Dogomania

New way to give tablets

Malamum

Last night we went to give Kira her worming tablets. As we normally do with both dogs Michael held her head back, put the tablet right at the back of her throat, held her mouth closed and tried to get her to swallow - she didn't, and the tablet came out and fell on the floor. Michael was just about to reach down and pick it up to do the whole process again when Kira bent her head down picked it up and ate it herself. It was so funny

I have to give Zeb three Glucosamine tablits every day. Usually he will take them with no problem but occasionally we have to trick him. I will hand them to my brother like it's some kind of treat i'm giving him. Then my brother will "accidently" drop them on the floor in front of Zeb and my brother will yell "No Zeb don't eat my food!". For some strange reason Zeb will eat them all up. What a weirdo. :lol: :roll:

Sometimes we can get speckles to catch a pill in the air. SWhe loves to catch treats that way. Sometimes we use the old back of the mouth and rub trick
Mini always has to be tricked and its got to work the first time or she gets away and hides under the bed. Qwill of course we don't have any experience yet .

My last Golden, named Cracker, had to have heartworm pills every day because he had heartworm when he was 2 years old. When I started giving him pills, I would shove them down his throat, hold his mouth closed and lightly rub his throat until he swallowed it. Then I would just gush over him and play with him. So then he decided that taking pills was really fun! So then I would just shake his pill jar, and he would drop whatever he was playing with and come over to me, sit down, and I would hand him his pill. I called him my junkie dog. LOL

When I had to give Maya pills when she got sick last year, I tried putting the pills down her throat, and she was pretty good about it, but I had long acrylic nails, and she could probably feel them.

So then I decided to smear peanut butter on the bottom of her food bowl. Then I crushed up her pill and sprinkled it over the peanut butter. Then I put her food on top of that. She licked her bowl clean! It worked great!

• 3 months later...

I had the same issue where I tried to feed him over the counter foods, pry his mouth open and all sorts of other stuff as well. I then found this stuff online called Medi Crunch. It's pretty cool as its crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside....he gobbled them right up along with the pill. I use it all the time now. You can get them at [url]www.medicrunch.com[/url]

Good Luck!

there are also places now that will flavor the medicine for pets, like they do for kids. PB is one of the favorite flavors, I understand. of ourse it costs more...

i usually did the back of throat rub down bit, with no issues, but also found that the cat liked his pills (antibiotics at the time) crushed in tuna...you could drown this cat if you fed him tuna while doing it....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Usually if I make a fuss over the pill like its a treat they'll take it. If its a really bitter pill I put it in something to hide the taste. If I tried to force it on them they'd just resist so tricking them is easier. Kavik used to go bananas for his vit C tab.