even considered. Its all about money and I can honestly say the past lot of years Ive seen more aggressive Labs than any other dogs that have a reputation like Rotties, GSD's etc.

Sassy is so submisive to strange dogs. But you never know what might of happened if she might of seen the dog as going for me. Plus it would've been 2 to 1 :-? Funny thing is the one dog was the Mom, and the other was the daughter. So I guess Mom passed the aggersion to daugther. I need to get a pic of Sassy's muzzle! Makes her look like Hanniabl Lector, but it works wonders as to her behivor around the vets.

[quote name='Sharpeigirl']Serriously I was not excpecting a lab. I wasn't stereotypeing at all, just useing a breed as an example. I have a GSD, so I know they're not aggressive.[/quote]

thats still stereotyping....you stereotype that labs wouldnt be agressive and stereotype that some other large mastiff dog or whatever would be.
maybe you dont mean to but that's still stereotyping but most people stereotype without even realizing they are doing so.

your story reminds me that i need to get Eli a muzzle though for whenever he has to go to the vet :)

Just curious. You heard the guy say to the people in the office that his dogs are dog aggressive and he can’t bring them in till the other dogs are out of sight. If you knew this how/why did Sassy get close enough to them to be lunged at?

Instead of walking out past the dogs – since you heard him say he can’t bring them in just yet. Why didn’t you show some courtesy in return. You could have waited half a minute and said something to the guy like – “excuse me, I heard you say your dogs don’t like other dogs but I need to leave. How are we best to handle this so my dog doesn’t get in their faces – do you want to move them back a bit while I take mine out”.

Not hard too I don’t think. The poor guy probably has a hard enough time taking them to the vet as it is, without others being judgmental and not really helping the situation.

[quote name='JackieMaya']With Labs and Goldens, unfortunately many ignorant people think that they're born already trained, so they don't need to do anything with the dog. Would that be a reverse stereotype? "Labs are always friendly and smart so I don't need to do any training." GRRR![/quote]

and therin lies the whole problem. yes, AS A GENERAL RULE, Labs and Goldens are gentle souls, wanting only to please...however, they NEED someone to please, i.e. an Alpha in their lives. without one, they go the same path as any other dog. No Alpha to answer to, they become Alpha.......

and then dangerous. these are BIG dogs.....they can do quite alot of damage if given the oppotunity....

i don't feel sorry for the Lab owner a bit, sorry but that dumb turd-sucker deserves every lick of trouble and inconvienience those dogs cause him. Because it's his own damn fault any way you want to put it. He could have made sure he aquired dogs with parents who had sound temperments and conformation, and failing that he obviously didn't recognize a serious temperment issue and implement the proper training. Maybe the dogs were of sound parenting, but this guy failed horribly in basic training and socialization. Or he could have adopted the dogs who may have come from a bad environment and their aggresion isn't his fault, he still could have bought a couple of muzzles.

Now, I'm not saying that it's unacceptable to have dog-aggressive dogs (nevermind the fact that these were Labs), these things happen sometimes, even to the best of dogs. But you do definately have to be in control of them, which this guy sounds like he doesn't have.

for me its not such a shock to hear about aggressive labs. my grandmothers neighbor owns a lab as a gard dog :-? , and belive me its not a dog i would walk near when he is on the lose.
i once trained a lab purebreed with pappers and everything,all his ansestors are chempions and he at 6 month old bited a whole chank out off his owners belly, he was so agreesive you couldnt evem pet him :-?

Here's how it happened. The vet was ready for the dogs, and I was on my way out the door when they where on the way in.. An error in judgement on my part I know. Next time I would've moved to the other side of the room or gone out a differant door. In fact I heard the clerk ask the guy to come in the other door, away from the other dogs.. But he came in the main door. So I don't know, maybe it was my fault :-?

[quote name='ESSlover'][quote name='Sharpeigirl']I'm thinking okay, maybe it's a large dog, like a GSD/Mastiff Something that doesn't like other dogs. To my shock he say's, they're 2 spayed female labs!![/quote]

And thats exactly how stereotypes are formed. :wink: [color=red][b]I've seen WAY more aggressive labs in my life then I have GSDs or pitties. [/b][/color]Glad to hear Sassy was ok though!![/quote]

That hasn't been my experience......I don't think I've ever met a Lab that wasn't friendly...but hey, that's just my own experience. :wink:
I'm sure there are just as many unsocialized and aggressive dogs in every breed. Just depends on the dog/people raising them.

There are several that live near me. A woman in the neighborhood insists on breeding her two labs together, who both have major aggression issues towards people and other animals. Both have repeatedly bitten people.

My dog was almost killed by one of her lab's offspring. That said dog has sent several others to the hospital and bitten several people badly. The rest of the offspring that I know also have serious problems with attacking people and dogs. One has gone through a window to get at a dog walking by.

I know that any breed can be aggressive and that an owner can increase/decrease aggression in a dog through training or lack of, but this "family" of labs leaves a bad taste in my mouth about them.

Partly these dogs suffer from lack of responsible owners.

[quote=Austin's Mom]There are several that live near me. A woman in the neighborhood insists on breeding her two labs together, who both have major aggression issues towards people and other animals. Both have repeatedly bitten people.

My dog was almost killed by one of her lab's offspring. That said dog has sent several others to the hospital and bitten several people badly. The rest of the offspring that I know also have serious problems with attacking people and dogs. One has gone through a window to get at a dog walking by.

I know that any breed can be aggressive and that an owner can increase/decrease aggression in a dog through training or lack of, but this "family" of labs leaves a bad taste in my mouth about them.

Partly these dogs suffer from lack of responsible owners.[/quote]

Great post! Sorry you have to deal with this scum in your neighborhood. :(