Dogomania

hi all & responses

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

pretty driven to have this site be accurate and to save dogs. such a dumb reason for the euthanization of 8-10 million alone in the US--'lifestyle change'! would love to chat but got alot of work to do...

yes I keep coming back. (more often than 3 months I hope)

most insights if defended by research is adjusted if incorrect.
it would be most gratefully appreciated if comments were accompanied by authority citations, whether web or book, thanks

also added a list of worldwide kennel associations on its own page for easy access to research

lab origin: [url]http://www.nzkc.org.nz/br324.html[/url]

what about the newfie?

apbt and staff sources: akc, ukc, ckc, arba.

poodle origin: point of contention between germany and france. more sources list france.

Deb, could you pls repost your point of contention about the JRT?
There are a few breeds where there is alot of conflicting research.
One top JRT breeder even told me they think the AKC has the Parson info incorrect.

did make adjustments to past head's up. if I missed anything my apology, please repost.

really appreciate everyones help. dogs lives are at issue here.
jilld

Guest Anonymous

might you kindly disclose your citations? thanks. yours drools and sheds alot? the fci lists canada as the origin. as for health information, that is in the works.
"they helped their fishermen owners with their heavy nets and performed other tasks necessary to their occupations"..from the AKC

Guest Anonymous

breed clubs, but which? American or other countries?
the AKC breed club? how about CKC, country of origin?
what do you suggest?

Guest Anonymous

but these are the same breed clubs that have give their info to the AKC. if the AKC doesn't use their info where do they get it from? the AKC lists the Newfoundland Club of America as their source of information. how would they differ? why would they not be accurate?
Many times information varies from the worldwide standard to the American Standard.
Take the Coton de Tulear. I got to speak with one of the utmost authorities who explained anything other than a slight shade of color on the tips of the ears is disqualified by worldwide standards but in the US that is fine, even though US has no claim to the original standard.
So, I always include the information from the top breed clubs of country of origin. Even they can differ so stats are accumulated and analyzed.

Guest Anonymous

can you believe it has been very hard to get a shot of a finnish spitz?
I finally came across one and just put it up. nice dog!

Guest Anonymous

privacy reasons? if you have a fine example of the breed would you not want to allow people to become acquainted with what they should look like?

Guest Anonymous

I would just like to inform you the info you might get from the AKC involving APBTs might not be very accurate as they dont even recognize the breed. Maybe you should check out the ADBA website.
AmStaffs were derived from APBTs but are not, and have not been bred for fighting. They are the AKCs show version of the APBT. They are usually broader, shorter and heavier than APBTs. Also, they are WONDERFUL around children. You might also check out the American Temperment Test web site. Not sure about the address but doing a search will bring them up.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you for your info. The 'bully' breeds seem to be the most difficult to gather accurate info. There is so much stereotyping on one end and as a result sometimes too much defense on their behalf that it is difficult to find a middle ground of accuracy. Thanks for putting me onto the ADBA site. I will do some research there.

[url]http://www.amstaff.org/breedinfo.html#history[/url] explains that AmStaffs were used for fighting."A number of the early ancestors were also developed for the "sport" of dog fighting."
jilld

Hi there, I'm going to chime in as well. I was perusing the Borzoi page and noticed a few mis-facts.

-Height Standard: What you have listed are commonly minimum height requirments for females and males respectively. I believe that most clubs do not list a max height requiremnt as I has seen some truelu monsterous sized males.

-Your origination description can be a little misleading. It can make it sound like Borzoi are basically a crossbreed of Sloughi and Collie. There were once several (maybe seven?) distinct types, or bloodlines of Borzoi, but almost all of them were wiped out along with the Russian aristocracy, as well as breeding ledgers and other important documents. I think it's supposed that Borzoi originated from either Sloughi or Afghans, or at least had common ancestory. Now regarding Collies, in actuality it was Borzoi that were bred to what we know now as Farm or Irish Collies in order to make a larger and more impressive show dog.

Guest Anonymous

[quote][url]http://www.amstaff.org/breedinfo.html#history[/url] explains that AmStaffs were used for fighting."A number of the early ancestors were also developed for the "sport" of dog fighting."[/quote]

Yes, well, their "early" ancestors were APBTs. The AmStaff itself is/has been bred for show.

[quote name='jilld']Deb, could you pls repost your point of contention about the JRT?
There are a few breeds where there is alot of conflicting research.
One top JRT breeder even told me they think the AKC has the Parson info incorrect.

did make adjustments to past head's up. if I missed anything my apology, please repost.

really appreciate everyones help. dogs lives are at issue here.
jilld[/quote]

jilld, I don't have the link to your site anymore. If you want me to comment you'll have to repost so I can look over the information you have currently on the JRT.

ok. jilld, i mentioned this before but I will say it again. A Pyr should never ever be aggressive towards people. You should really say "dog-aggressive", especially same-sex dogs. I also mentioned that the Pyr does not need room to run, he needs room to patrol. A city yard is fine, but you should distinguishe between city-living and apartment-dwelling. He only eats about 4 cups a day as his metabolism is slow. People often overestimate the weight because of the abundant coat, and should always ALWAYS be weighed before getting any kind of medication, but especially anasthesia. The pet Pyr should not have an outdoor lifestyle. A Pyr needs a flock, and if he is not an LGD his family is his flock and he needs to live indoors with them. Also the Pyr is not a "cross", it is a pure breed developed along the same lines as the other LGDs you mentioned.
The Elkhound should be silver, not gray. Not to split hairs, but "Elkhound" is a misnomer, they were bred to hunt moose ("elg" in norwegian) and bear. And retrieving is definitely NOT in their MO! :wink:
Anyway. I appreciate what you are trying to do.

Your Pembroke Welsh Corgi description is pretty misleading. But I've just deleted everything I was going to tell you about it because

1. I already told you once, and you ignored it

2. Why should we do your research? When I'm writing something, I do my own (careful!) research.

I appreciate the fact that your website must be a huge undertaking, and that you've come back several times for advice, but if I were you I'd offer a few $$$ to experts in each breed to correct your pages. Why add to the deluge of false information that's already out there on the internet?

Guest Anonymous

Maybe we should all put our own info together and build an informative sight. I think it would do a lot more good....

Guest Anonymous

My thoughts exactly Newfie.... I think all of our heads together would be a great source and a much more accurate one. We are all so damn smart!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Heck yeah... And with all the research everyone has done not only on their own breeds but others it could end up being a very good site. We could also have a list of shelters in everyones area...

[quote]We are a smart bunch, aren't we?[/quote]
The smartest Ive seen yet!!

Guest Anonymous

thank you kindly for the insights. i will research the info and keep you updated. you help is greatly appreciated,
jilld

Guest Anonymous

I'm sorry I can't recall what was unfavorable to you about the JRT page. If you could kindly let me know it would be greatly appreciated. I really want the site to be accurate and each breed presented in the truest light.
jilld