Dogomania

"Unpredictable" malamutes?

Seijun

Why is it that I keep hearing people say that malamutes are "unpredictable?" This is new for me--although I have never known any mals personally, I know plenty of people who do have this breed and they are all wonderful dogs by what they tell me.

~Seij

Malamutes are a working breed.
Malamutes look like big teddy bear dogs.
People are likely breeding the biggest, teddybearest Mals they can and selling them for loads of money as "X-large Malamutes" to people who aren't prepared for a working breed, even one that is normally so sweet, freindly and laidback as a Malamute.

I remember seeing Malamutes on a top 10 bite list somewhere a couple years ago. It's been my experience with husky breeds that they can be somewhat unpredictable, they seem to more readily fall into pack and predatory behavior than many other breeds, and I've seen many who are cool with strangers. Those opinions aside, I also think that Malamutes are easily the most steady and reliable of the huskies, though still rather hard-headed.

Just like any other breed there's lots of 'bad' Malamutes. Since they are the largest of the husky types, Malamutes are the next macho-est thing to having a wolf or wolf/dog, and so get bred indescriminatley. I've noticed that the 'bad' ones have long muzzles and narrower heads, probably because they've got many other random sptiz dogs in their ancestry.

Mals have a pretty bad reputation in mushing circles for being "alligators", which are dogs that will snap at another team when passing or being passed. Unfortunately, I've encountered this behavior a couple of times in races, (as well as very well behaved Mals). I think that the problem arises when they are not properly conditioned and trained to accept the human/musher as the Alpha dog- not a breed for the timid. Some of my guys have up to half Mal and a couple have tried to be alligators, but they were trained early on that this was not acceptable behavior.

[quote name='Canis erectus']Malamutes are the next macho-est thing to having a wolf or wolf/dog, and so get bred indescriminatley. [/quote]
i am not laughing at you here canis, but i think it is funny that so many people think wolves and wolf-dogs are "macho" when in the wild they are so scared of us!
that said, i have met a lot of mals and while i would call them somewhat "aloof" i wouldn't say unpredictable. You just gotta know your dog.

[quote name='pyrless'][quote name='Canis erectus']Malamutes are the next macho-est thing to having a wolf or wolf/dog, and so get bred indescriminatley. [/quote]
i am not laughing at you here canis, but i think it is funny that so many people think wolves and wolf-dogs are "macho" when in the wild they are so scared of us!
[/quote]

I am now feuling this little bit of off-topic-ness, but...
Last week my Shilo was scared off by a Box Turtle. My br[i]aaave[/i] little wolf hybrid... :wink:

~Seij

A number of years ago I had a dog named Aesa, a female Alaskan that I bought from a musher in northern Minnesota- (She died at only 6 years old of kidney failure, probably genetic :( she was a very hard working dog, with allot of greyhound in her backround, so she didn't quite "fit" with my Mal crosses... Anyway, one day I heard this terrible screaming coming from the dog yard- I ran up there and she was as far away from her house as she could get, trembling in fear, like there was something really horrible in her house. I peeked in there, and it was......
A baby rabbit. (Also scared to death.)