Dogomania

Updated Dog Breed Index

Canis erectus

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Canis erectus']
Rowie, you might be interested in doing the Sloughi as well since they are very similiar. I'm not sure what the popular opinion is anymore regarding whether or not they ARE the short-coated variety of Saluki, or if they are a diffrent breed altogether. You also may want to look at the Caravan Hound (if it's worth doing), it's very similar to the Saluki, and is probably in fact only a regional variety of that breed.[/quote]
Hey Canis. I took your advice and researched the Sloughi a bit more, and found this :
[quote][b]The Saluki and Sloughi compared. [/b]
These results reveal that the Sloughi breed is not integrated in the Saluki’s gene pool, therefore cannot be derived from the Middle Eastern Hounds brought by the Arabs when they invaded North Africa some 1300 years ago. If this happened, it was of such a minor scale that it had virtually no impact on the maternal lines of the Sloughis of this study. In fact, the three distinct maternal lines of the Sloughi suggest that those maternal lines might have been geographically isolated in Africa for several thousand years. If combined with the shared sequence with the Basenji and other African breeds, up to 67% of the female population of the Sloughi might have been in North Africa for a very long time. [/quote]
[url]From: http://sloughi.tripod.com/SFAA/MitochondrialDNA.html[/url]
So basically, DNA research has shown that the Sloughi and Saluki are two different breeds. I'll research both.
I'm looking into the Caravan Hound as we speak. :wink:
Thought I should mention, I'm going to Australia on Friday and won't be back for three weeks. Is that a problem? I won't be able to research during that time.

Guest Anonymous

Of course I'll take on the APBT, who am I working with??
I dont like the "mastiff-type" stuff on there though. They arent mastiff types, but I dont think we should add that when we do the site.

Also, I think we should not only write up what we have researched on the breed but have a section where we can write our experiences with the breeds. Maybe a little heading... "life with an (insert your breed here)". It will make the site more personable and let people know we know what we know from experience.

Courtnek I put you down for the American and English Foxhound unless you tell me otherwise.

I think adding personal experiences is a great idea. Maybe we out to include that as part of the history/description field instead of giving it it's own field as between even all of us, we can't say that we've owned or worked with each of these breeds. It's also worth noting that we should probably be very careful when writing about individual dogs that are atypical of the breed, as such information could prove misleading to the uneducated.

And that led me to another idea that we should look into... but... uhhh... I don't know what that is because I forgot the idea between thinking it up and writing that last paraagraph. :oops: Oh well, it may yet come back to me. Maybe next week.

I don't think anyone has 'officially' been chosen for anything (though I did nominate Mei- Mei as head admin). Sorry, I do get really enthusiastic sometimes, for right now I'm just trying to make some sort of temporary order where we don't have any yet. Also when I come across something that interests alot, I tend to hound after it.

ESS- I put you down for the Clumber, as well as the English and American Cockers, as well as the Field Spaniel. All of those spaniels have an inter-related history.

one thing i would like to add, some of the breeds on your original list are pretty obscure, at least in the u.s., or outside of their country of origin, and some, like the maremma, really should not be kept as a pet. should they be included? i just don't know how exhaustive this is intended to be.

That's the question I pose. Do we need to weed out some of the more obscure or not quite yet developed breeds? I think there ight be a couple rare breeds that need to go, but we have to keep in mind that the internet is international, and just because a breed is rare in the US doesn't mean that someone in another country would thin kit foolish to leave out such a relatively common breed.

Another thing I was keeping in mind is that when I'm looking at a breed index I like to see a large list of breed names. I'll skip right past any web site that only has the run of the mill AKC/UKC breeds on it.

So far, I think I've only edited out the Labradoodle and the Akbash.

I agree that the list should be as international as possible, but I think we need to figure out who the "core audience" is, as it were. Are we looking to educate Joe Average Pet Owner, people looking for working dogs, people looking for a rare breed, dog lovers looking to expand their knowledge, all of the above? Some of these dogs just aren't pets, and if they are included that needs to be underscored and exclamation-pointed...And also, our list should be accurate and in-depth, and that may limit it to what breeds we on Dogo know intimately. Which might make a pretty interesting, if not exhaustive, list.

I agree with Pyr....maybe break the list up into most common/popular, then less common/popular....then dogs who arent for the average pet owner (I didnt look up every dog type, but wolf-dogs, IMO, would fall into the"not for JPQ category)

not trying to give you more work...sorry....

:oops:

Definately all of the above I should think. In that regard we'll attract more visitors to read the information that we provide for them. I think we're going to end up with something rather unique when we're done.

On another note, I've begun to start thinking about pictures (there's nothing I love more than pictures). I guess we should start collecting those as we go along. I don't know a whole lot about internet copyrights and such, but basically we're free to use our own dogs as well as free google images for example. Am I right? That won't be enough, so will we need to contact breeders and such for permission to use their pics? I'm thinking amybe 3 or 4 good pics for each breed, unless anyone hasother ideas. That should give a good visual of different coat and color combonations for each breed. Maybe if there is anyone who doesn't feel up to doing breed research might want to start helping to collect pics.

eee. i don't know how pics work either. but using our own dogs is only a good idea if the dog is an excellent representative of the breed. sasha, for example, is not, really.
ok i will start getting some stuff written out. i will attach it to you as a word doc if that is ok.

[quote name='pyrless']Also, what should i do, write up a blurb on the Pyr and email it to you? do i need to cite sources or anything? :wink:[/quote]

That's a good idea. Maybe better yet, if you can write it out in a post so that everyone can get a look at it. That way we''ll better be able to fine tune a format that we all like.

Courtnek- I was beginning to think that we ought to catagorize breeds by type, that would better show their historical relationship to eachother. That way someone looking for a small flushing dog might look under a "Sporting Dogs" heading and see a sublist for 'Retrievers', 'Setters', 'Spaniels', and 'Pointers'. Said person would look under 'Spaniels' and get a list of all the spaniels, dogs which are similar and historically bred for a similar purpose.
Maybe we should put all the 'not pet' breeds into some sort of working breed catagory. The only problem I see with that, is that whether or not a breed should be kept as a 'pet' is entirely subjective. For example: I beleive Border Collies should not be kept as pets, but I know that there are thousands of people who will fully disagree with that statement. I guess my basic thought is that we should try to keep things organized and easy to find.

I'm not sure what is the best way to do it. I did really like my idea of having a [b]best type of home for this breed[/b] section under the breed description, maybe right at the top of the page- in great big moly letters. Hey that's another idea: A great honkin' warning for the 'non pet' breeds right where you can't miss it. Something like "Warning: this breed is not for average households or inexperienced dog owners"- or somethinh along those lines.