Dogomania

City of Midland Should Ban Pit Bulls

Canis erectus

I wanted to post this last week, but wasn't really feeling up to the typing, so here it is now now. This article came from the editorial section of the local paper and is really really more laughable more than anything (except ignorant perhaps). Anyone who has visited Midland, MI will likely understand when I say that it's a fussy little suburb whose residents don't seem to have anything better to do than squabble over which neighborhood's sidewalks get repaired first each year while financial and unemployment issue are left unresolved. With that said I present:

CITY OF MIDLAND SHOULD BAN PITBULLS

"It was a beutiful spring day in Midland, the kind where you sit outside on your front lawn, bask in the sun and enjoy your neighborhood.

That relaxed feeling certainly didn't last long.

Walking toward us on the sidewalk, with his owner trying to control him on a leash, was a Pit Bull Terrier. This Pit Bull. chisled with muscle and full of about 60 pounds of unbridled energy [color=red](NARRATIVE: Oooh, note the suspenseful melodrama) [/color] , was a handful for his young male owner to try to control.

Relaxation on a nice Spring day? Try fear.

I thought about the owner losing control of the dog. I thought about one of the young children in our neighborhood rushing toward the dog or running away from him. [color=red](NARRATIVE: Here the author is showing his public concern and selfless fatherly protective instinct)[/color]

Then I thought about a headline, "Dog attacks girl" or "Dog attacks boy."

I've been around dogs all of my life, but I will not- EVER- go near a Pit Bull Terrier. And truthfully, because of their reputation for being so aggressive and so vicious, I cannot understand why they're allowed in the city. It's a stick of dynamite waiting to go off. [color=red](NARRATIVE: Ah, here's the first copied and over-used metaphor)[/color]

Midland, like some other cities in this state and others, should ban these dogs. The opposing argument is that Pit Bulls are only as dangerous as the owners make them. Irresponsible owner, Irresponsible dog. Or so goes the srgument. So is there a test a person has to take before he or she is able to buy a Pit Bull? No.

Pit Bulls, in a lot of cases are a status symbol, according to one veterinarian that I talked to. Macho dog for a macho person. In a way it's a power trip to oown one of these dogs. [color=red](NARRATIVE: We have yet to positively identify which vet this is, but also take note that those last sentences were not in quotes)[/color]

But these dogs, with powerful jaws and massive skulls, are not play toys. they're a loaded shotgun, with the saftey off. [color=red] (NARRATIVE: Yay, this one gets my vote for 'most horribly cliche and unoriginal metaphor') [/color]

You get attacked by a Pit Bull and it's not a surface wound. It's a devastating injury which sometimes leads to death. In Midland County, a 5-year-old boy recently devestating injuries after being attacked by the family's two Pit Bulls.

I searched the Internet to find out more about pit Bull attacks. [color=red](NARRATIVE: Nothing more need be said here...) [/color] Here are some of the stories that I found:

-'An 11-year-old boy was recovering from the wounds he suffered when he was attacked by two Pit Bulls as he walked along a sidewalk near his Concord home. Authoritiessaid the boy suffered bite wounds to his arms, legs and abdomen.'

- 'Richmond, Va. (AP) -There was a Pit Bull attack Tuesday in Spotsylvania County, one week to the day after thefatal Pit Bull attack on an 82-year-old woman.
County Sheriff Howard Smith sayswhen a deputy responded to the call, he found a 31-year-old woman bitten on the hand and two Pit Bulls in her backyard- one of them attacking the woman's tethered dog.'

- 'Louise Ellis, whose daughter was five when she was attacked in 1994, is urging politicians not to bow to animal-rights activists, who are against the ban.
"Unless you have witnessed an attack by a Pit Bull, you can't possibly understand the severity of the attack," Ellis told the committee holding the inquiry.'

- 'Kingston- A 77-year-old Kingston woman was attacked by an unleashed Pit Bull Terrier this week, four months after city leaders agreed Pit Bull owners didn't have to register their dogs.
Ellen Bruns was attacked about 1:30 p.m. Monday as she walked on Warren Street, according to Kingston Fire Department records.
Bruns, an avid walker and a familiar face on Uptown streets, suffered two lacerations to her face and a puncture wound to her hand. She was taken by ambulance to Kingston Hospital, where she was treated and released.'

Those are just a few- and there are many- of the stories that are available on the Internet, just by putting in a Google search for "Pit Bull attacks."

Banning Pit Bulls in Midland will not go without a fight. About a dozen Michigan cities have already banned them, and they faced their share of opposition. That's fine.

But, honestly, do you want a Pit Bull Terrier in you neighboehood? On your street? Next door? [color=red](NARRATIVE: Sure, why not?) [/color]

Not me.

----- Chris Stevens is sports editor of the Midland Daily News. Email him at [email][email protected][/email] [color=red] (Narrative: What a blow-hard)[/color]

Sometimes I think some of these articles are faked by people trying to stir up shit. Did you get this directly out of the newspaper or from another post? I ask because we used to use our city newspaper in grade 9 english class to practice proofing and editing and even they wouldn't post this article. It is far too artless and artificial.

I got it right out of the local paper, which is a complete rag in and of itself. I even have a picture of the dolt along with th article so that if I see him on the street I can tell him what a bufoon he is. Or maybe I'll just pee on his shoe. I'm serious when I say that I live in a town full of upitty, self-important busy bodies.

The local news on TV is even better though. Just recently the headline story for two days in a row was of a coyote sighting in a Saginaw suburb! They were really trying their best to make evryone feel like their children's and pet's lives were in grave danger. :roll:

• 4 weeks later...

I can only point out the obvious about why other breeds of dogs are not generally listed in attacks against humans. The most common headlines are about a man, woman or child bitten by dog. End of story.

The stories that list the type of the dog such as pitbull say things like:

flesh ripped from bone
babies head crushed
police had to shoot dog four times to stop it
man had to throw dog off roof to stop attacking
child mauled to death
woman attacked jogging, flesh ripped off arm leading to amputation
woman found in pool of blood in kitchen with pitbull still attached to her childs brains spattered out
neighborhood terrorized by pitbulls with several people badly bitten
loose pitbulls attacked multiple people on rampage through neighborhood
man tries to save child an receives severe lascerations
grandmother drug from her own porch and killed by neighbors pitbull
police attacked by pitbull trying to save woman
dog grabs childs head in jaws and drags him out of his mother's arms
screaming woman finally freed from jaws of pitbull by man only after beating it to death with iron bar
womans finger bitten off trying to save child
woman violently mauled whey trying to save dog killed by pitbull
dogs jaws clamped onto victim with no possibility of freeing him
pitbulls used to guard property escape and go on killing spree

These are all from stories over the last couple years regarding attacks by pitbulls. They are all marked by extreme, unstoppable violence.

Nearly all the owners of a family pitbull implicated in cases like these say the dog was always friendly and never provided cause for alarm.

These types of reports are not seen regarding any other animal in civilized living conditions. These reports sound like reports of wild animal attacks.

I am an avid animal lover and I love all kinds of animals, but I do not believe that we should be forced to accept all animals living amoungst us, especially those that are capable of inflicting horrible damage and are difficult to control due to their size and physical nature. Especially those that have been created by man as a killing machine, a sort of frankenstein experiment gone wrong. There has to be something wrong with these animals when every owner says they were always such loving creatures, before they attacked, maimed or killed someone. Animals which are domesticated should be those that do not pose mortal terror or harm to society.

I live in Italy and I read stories every week about pitbull attacks in Europe and the United States. These attacks earn the title 'pittbull' instead of dog because of their peculiar violence, not because of a prejudice against pitbulls.

From a concerned animal lover who does not believe humans should have to fear 'domesticated' animals in a civilized society. Being attacked by a large, powerful animal with no sense of remorse, no sense of right and wrong is a horrible horrible thing. That is why we have spent millenium eliminating wild and violent animals from our midst. That is why we have created civilization: to create safety for men, women and children.

I agree that people shouldn't have to live in fear of domestic animals, but those descriptions that you provided are examples of what we call media sensationalism. I think it's pretty safe to say that most of those stories come from relatively small local papers and news casts, and it seems that many columnists and reporters have a weird sort of competetive drive to cover the most important story. You might call it 'local celebraty syndrome' or something like that, I dunno. But let me relate to you a story that relates to this, in which I was privvy to most of the facts.

A few years ago when I was living in the Calif foothills, our local small-time paper had an article about a dog attack. The dog in this case happened to be a German Shephard, and the article basically reported that the dog had severley mauled it's owner and took off on a rampage through the neighborhood. A cop, on foot, suppossedly chased the dog for two blocks (which in the country is like 4 city blocks) while it fled from him (still wearing a leash and collar), until the officer finally had to shoot the dog when it turned and headed for a woman and her baby "with a crazed look in it's eyes" (I'll never forget that part). Of course the neighbors all report that the dog was obviously viscious and was often seen roaming around loose.

Now it just so happens that the owners of the dog were clients at the clinic I worked at. They were good relativley responsible people, a man who lived alone with his daughter and the dog wasn't viscious, more like 'squirrily'. He about a year old and so was at an impetuous stage and he had alot of energy. The problem was that the daughter (who was like 18 or 19) was a rather petite and not very assertive, so she did not have control or the respect of the animal. A couple weeks prioir the dog began pulling the girl around by her pants, definately a bad sign, and the problem was not corrected right away which escalated into the girl having many many stitches in her lefy leg resulting fom that mauling. Anyway, the dog took off, a neighbor saw the seen and called the police. There was no foot chase, a few cops drove around until they found the dog and after cornering him against a building they shot him when he snarled at them. The 'neighbors' who reported the dog viscious was in fact only the neighbor who called the police, someone that that had something of a feud with the dog's owners.

So there is a perfect example of how these stories are taken out of context by some small-time jack@ss looking to make his mark.

Are you truly trying to claim that the media makes all this up?!!!!
Having been attached by dogs myself, It is difficult to have sympathy for your dislike of the story and the way it is reported. You may find no sympathy for the small, unassertive young girl unable to control the dog. You may find no sympathy for the woman with the baby being ran at and terrified by a large dog. You may have no sympathy for the police faced by a snarling dog. You may find no sympathy for the neighbors terrorized by a dog. I do. I know the terror of being attacked for no reason by a dog. It may be the small, the weak, or the person with fear who is attacked or on the other hand even the strong, large, fearless people who are attacked by these dogs.
To downplay personal damage to a person by a dog seems to me to deny that the problem is there. The list of descriptions I included were not in small local tabloid papers: they were in national papers.
I agree that many people have these dogs that don't know how to control them, but there isn't any way to effectively make that problem go away besides elimination of the kind of dog which attacks in a manner that is beyond belief. Then there are plenty of people who do supposedly know how to control them, but lose control of them and then they or their children, or grandchildren or complete strangers, or other animals suffer or die for it.
I repeat, that civilization and towns and cities are meant to free us from the fears of nature. They are meant to be free of the kinds of animals which lock their jaws onto men, women or children and won't let go.
I believe that owning animals is a wonderful and joyous experience and that it is a priveledge to do so, but I do not believe that people should have the right to own animals which have the power of doing such horrible things to people. Owners with the best intentions of responsibility lose control of thier animals all the time.
I do not believe that the media is responsible for exaggeration in these cases: these animals have created terror by their physical acts, which has created further terror in peoples minds. It is a human problem because we as humans have created it. It is also our job to end it.
The media can't exaggerate enough the terror of being attacked visciously by a dog, nor can the media exaggerate enough the danger of these breeds of dogs.
There is a big difference between a dog bite and the bite of an enormous dog with jaws that lock onto you and won't let go until you are dead or the dog has been killed. We don't keep sharks in little tanks in our houses, we don't keep bears. We don't keep lions, we have house cats. We should only keep dogs that are sensibly sized and not capable of doing the damage pitbulls do.

[quote name='polly']
There is a big difference between a dog bite and the bite of an enormous dog with jaws that lock onto you and won't let go until you are dead or the dog has been killed. We don't keep sharks in little tanks in our houses, we don't keep bears. We don't keep lions, we have house cats. [b]We should only keep dogs that are sensibly sized and not capable of doing the damage pitbulls do.[/b][/quote]

Wow...umm are you trying to say that American Pit Bull Terriers are some giant monsters? I certainly hope not. This quote was taken directly some the United Kennel Club's website:

[quote]Desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds. Desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds.[/quote]

I've seen much larger and more out of control Labrador Retreivers, we should ban them as well.

[img]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images12/GreatDanealmost200%20lbsdogAlemao.JPG[/img]
Why not ban Great Danes following your logic? Obviously they're capable of doing damage.

An American Pit Bull Terrier is just a dog. It does not have any special abilities nor any special physical features. It is the same species as the Shih Tzu, the Basenji, and the Labradors and Golden Retreivers.

Most people who say their dogs just snapped don't know how to read dog behavior. They don't recognize the warning signs and many problems dogs have that stem from their handlers. They may play rough with a puppy and when it growls/bites laugh it off because who cares? It's just a puppy, can't do any harm. Yet when this full grown, 10 month old puppy knocks a child down and play bites, oh dear lord it's an attack!

Back to your obvious misinformation, are you trying to tell me that my 50lb American Pit Bull Terrier could do more damage to a human than my neighbors 125lb Rottweiler or my aunt's 85lb Lab mix? All of these dogs have rock solid tempermants and would never bite a human, but to say that the smaller of these 3 could do more damage is ridiculous.

I'l refrain from posting cute pictures as it's done a lot, but if you want I can show you quite a few pictures of my dog's best friend(a 6 year old girl) and him cuddling.

[quote name='polly']Are you truly trying to claim that the media makes all this up?!!!![/quote]
Sensationalism doesn't necessarily mean "made up." However, it does tend to be very misleading and deceptive.

Here's only one example out of many:

In my own small town, about a couple of miles from my house, a small boy was killed two years ago. The media was all over it in the papers and on television as a "pit bull" attack. It turned out to be a purebred Great Dane puppy (13 months). When the Great Dane was revealed, the news story dropped from the public eye. So... Pit Bull attack = media circus... Great Dane attack = *insert crickets chirping here* NOTHING. Dead silence on the part of the media. Still, there was one very dead seven year old boy. I don't imagine his parents felt any better knowing it wasn't a pit bull that killed their kid.

Since the general public has no idea what a pit bull really is, nearly any dog can be identified as one depending on who's making the distinction. Since there's so much hysteria and media sensationalism surrounding pit bulls, it's easy for someone who doesn't know dogs well to just say "pit bull."
[quote]I live in Italy and I read stories every week about pitbull attacks in Europe and the United States. These attacks earn the title 'pittbull' instead of dog because of their peculiar violence, not because of a prejudice against pitbulls.

[/quote]
I can't help wondering who's making the distinction and what makes them qualified.

[quote]I do not believe that people should have the right to own animals which have the power of doing such horrible things to people. [/quote]
To believe this would be to believe dog ownership should be banned, period. Any dog of any breed has the power to do "such things to people." For example, the Great Dane I mentioned proves GD's are capable of killing people, but we aren't banning them.

Two weeks ago, again in my area, two Labrador Retrievers (those "perfect" family dogs?) were involved in the near fatal mauling of another seven year old boy. That means Labs are also capable of creating the damage you fear. I see no effort to ban them. ANY dog can be lethal. Using your logic, we should ban ownership of all dogs.

[quote]I do not believe that the media is responsible for exaggeration in these cases:[/quote]
I am not familiar with how the media works in Italy, but I can promise you that exaggeration and sensationalism and sometimes outright lies are fairly frequent in the US, if not "normal."

[quote]The media can't exaggerate enough the terror of being attacked visciously by a dog, nor can the media exaggerate enough the danger of these breeds of dogs.[/quote]
Yes, they can indeed. It is hard for me to imagine trusting the media so implicitly.

[quote]We should only keep dogs that are sensibly sized and not capable of doing the damage pitbulls do.[/quote]
Define "sensibly sized." Who gets to make that distinction? Pit bulls are not large dogs. Are you familiar with the breed standard and can you pick a pit bull out of a line-up? There are many, many breeds of dogs way larger. The Great Dane incident I brought up is only [u][b]ONE[/u][/b] example of the media misleading the public with irresponsible reporting. Surely you don't think that's an isolated incident?

Not being argumentative at all. I'm not a pit bull owner, but no one has ever presented evidence to me that banning them will create a safer society. It will take much more than the BS that the media spoon feeds the masses for me to see any sense in it.

[quote]I am an avid animal lover and I love all kinds of animals, but I do not believe that we should be forced to accept all animals living amoungst us, especially those that are capable of inflicting horrible damage and are difficult to control due to their size and physical nature. [/quote]

"Size and physical nature"? Lots of breeds have the size and power to do horrible damage to a person. And they do. Lots of breeds are much larger then pit bulls are are capable of doing the same amound and more damage. Did you know that a true pit bull is only 30-60 lbs? While a labrador is 60-80 lbs. Which do you think could do more damage?

Just last week a girl was killed by a malamute. A large powerlful dog. Not to long ago where I live a boy was mauled by a lab/rottweiler mix.

[quote]Especially those that have been created by man as a killing machine, a sort of frankenstein experiment gone wrong. There has to be something wrong with these animals when every owner says they were always such loving creatures, before they attacked, maimed or killed someone. Animals which are domesticated should be those that do not pose mortal terror or harm to society. [/quote]

American pit bull terriers were bred for DOG fighting. They were also bred to be completely non aggressive to people. In the middle of a dog fight the fighter had to be able to grab his dog. A dog that would bite its owner was useless, and killed. Thus they have become one of, if not the most stable breed out there. The ones that bite are not true pit bulls, but back yard bred mutts who should be put down.

If you actually read the stories of dog attacks, the true reason is in there. Things like "oh, I don't know what happened, my child just ran up to him while he was chained". A family companion is not kept on a chain 24/7.

And yes, many many attacks are claimed to be by pit bulls, when in fact they are by breeds that looks similar but are NOT the same.

[quote]I agree that many people have these dogs that don't know how to control them, but there isn't any way to effectively make that problem go away besides elimination of the kind of dog which attacks in a manner that is beyond belief. [/quote]

You take away the pit bulls, and another breed will be in exactly the same place. People who own mean dogs do so because they want a mean dog, they could care less what breed it is. So all the pit bulls are gone, they'll move to a different breed. You get rid of that breed, and they'll find another one.

What do you mean by "kind of dog which attacks in a manner that is beyond belief. " All dogs attack the same way. Pit bulls are not superdogs, they're dogs. Just like any other breed.

[quote]There is a big difference between a dog bite and the bite of an enormous dog with jaws that lock onto you and won't let go until you are dead or the dog has been killed. [/quote]

This describes any large determined dog, it is not limited to pit bulls. Which arn't even enormous dogs anyway.

[quote]We should only keep dogs that are sensibly sized and not capable of doing the damage pitbulls do.[/quote]

Whats "sensibly sized"? Pit bulls can be as small as 20 lbs, is that sensibly sized?

You obviously know nothing of the breed. Please do some more research before you spout lies.

I beleive that the Cane Corso is a quite common and much loved dog where you live. How would you feel if you owned one and had to constantly live with complaints, fear, and all around trouble caused by other folks who thought you owned a Pitbull. Well that's exactly what happens here because the media's prime directive seems to be to sow misinformation and fear among the populace.

Oh... And don't you tell ME that I have no symapthy for the people involved in that incident, I knew several of them on a first hand basis, including the cop who shot the dog. Don't tell me that I know nothing about being attacked by animals, because I've had more kinds of animals than what ever fit on Noah's Ark try to take a piece of me. I haven't had any critical injuries, but my fiance has a more-or-less 6x2 inch scar on her right bicep from a dog attck. Yet still even we can still recognize a dog being shot simply for being scared and confused and not knowing that it did anything wrong.

I agree, you can add all the dogs to the list that are of a weight and size that can overpower a human to the list of dangerous dogs. I was not attacked by a pitbull, but a german shephard. No other dog has the locking mechanism though: but add all the variations of the breed to the list of dangerous dogs. I am sure the media just makes it all up though, there are no dogs that kill people. And yes we should just tolerate the danger for the love of dogs.

[quote name='polly'] No other dog has the locking mechanism though: but add all the variations of the breed to the list of dangerous dogs. [/quote]

Pit bulls jaws do NOT lock. That is pure bull sh*t MYTH. Their jaws are no different from any other breed.

Do you even own a dog? Or are you just here to post lies about things you know nothing about?

I'll say it again, pit bulls do not have locking jaws. Its impossible.

Oh, I think I might have found the locking mechanism!

Take a look:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/Pheasant718/adbarandcase315x247.jpg[/img]

See how she's holding his jaw? Every pit bull must have a removable child attached to them to operate the locking mechanism.

:wink:

[quote]I might have to retract my statement about what kind of Pit owner I am...as hubby has kindly pointed out to me that I seem to be more of a short,slightly overweight and female housewifey type of Pit Bull owner....sorry for any confusion caused [/quote]

:lol:
I hope that didn't come as too much of a shock to you.

• 6 months later...

[color=indigo]I think all this non-sense about pit bulls it a bunch of bull-sh**. I have a 3 year old pit and she is the most loving and loyale dog i have ever had. I also have a 2 year old son and a 6 month old infant and i have never worried about my dog hurting my children. It all comes down to how you raise your dogs.. They are just like children if you give them a loving and caring environment you should have nothing to worry about. We should stop blaming the dogs for their behavior and start placing blame on the owners.

• 3 months later...

I am so deeply disturbed by all this. I know the stories, I've heard the testimonies of people attacked by or witnessing an attack of a pit bull. It goes without saying that a pit bull can inflict severe injury, but not many people realize that it's not their bite, it' just the ability to stay latched on to a victim.......in the rare cases that they actually attack without reason.

Many of you that have spoken against the pit bull have NOT DONE YOUR HOMEWORK!!! If you had you would know that through out all the reports and cases of dog attacks, pit bulls make up only 1.8% !!!!!! They just have a demeanor that is more intimidating so people want to focus on their bad behaviors. Golden Retrievers, the all american family dog (and don't get upset I love GRs, just stating fact) are in the top percentile of dogs who attack humans. Pit bulls can be made extremely mean if not handled correctly.......but so can a poodle, or a cocker spaniel (which by the way make it the top of list as well) they just look cute to most people outside of that so they are not defined as killers.
People are so desperate for something to fear that they will choose the most fierce figure to tell bone-chilling stories about. Ignorance, and nothing more, coaches them to see the pit bull as that symbol. Pit bulls are often handled by the wrong people, those who have no care for the welfare of the animal, and only care for how much money it will make them and how many laughs they can get from seeing the destruction of an animals life, that's not human, thats monsterous. Let's verbally attack those people! The ones who do this to a creature without choice!
I adopted what was known as a "bait" dog, meaning she was not yet out into the fighting ring to compete but merely to excite those that would, to get them to build that need for blood , to tease them into doing an evil bidding for their masters. To make their humans happy.......sadly, the dogs do what they are taught. Though she was raised for 2 years in that life, I have never in my life seen a more beautiful and loving dog. She listened better than I could ever hope for, never having done anything to be punished for (after the first week when rules were set). She was an angel that would wrestle with me, sit nicely for children, and sedately rest her head on an old woman's lap. I will never oppose the breed, only the "humans" that cause detrimental damage to the animal's well-being, mentally and physically.
My baby, Lexi, is in puppy heaven now, and I'll never stop missing her and the happiness she gave to me every day that we were together.

• 3 years later...

I live in ontario canada and in our province pit balls are banned, including any pitbull mixes. people who owned pitbulls before the ban were able to keep them but had to get them neutered and their dogs had to be muzzled when in public.

After living in a community with the ban for a couple of years now i can tell anyone first hand all the ban does is

provide unreputal breeders who do not register their dogs uninhibited breeding ability.

punish the good owners and enable the bad owners.

The people who are owning pitbulls for poor reasons arent the ones who are going to follow the rules. The people who need to be legislated arent going to follow legislation.

It hurts me to know that I will never be able to buy a pitbull puppy. It's heartbreaking. I owned a pit bull for years and he was the most incredible dog never agressive wonderful with kids a joy to be around when he passed away I lost one of my best friends and what is the worst is that I will never be able to experience the joy of having a pitbull again.

Regardless of whether or not you think a pitbull is a bad dog or a good dog banninig a breed does nothing to fight any issue a particular breed may or may not have associated with it so it is a moot point. a ban only enables the bad and punishes the good.

How many times does it have to be said that it is the owner and not the dog
yes a pitbull can be agressive so can a pomeranian
yes a pitbull can be dog agressive ... so can huskies
yes a pitbull can bit and severly harm a person so can any other living thing with teeth.
pitbulls are strong willed, determined, and powerful... they require an owner who can be assertive and demonstrate alpha stance in the family hierarchy.
The bad press pitbulls get is because the majority of people who own them own them for the wrong reasons and have demeaned he proper breed characteristics.

A ban will nto help this I know my province has banned them.. it has not done anything to stop attacks or dog fighting all it has done was stopped the good owners from being able to own the good pitbulls and enabled the bad breeders to be able to breed without having to register... pitbulls are a huge thing in puppy mills in ontario now.

There are a number of other breeds of dogs that can do just as much if not more damage than pitbull and a number of other breeds of dogs that also need a strong pack leader.
I think a better way to regulate a strong dominant maybe assertive dog woudl be to have to have certain people obtain a liscense to own that breed of dog.

man stupidity makes me angry

[B][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] [/B]

[B][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]polly read this and then be quiet[/FONT][/B]

[B][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ten Facts About Pit Bulls Every One Should Know [/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2][B]1.[/B] Pit Bulls are commonly used as therapy dogs. Whether they are visiting a senior care facility or helping someone recover from an emotional accident, Pit Bulls are making a mark as outstanding therapy dogs.
[B]2.[/B] Pit Bulls are used in Search and Rescue work. One example of well known SAR Pit Bulls is Kris Crawford and her dogs. Kris and her dogs have helped save the lives of many people during their efforts.
[B]3.[/B] Pit Bulls serve as narcotic and bomb sniffing dogs. One Pit Bull, Popsicle (named that because he was found in an old freezer) has the largest recorded single drug find in Texas history. . Including how he found over 3,000 lbs of cocaine in Hildago, Texas.
[B]4.[/B] Pit Bulls are great with kids. They weren't referred to as the "nanny's dog" for nothing that's for sure.
[B]5.[/B] Pit Bulls are [B]not human aggressive[/B]. The American Pit Bull Terrier as a breed is not human aggressive. In fact, quite the opposite is true of the breed. They are gentle and loving dogs. Like any dog individuals can be unsound and have behavior problems.
[B]6.[/B] The Pit Bull was so popular in the early 1900's they were our mascot not only in World War One, but World War Two as well. They were featured on recruiting and propoganda posters during this time period.
[B]7.[/B] Sgt. Stubby. A Pit Bull war hero. Stubby was wounded in action twice, he saved his entire platoon by warning them of a poison gas attack and he single handedly captured a German spy.
[B]8.[/B] Pete the Pup on the orginal Little Rascals was a Pit Bull.
[B]9.[/B] Pit Bulls score an 83.4% passing rate with the American Temperament Test Society. That's better than the popular Border Collie (a breed who scores 79.6%).
[B]10.[/B] [B]They are dogs[/B] not killing machines.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

wow... what a horrible freakin breed.
a pomeranian tore a chunk out of my but cheek when i was three should we ban them