Dogomania

Just one litter

Roxy_GSD

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Sad, but a little misleading though. Pups don’t stay long in Animal shelters, in my area anyway. They usually get adopted for 2-4 x the normal adoption fees after a fierce bidding war. I know several people that after being out bided several times, they gave up on finding a pup at the shelter and came to me to buy a pure bred one with AKC reg for less then the final price they got up to at the shelter.

With adults however, that is a different story.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='norma']Sad, but a little misleading though. Pups don’t stay long in Animal shelters, in my area anyway. They usually get adopted for 2-4 x the normal adoption fees after a fierce bidding war. I know several people that after being out bided several times, they gave up on finding a pup at the shelter and came to me to buy a pure bred one with AKC reg for less then the final price they got up to at the shelter.

With adults however, that is a different story.[/quote]

i find that rather sickening that a shelter would let a puppy go to the highest bidder.

yes puppies do get adopted faster than adults but the fact is is that many many more puppies are still dying.

here at my shelter i see puppies all the time that dont get adopted and are euthanized

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP'][quote name='norma']Sad, but a little misleading though. Pups don’t stay long in Animal shelters, in my area anyway. They usually get adopted for 2-4 x the normal adoption fees after a fierce bidding war. I know several people that after being out bided several times, they gave up on finding a pup at the shelter and came to me to buy a pure bred one with AKC reg for less then the final price they got up to at the shelter.

With adults however, that is a different story.[/quote]

i find that rather sickening that a shelter would let a puppy go to the highest bidder.

yes puppies do get adopted faster than adults but the fact is is that many many more puppies are still dying.

here at my shelter i see puppies all the time that dont get adopted and are euthanized[/quote]

I agree, thats sick for your shelter to do. I'm glad my shelter is no-kill (except extremely sick/aggressive animals) but I still see puppies there, especially breeds like pits and rottweilers, even the puppies nobody wants.

You breed Norma? What breed, and why?

Guest Anonymous

I am in Los Angeles County, California. The county run shelters here have this policy. Dogs go to the highest bidder.

I breed Golden retrievers and Labrador retrievers.
As for why, I wont even try to answer that. I know better then to open that can of worms on this board.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']

It's not that hard to answer why you breed dogs, it's either for show, work or money.[/quote]

Answering is easy. I just don’t feel like defending myself against the responses that are sure to follow my answer.

Judging by Lucky Chaos's post, I already see that I’ll loose control of my mouth and say things that will result in me getting banned from this board after an out of control 5 page thread full of flames, personal attacks and name calling. Been there, done that.

As I said, I know better.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='newfiemom']
Reputable and responsible breeders are proud of their dogs and have nothing to hide. If you are a reputable and responsible breeder, I would think you would want to answer the questions.[/quote]

I believe you have the answer right in your question.

Personally I'd love it if Louisiana made breeding Labs illegal for like two years...there would still be a TON of Labs in shelters.

I asked for your dogs titles. If it were me, I would be proud and very willing to share them. I'm going to assume they don't have titles then. Feel free to correct me, I apologize if I'm wrong.

Responsible breeders only have ONE answer when asked why they breed. To better the breed. That should have been your answer, instead of getting defensive. I can only imagine why you're getting so defensive.

That was a very good slide-show but perhaps not hard hitting enough as some I have seen. Some breeder... that labrador bitch had a choke chain on and to add insult to injury it was on the wrong way and also those pups weren't even pedigree... how very sad to see such ignorance from owners.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']

It's not that hard to answer why you breed dogs, it's either for show, work or money.[/quote]
On second thought, ill answer that question.
All of the above.

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']I asked for your dogs titles. If it were me, I would be proud and very willing to share them. I'm going to assume they don't have titles then. Feel free to correct me, I apologize if I'm wrong.
[/quote]
Apology accepted. :)
Posting my dogs info will reveal my true identity. Too many AR whackos out there.

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']
Responsible breeders only have ONE answer when asked why they breed. To better the breed. [/quote]
That is your OPINION. Please do not present it as a fact.

[quote name='mouseatthebusstop']Norma would you take an 18 month dog back and rehome it yourself if the people you sold it to changed and could not or would not keep it?[/quote]
Yes.

This is exactly the responses I came to expect from this board. I didn’t even answer the question and you automatically think the worse and jump to conclusions. You know nothing about me yet you don’t let that get in the way and stop you from bashing and labeling me.
You are so predictable.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='norma'][Posting my dogs info will reveal my true identity. Too many AR whackos out there.

[/quote]

ACK K you were right...this sounds JUST the P'ness herself!

P'ness could never post her real breed, or their titles because it would reveal who she is and the wacko's of the world would come after her!

ACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

RUN FOR THE HILLS SHE IS BACK!

Oh wait...Norma hasn't started spouting that all Pit Bulls are baby killers has she?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']Now you see...someone mentioned her royal P ness the other day...I [i]TOLD [/i]you thats what brings her back...[/quote]

I'm groveling begging for forgivness. The only good thing is that P ness always outs herself. She can't control it.

If this isn't her it sure is someone LIKE her! They're multiplying! AHHHH! SHE also breeds goldens.

I doubt anyone can come after you because you say, "my dogs have show titles, tracking titles, agility titles" or whatever. I didn't ask for your name or your address. :o You breed for money, you're no better then a BYB. Its not my OPINION its the ONLY answer a responsible breeder would ever give.

Guest Anonymous

This is exactly what I was trying to avoid but oh well, if that is how you want it, that is fine with me. I just hope I won’t get carried away and get banned for voicing my opinions.

I have no idea who that pness person is. I guess I’ll have to use the search feature to see who I am being mistaken for.

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']
I doubt anyone can come after you because you say, "my dogs have show titles, tracking titles, agility titles" or whatever. I didn't ask for your name or your address.[/quote]

If that is all you asked then I misread your question. The way I read it is you wanted to know the dogs name and info.

[quote name='K']No Norma thats a fact...please dont present us with your opinions on what is factual and what isnt

Do you seriously believe the AR 'whackos' are interested in you?...and what you may or may not post on chat forum?...wow you must be one [i]impressive[/i] breeder lady...[/quote]

So, are you saying that only your opinions counts here and I am not allowed to voice my own? Keep in mind that I did not really wanted to have this discussion. I was more then willing to move on, but you people just wouldn’t let it go. I was compelled to reply.

If you ask 100 random people what is their definition of “responsible breeder" and what are their thoughts on making money on breeding you’ll get 200 different answers. That by definition is an opinion, not a fact.

And yes, I do believe that there are many whacos out there, and I am sure more then a few in here, that think they are on a mission from god to rid the world of anyone that doesn’t fit their narrow twisted definition of a “responsible breeder” and believe that the end justified the means and willing to do ANYTHING to reach their goal. Here is just one example of many. [url]http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=3352768[/url]

I am personally being harassed by at least one whaco for the last 2 years. I get monthly visits from the AC because someone keeps filing baseless false complaints about me and my mistreatment of my dogs in the hope that they'll get lucky and catch me with my pants down. The AC has no choice but to waste their valuable time and drive for an hour out of their way to get to my house just so they can make a quick walkthrough, apologize for bothering me again and leave with out as much as even a verbal warning.

Just a week ago, I took 10 8 weeks old pups to the vet for their final checkup before I start to sell them. As I was sitting in the waiting room, an older lady saw my pups, then looked at me and said in the rudest most condescending tone "So, how is your puppy mill business doing?" I felt like picking up a chair and breaking it over her head, but instead, I just looked at her, smiled and in the most pleasant cheerful way I said " Pretty good, thanks for asking." that is when her daughter (I think) grab her by her arm, mumbled something that sounded like "not again" and pulled her out of the office. I never met this "lady" before in my life. All she knew about me was that I had 10 pups in a box and this was all she needed to form an opinion of me and label me. If it was left up to some AR groups, NO ONE, for any reason, would be allowed to breed.

These are the whacos I have to deal with all the time, so you’ll have to forgive me if I am a little paranoid about my true identity on pet related forums.

As for making money on breeding, I see nothing wrong with it. If someone is looking for a great healthy family pet, and willing to pay for it, then what is wrong with providing the public with what they want? Not everyone is interested in an adult used dog, I mean a pre owned dog from a shelter that came from who knows what background, with potentially unknown genetic and temperamental problems that could burden both owner and dog for the rest of their lives and with the bad habits that may have gotten him in the shelter in the first place. Right or wrong, not everybody is ready, willing or able to deal with someone else’s problem.

I don’t understand why people always say you can't make money and still be a responsible breeder. Maybe with small breeds that have 2 pups in a litter it may be tough to do everything right and still make money, but when you have 10 pups and sell them at $500-$700 each, something must really go horribly wrong for you not to have some money left over.

Although, I no longer show my dogs or get involve in the show circuit, I do have 2 champion females and co own 2 champion males which stays with the other co owners. Most of the rest of my dogs are their direct offspring. All my dogs are tested for the usual genetic problems, get regular vet care, vaccinated, dewormed, microchiped and are in perfect health. I sell about 60% of my pups with spay/neuter contract and I try to be as selective as I can with who I sell them to. I do not sell my pups to a faceless person over the internet. The buyers must come to my house so I can talk to them in person eye to eye. I provide an unheard of 2 weeks money back guarantee for ANY reason, and 2 years guarantee for genetic/congenital defects.

There is not much more I can do to breed more responsibly then I already am. Although, I am sure some will still have plenty of problems with me and my breeding practice and feel the need to show me the error of my ways. It is ok, I understand. You can’t help it. It is in your nature. You are after all doing god’s will, so please, by all means, enlighten me.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='newfiemom']You make me sick!!! You see nothing wrong with making money off of breeding??? Do you have no morals??? My mom bred newfoundlands for over thirty years charging between $1000 to $1500 per pup and NEVER and I repeat NEVER made a profit from it. If she did, I don't think I would be repaying a student loan for nearly 15 years and my mom would not still be paying a mortgage. You are the definition of BYB. These are not opinions people are stating here. These are facts. You have made no mention of what genetic testing you do, what are titles your dogs have, how many litters you have per year, etc...all because you are afraid of AR attacks?!?! BULLSHIT!!!! You don't want to reveal your schmarmy breeding practices.[/quote]

Thank you for saying what I was thinking!