Dogomania

C@t-loving breed of dog?

DogPaddle

A freind of mine is looking for a dog. Her dog died over a year ago and her c@t died 4 months ago. She enjoys having a c@t and a dog.
Their last dog was a small to mid-sized mutt that adored and played with their c@t all the time.
She really wants a dog that will get on well with a c@t and preferably play with it.
She can if need be get both dog and c@t from puppy/kitten age but will adopt if at all possible.

She would prefer a dog that is between 20 and 60 lbs.
She would prefer the dog not be a massive shedder.
She can offer enough excercise for everything but the most demanding breeds.
She would prefer a very sociable breed as she took her old dog many places.
If everything else was equal and she absolutely could not decide between two different dogs she has a preference for erect ears but its no big deal.

Can anyone suggest a likely breed.
(And any c@t breed suggestions are welcome as well.)

Guest Mutts4Me

Any dog and c@ can get along well from the beginning, but some breeds are more prone to "turn on" to a high prey drive or animal agression later on, although there are always exceptions to the rule.

I think it's great she's looking at Petfinder first. She's likely to find rescues that work out of foster homes and thus a c@ and a dog that already live together, or at least ones that have been proven good with dogs/cats.

Labrador or Golden Retriever.

No, I'm not bias [i]at all[/i]. :oops: I own a Labrador Retriever mix named Kyra, whom has just turned eight years old. She was raised by our cat, Ginger and has brought up our own little Elmo.

This is not just based on Kyra. We have various friends with Labs and Goldens and both breeds seem to show a geniune love for all creatures. Our friends, Luke and Sarah have both a Lab and a Golden. They also have three cats and there are RARELY disagreements between the two different species...

I think it all depends on the particular dog.
Some do well if raised with c@ts and others seem to just naturally get along with them no matter what.
I have 2 Jack Russell Terriers and a Lab/Rott mix and 1 c@t.
They were all brought up together and get along. :wink:

BUT, I don't think the Jacks would be so kind to a strange c@t if they came across one on the outside. :evilbat:

McKenzie loved c@ts. We had the c@t first, then when McKenzie was a puppy we would hold the c@t down and let McKenzie sniff him. Eventually he got used to it. Infact the c@t only liked me and McKenzie, didn't care much for anyone else. They were the best of friends and the c@t even slept in the dog house. Until that is the c@t crossed the line and gave McKenzie a wack on the nose. McKenzie picked the c@t up by the head and shook him. After that the c@t avoided McKenzie.

Then there was my inlaws c@t. HA, this is hilarious, that c@t is scared to death of dogs. McKenzie loved to chase Katie(inlaws c@t) Katie ran in the gazeebo once trying to get away. McKenzie crouched down and watched her, barking the whole time. She was loving every minute. McKenzie thought it was plaly. One time she lunged forwarded and barked really big and poor Katie crapped herself. Honestly my dog scared the crap out of the c@t. My brother in law had to clean the poop out of the gazeebo. I've probably never laughed so hard in my life.

It's all depending on the animal and there age. If they are pretty young they will adjust.