Dogomania

Can someone help me

dogdilema

I have a problem and I really don't know what to do about it.
I have a dog- he's a lab/ border collie mix. I got him from the pound when he was 7 weeks old he is now 2. He does what I have come to know as "Fear bite." He is quite timid around most people.
I have a 19 year old daughter who just moved in about 3 weeks ago.
Her and the dog do not get along. I feel that it is mainly her fault because she insists on being mean to him.
The other evening, she had been yelling at him and shaking a stick at him. He bit the stick and broke it two different times. Then she poked him with a pen. He bit her. He broke the skin, but it wasn't real bad.
She went into the kitchen and got a meat cleaver. I tried to stop her, and the dog jumped up on her to calm her down because we were both screaming at this point. She then hit him with the meat cleaver and split his head open. I took him to the emergency vet and they stitched him up. He is fine, but my daughter is thinking of moving out. I don't want to lose my daughter, and I don't want to get rid of my dog either. I love him like a child. I really don't know what to do. They can't live in the same house, because the dog has started growling at my daughter if she gets too near. I was thinking of baording him until my daughter moves out. Any suggestions? Am I being selfish by not getting rid of the dog?

I don't think your dog is doing anything wrong. Your daughter on the other hand... sorry but her behaviour is outragous, abusive, and immature. If any relative of mine hit my dog and injured him so he had to go to the vet and be STITCHED up, that relative would be out the door the second I got home with my dog.
I realize you don't want to lose your daughter, but IMO opinion her behaviour is just unexcuseable. The dog is defending itself, reacting naturally. Why can't your daughter just ignore him?

I missed the last part of your post where you said he growls at her when she comes close now. Personally I don't blame him. :-?
Boarding the dog until she moves out could probably work. (Depending on how long that's for.) But I think the daughter definitely needs to leave, not the dog. The dog hasn't done anything wrong and it would be totally unfair to dump him at a shelter just because she can't control herself. :-?

Holy crap! Did you tell the vet what happened? You'll be lucky if they don't send the humane society out to investigate. First off your daughter needs to know she could be charged for such an action. Second she needs to know this is your house and your dog and she will respect that. Third your dog needs to see a behaviourist unless you are very very good with dog training and behaviours. (These sorts of behaviours become habits/patterns very quickly.) However, the sort of behaviours your dog is expressing cannot be properly addressed while he is living in a stressful situation.

You are not wrong for taking your commitment to this pet seriously.

Boarding might be a short-term option for the dog but I shudder to think of what lesson this will teach your daughter.

Politely telling your daughter that you don't think this living situation is right for anyone involved and then helping her look for a great new place might work. I don't think you could trust her alone with the dog even if she said she'd change but that's just me.

Letting your daughter stay but insisting on therapy for her as a condition might work. She seems to not be able to control her anger and acts out of petty irritation with no concern for the effects on her target or your relationship or your feelings. Sending your dog to a trusted friend to stay while your daughter is in therapy might work, boarding could too but not for a long period of time.

If I were you, I would be very afraid of your daughter. She has a serious anger problem that escalates to violence. I would have called the police on her if she had done that to my dog, even if she was my daughter. I think you should insist that your daughter move out immediately, both for your dog's safety and for yours. She's 19 years old; she should be able to live on her own. She also needs to get some professional help. If she can do this do a dog, she can do it to a person too.

[quote name='pwrpufgirlz']this seriously smells like a troll to me. In any case, your daughter needs to go to jail. She is committing animal cruelty in all sense of the word and the fact that you truly let her get away with this is only going to injure you and the dog in the long run.

anyone who threatens a dog and then acts on it, with a meat cleaver is fucked in the head. your daughter is a nutjob.[/quote]

You know, I thought it sounded like a troll too, but nobody else seemed to think so, so I gave her the benefit of the doubt.

• 3 years later...

sure i will help you ... pick up the phone, call the police and tell them you want to have your spoiled rotten brat of a daughet arrested for animal cruelty
hitting a dog with a meat cleaver... are you kidding me that is the stuff serial killers are made of.
your daughter deserves to be locked up...
you say she is thinking of moving out.. why the hell arent you kicking her out

That was way way mean. Well mean is really an understatement. That was just unacceptable!!! Hitting the dog with a meat cleaver??? The dog did not do anything wrong. It is normal for him to bark since he was threatened. How in the world did you allow that meat cleaver to hit the head of your dog. Your daughter has really some serious problem. If you do not do anything about your daughter, who knows what worse things she can do to your dog. Tsktsktsk