Dogomania

Updated Dog Breed Index

Canis erectus

[quote name='courtnek']I agree with Pyr....maybe break the list up into most common/popular, then less common/popular....then dogs who arent for the average pet owner (I didnt look up every dog type, but wolf-dogs, IMO, would fall into the"not for JPQ category)
[/quote]

Maybe omit the "average pet owner" idea... If you think about it, many average pet owners probably couldn't handle a lab, if poms were what they were used to and they were unprepared for a large breed dog. Common/popular is something that could be researched, but what dogs are good for what type of owners comes down to opinion too much of the time, and how you define the "average pet owner." If you want to add something about a dog's care level, it might be best to say something like "not [i]reccomended[/i] for beginners." I'm worried that if things end up being grouped into "average pet owner dogs" and "non-average pet owner dogs," it could give some people an automatic sense that a breed listed would be [b]easy[/b] to keep (if it was listed as "for the average pet owner"), if in reality, that breed not be right for them at all. There are too many levels of "average" unfortunately.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seij is righht.

We just have to warn about things like high energy, high prey drive, dog aggression, aloofness, lots of grooming required, high intelligence, etc.

I personally think that after the main breed info we should have input from people here about the breed as well as suggestions for the type of people to stay away from it.

Right on all counts.
Before we get too deeply into this, I would like to point out that there are some excellent sites out there, mostly the American breed clubs', that have the basic info on these breeds, like the origin and standards. To make this one stand out, it might be worth it to make it a more subjective site detailing our own experiences with owning our breeds. I don't really think I can top anything that the GPCA or the RACP has to say about the Pyr, for example.

I'm easy (NOT cheap though) :lol: :lol: :lol: I can go with all of that. I agree that blurbs for"first time owners" is a good idea. too many people buy/adopt dogs by the "cuteness factor" and dont realize what they're getting into. I liked the idea of "before you adopt this dog, know this"

8)

[quote name='courtnek']I'm easy (NOT cheap though) :lol: :lol: :lol: I can go with all of that. I agree that blurbs for"first time owners" is a good idea. too many people buy/adopt dogs by the "cuteness factor" and dont realize what they're getting into. I liked the idea of "before you adopt this dog, know this"

8)[/quote]

Oh yeah, this just reminded me of something I thought about earlier but forgot about until now. With regards to pics, I think we should definately stay away from puppy pictures of any kind, for the simple fact of avoiding people being hooked on a breed due to the cuteness factor. Just a thought.

I was looking stuff up about the differences between American and English Foxhound....found these:

Feet--Fox-like. Pad full and hard. Well-arched toes. Strong nails

STRONG???? her nails are WROUGHT IRON...I had to buy a special clipper just to trim them!!!

Hips and thighs, strong and muscled, giving abundance of propelling power....propelling power? how about this?

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a15/kcourt/fast.jpg[/img]

she looks QUITE propelled to me.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

she's an American Foxhound, by the way...

8)