Dogomania

Probiotics

BuddysMom

I just saw in another post, TDG menitoning probiotic supplements. Has anyone else given their dog probiotics? If so what kind?

My company makes a really great one for people, microencapsulated bifidophilus (bifidobacterium longum) 2 billion plus l-acidophilus and l-faecalis 1 million total. I was wondering if it would do my dog as much good as it does me. I could lessen the dose.

Any advice?

human products are fine. :) personally i use NOW brand's acidophilus powder.

dogs have a higher metabolism and a shorter digestive tract, so giving a full human dose 3-4 times a week works well.

i'd stay away from most products especially made for pets, since they generally contain ridiculously low amounts of CFU. if it isn't at least a billion per serving, it's not worth buying.

• 3 years later...

Yes, I agree that I would just use a human probiotic. If you take one yourself, just giving some of that to your dog would be fine. I like the Kal Acidophilus Probiotic, and this comes in capsule form, which would be easy to break open and put on the dog food. Personally, I tend to think probiotics are only necessary when a dog is having some stomach upset for a short period of time as opposed to being necessary on a daily basis. But I can't see that it would hurt either. Just a little more costly (although I get mine at seacoastvitamins.com, which helps keep the cost done some).