Dogomania

Should I do it? Or no?

gooeydog

We're planning on taking a few of the dogs (Annie and either Haley or Casey and Joey) to an SPCA fundraiser walk in a few weeks, and I noticed on their flyer that they offer microchipping for $25 at the event. I've been wanting to get Annie chipped for a while since she's always out with me (actually, the others could use it too, but they're not mine to make the decisions for), and I don't think our normal vet offers it, so this seems like a pretty good opportunity to have it done. I was just wondering if anyone else had had it done at something like this, as I was a bit worried it might not be done as correctly as at an actual vet clinic, though I guess it probably doesn't require much skill to do. I also remember something from a while back about certain types of chips not being readable by the universal scanners, anyone have more info on that? Or anything else I should know? Thanks :)

I say DO IT! definetely. Our shelter does microchipping automatically with every adoption and I cant count the number of people who have said it helped so much to get their pet back home alot faster. the only thing that I have heard otherwise is to check what company it is through - some are not read by some scanners or something........ in our area the biggest one is AVID. maybe someone else can give you some better info in that area

Guest Mutts4Me

I'd go ahead and do it. I had the adult c@ I captured from my backyard microchipped, but none of the others are. I keep thinking I'd like to get the other c@ that I'm taking with me done, eventually. I will definitely get any dog I adopt chipped though, since they will go outside while the cats do not. Just know that the fee to chip the animal does not include the fee to register the chip :lol:

By all means, do it, it's well worth it! I myself microchip our adoptable dogs if they don't need spay or neuter, it's not difficult at all (unless you get squeamish with a needle :o ).
As for scanners and chips, there are only three microchip companies in the US, the two biggest are Avid and HomeAgain, the third is put out by Banfield, which is Petsmarts chain of vet clinics (more to follow on Banfield in a moment ).
The Avid and HomeAgain chips can be read by a universal scanner (I know this because I have one :wink: ), as most shelters usually only have one scanner.
Banfield, on the other hand, decided to get into the microchip business, however they made their chip system incompatible with the other two companies scanners, which means pets chipped by Banfield won't necessarily be returned to their owners if the shelters can't read the chips .
The reason why shelters won't have the Banfield compatible scanner? Banfield charges 3 times as much to buy the scanner, and no discount for shelters or rescues . Bottom line, I'd stay away from Banfield .

As for using Avid or HomeAgain, I would stick with HomeAgain. We've switched to Avid briefly (we buy direct from them) and out of a batch of 25, 2 chips became duds, and we've been fighting with them ever since to make good on them (my own dog Anna being one of the duds ).
HomeAgain uses a smaller bore needle, has way better customer service, and you can put twice as many call contacts on your list as Avid (up to 50 people). We went back to HomeAgain and never looked back .

Wish I had stayed away from Banfield. I had all 3 done there then shortly after found out about the trouble. They gave us a letter describing the type of chip and what to tell the shelters if one of them get lost. I would like to ring their necks instead. :x

Thanks, all this is a big help :D

I'm really leaning towards having it done now, though I think I will contact them to ask what type chip they use and also see if there's anything else I need to do/know prior (I did know about the registration being extra). I was wondering what sort of reaction the dogs generally have to having it done, especially smaller dogs, since Annie's pretty lean and there's not much fat in the area they inject. I'm not particularly concerned (It's for her own good, whether she likes it or not :lol: ), but would like to have an idea of what's normal, like should they be over it once it's injected, or can they be sensitive of the area for a few days afterwards? Lime I said, I'll be sure to ask them this if we have it done, but I know a lot of people here have experience as well, and I'm taking advantage of that :D

I've never had a dog have a bad reaction, most act like nothing ever happened when they have it done. And I wouldn't worry about Annie being lean, you know where you put Frontline on a dog right between the shoulder blades? Take your fingers and pinch the skin there up in a "tent", if she's got enough to tent, it should be no problem :wink: .

I say go for it.

I can't comment on how the reading of the chips works in the US but the acutual insertion of the chip it so quick and easy there is nothing to it.

Indy came chipped but I took Kira to our vet to get hers done. It was over so quickly that I actually asked "is that it?" Kira herself didn't even seem to notice.

She's got plenty of skin there, this'll sound funny, but I "admire" it pretty often, thinking how easy it'd be to give her Haley's insulin shots (because Hale's a pudge, you have to work to get any skin on her) :lol:

She's generally pretty good for getting stuff done, has never reacted much to shots or even getting blood drawn, so hopefully she doesn't make a fool out of me!

[quote name='Cairn6']Wish I had stayed away from Banfield. I had all 3 done there then shortly after found out about the trouble. They gave us a letter describing the type of chip and what to tell the shelters if one of them get lost. I would like to ring their necks instead. :x[/quote]

I freaked out when I got the letter from Banfield. I had Beckham microchipped last year and was really rather PO'd to think that his chip would only work on certain scanners.

I have a good relationship with our vet at Banfield so I asked her what I should do with Beckham so he would be properly chipped. She said that only 2 dogs from her clinic had received the microchip that letter was talking about. Apparently is was a "Banfield" brand microchip and wasn't widely used. She double checked Beck's records and said that he had a HomeAgain microchip and that is all they use now. When I got home I checked his paperwork & sure enough it was a HomeAgain chip.

You might ask your vet to see which chip they have - hopefully it's not the Banfield brand!

Guest Anonymous

My Moogle has a home again chip, which came with her. Which is nice since she was a free dog.
I really should get Kiani done since she likes to bolt out the door and down the road. I don't have a fenced yard, so whenever I leave, I have to tie her up so she doesn't escape when I get home.
How much is the average cost to have it done and registered??

Dexter has an Avid chip. However... thank goodness my vet noticed this. When he was microchipped at the pound, they gave him the wrong tag that does not match up with his chip number. My vet happened to scan him for whatever reason, and noticed that the ID # of the chip did not match the ID # and registration info that I had. Had he got lost, they would have contacted the owner of some other dog that had been chipped the same day at the shelter. So, bottom line is... next time you go to your vet, have them scan your pet and make sure all the info matches up with the database.

• 3 years later...

Hey!!

I really think you should do it! I have microchiped my lovely dog last summer and it isn't a big deal. Just find a good vet!

I also read this article "Microchip for maximum pet security" at petslovershotels (.com) It's highly recommended!!

See you!!

• 2 months later...