Dogomania

I just got my new German Shepherd pup,can i have some help?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hiya,i just got my GSD Ebony yesterday,she howled all night and..we need some help.
What is the first thing we should train her?
any tips on stopping her from howling at night?
plz,help.

First - check the training sticky in this section. It has tons of good info on the basics.

Second - Where did you put her overnight?

The first thing a teach a pup is house training and come. House training saves your house, come could save your dogs life.

For house training see the sticky but basically don't let her out of your site ever or crate/confine her somewhere safe if you have to leave her alone - see crate training in the sticky. If she can't make mistakes she won't develop bad habits. If she chews something she shouldn't - take it away and replace it with a proper chew toy. If she appears to be about to make a mess in the house - wisk her outside, stay out there till she goes and praise. You may want to do more in the house training feild but again see the sticky.

For training "come" or recall training: Take her out on a really long leash or in a secure yard with a freind. Let the other person play with her and walk away as far as possible with the lead. Call, reel her in gently if she doesn't come, give tons of praise and treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Do this in varying circumstances and locations. Try to never use "come" to get her to come for something she doesn't like or use "come" and then discipline. Use another word for those things if you must but make sure "come" is always positive and reinforce this throughout her life. This way if she ever sleeps her collar, breaks a leash or is loose and in trouble you can safely call her back. It helps for other training too.

Hi there, the first night can be the worst. I would advise you to keep her in a crate where she feels safe and secure and its also good for potty training. In her crate put in an old stuffed toy that she can snuggle up against and a rolled up pair of socks mimics the body of a litter mate and this can also be handy. Potty training would be the first form of training that you should undertake. Again this is where the crate is invaluable. Take her out at regular intervals (every 30 mins if you can) especially after she plays, eats or after she has slept. Give her a command as shes sniffing the grass (I use Hurry hurry with my pup) and repeat the command when she is actually toileting. Follow the command up with loads of praise!

For formal training you would be best to enrol in a puppy class when she has had all her vaccinations and please do not take her out for walks until she has had all her vaccines. You can teach her sit just in the gardena nd house by holding a treat above her nose and telling her to sit then when she does the sit repeat the command reward her and break off for a play. Recall again can be taught and is essential for all dogs. Using the long line as someone else said is the best way and be sure to go over board on the praise when your pup comes to followed up by a treat.