Dogomania

New sport: Bird coursing

Canis erectus

I let the dogs outside after work yesterday and there was the usual scatter of birds fleeing as the dogs bombed out into the yard. Then I noticed Zoey run up to a tree, spooking a little sparrow out which took a low flight path out across the yard. Then Zoey took off after it, it was kind of strange to see, in fact I don't think I've ever sen anything like that before. Anyway, I don't know if the little realized he was being followed because Zoey almost had him until he zoomed up over the fence.

She went after a bird again this morning, and I'm kinda wondering where this new game came from because she's never had the slightest interest in birds before (aside from our cockatoo). The only thing I can think of is that she decided that she needs something new to chase since the squirrils don't dare come into the backyard now that it's fenced. Or maybe I'm just being stupid, does anyone else's dogs chase birds on the wing? I'm going to be really unhappy when she gets one, and even more unhappy if she decides to go for Fred.

Riley, Zeke and Travis are very bird aware and will chase them even when they take flight. This can be problematic for us as we have a large pond in our yard that attracts ducks/geese and herons.

Inevitably, when we let the boys out they will bee-line for the pond, scaring off whatever birds are there, and then chase then to the fence.

Riley and Zeke are fine, they just chase, but Travis goes into full GSD Intruder mode and charges the pond barking his head off.

My Golden used to do that, run out and chase the birds and watch them fly away. he had never been hunting, but one day a cardinal flew into the window of the dining room, broke its neck and died. Taurus went ballistic at the window. I couldnt see the bird, it had fallen in the bushes under the window, so I went out with him to see what the problem was. He dived into the bush, picked up the bird, and very gently carried it over to me and laid it at my feet.

not a feather was ruffled....he would have made an excellent retriever for trials, he never hurt anything he picked up, even if it was made of plastic.

he still chased birds away, but I would find him watching out that window a lot after that.

I can't count the number of times Rowie's caught birds. She once even managed to grab one of our four chicks and kill it! :( She's a bird dog through and through, only thing is, she never knows what to do after she's caught the bird! She'll lick it, move it around (sometimes it will still be alive) then she'll just leave it alone (thus allowing me to run for the bird, grab it and bury it while Rowie isn't looking :lol:).

Clea, being a golden is a bird dog too, and has caught 2 birds since I got her thankfully both survived! She's very good with the "DROP IT!" command, I've found... She goes absolutely crazy for piegons! We'll just be walking along normally, when all of a sudden there's a violent *tug* as she tries to run after one! :roll: :lol:

Zoey's done it again this morning, a little sparrow buzzed past her and she took off after it. I'm starting to think that this isn't necassarily a predatory habit, I'm pretty sure that she could have had this one if she wanted it. Maybe it's more of just a chasing thing, and now that I think about it some more maybe Zoey thinks she playing a game with the birds. We do also have a cockatoo that she's quite fond of, maybe the yard birds are her friends.

Yeah, well I think Zoey is trying to fulfill a need to chase things. She can't really chase after China, ol' porkchop is far too slow for Zoey. So does anyone know how to build a zip line? You know, the sort they use for coursing trials?

Pooh Bear is fascinated with the birds. He barks like crazy when he sees them.

Jackie and Maya don't get excited about birds, just squirrels.

But...

One time a bird was lowering its landing gear to land in the big evergreen tree right next to the fence. Just as it was preparing to land in the tree, Jackie jumped up in the air and grabbed it in mid-flight! I was absolutely amazed. Jackie killed the bird immediately and then gave it to Maya.

Jackie is the hunter in the family. She's killed 1 bird, 2 squirrels, 2 rabbits, and a baby something.

by zip line, do you mean a runner? if so, get a steel plastic covered cable, attach it to two structures too wide for the dog to get around, then attach another steel cable with a clip ring to the line. the dog can run so far and get so far side to side(depending on the length of the leash you clip to the line) and then has to stop.

not sure if thats what you're looking for tho...

I don't know if I'm using the correct terminology. A zip line (?) is what folks use as a decoy when they run their coursing dogs. Basically a plastic bag attached to a cable that's run along a bunch of pulleys. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but I need alot of specifics. I'm going to try emailing some breed and racing clubs and see if I get a reply.

I don't really mind her chasing after birds really, but I do not want her to suddenly think it would be a pretty good idea to go for Fred and see what happens. Of course Fred doesn't fly and therefore wouldn't be any fun to chase across the house so maybe I'm just being dumb.

The yellow lab I used to have (Sandy) would always chase the birds at our lake home. One day, he was running full out while he was looking up at the birds and he ran right into the rope that was tying the canoe to the tree. He somersaulted over the rope and kept on running. LOL. It was if he had said "I meant to do that!"